Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Grenadier's big thread of Röntgen related shenanigans

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Sat Nov 13 2010, 09:04PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
On reflection, I must say I am inclined to share Klugesmith's scepticism about an entirely glued structure, and will go back to my first suggestion, which was to use angle irons on the corners, inside and out, which is what I would surely do were the problem mine.
Adam Munich
Mon Nov 15 2010, 03:38AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Well it all depends. If I can find some 60/40 plumbing stuff then I'll solder it. If not, I'll use glue.

I'm not going to use angle irons because that would require me to drill a whole bunch of small holes, and that would create even more problems to solve.
Steve Conner
Mon Nov 15 2010, 10:13AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
In the olden days, large banks of lead-acid batteries used to get their cells joined together by "lead burning". The battery's own voltage was used to weld the terminals to lead busbars, using a lead stick as the welding rod. Maybe you can weld your lead box together in the same way.

Probably not such a good idea in this era of health and safety, but then neither was casting the lead in the first place.
Wolfram
Mon Nov 15 2010, 01:24PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

In the olden days, large banks of lead-acid batteries used to get their cells joined together by "lead burning". The battery's own voltage was used to weld the terminals to lead busbars, using a lead stick as the welding rod. Maybe you can weld your lead box together in the same way.

Probably not such a good idea in this era of health and safety, but then neither was casting the lead in the first place.

I tried this by accident once and was greeted by a large choking cloud of lead vapor. Not recommended.

Anders M.
Adam Munich
Mon Nov 15 2010, 08:41PM
I never intended to try that anyway. Sounds like a good way to destroy my plates.
Adam Munich
Thu Nov 25 2010, 05:18PM
Well I couldn't find any leaded solder no matter where I looked so I ended up getting a roll of thick rosin cored lead free stuff, only because it melts at 430*F. That gives me about a 120* lee-way before the 5% antimonial lead melts, so if I work slowly and have a wet sponge on hand I should be able to solder it w/o too much damage. I plan on soldering the thing together sometime before monday.

Since it's cold now I'll do the soldering inside.
klugesmith
Thu Nov 25 2010, 07:04PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Happy Thanksgiving, Adam.
It's cold here too -- buckets of water were frozen over the last couple mornings.

A lesson from welding class:
Consider tack-soldering all 8 corners of your box before doing any of the long joints.
(or put it together with a few temporary screws, or many angle brackets & clamps).
1) keeps the whole thing square from the outset.
2) otherwise if you start at one end of a long joint, thermal expansion/contraction may cause it to develop an unwanted gap or skew before you get to the other end.

By coincidence, speaking of shielding boxes, I'm about to find out if 5/8" drywall (gypsum board) can practically block x-rays at NST voltage (15 kV RMS). If so, then I'll make a box out of that, this weekend, and play at the limited voltage before getting out the lead and the oil.
Adam Munich
Thu Nov 25 2010, 07:24PM
Yeah I was planning on soldering the corners before anything else. I still haven't decided If I want to solder things from the inside or outside though.

As for staying square, all the sides line up perfectly so I don' think it'll be too hard to do. It's kind of like putting those little birdhouse kits together; everything just fits.

As for your drywall discovery, that's pretty interesting. Y'know what you can do for short experiments is mix lead shot with plaster of paris. That would make castable, yet brittle and clunky shielding. It'd be good for short experiments though. The best part about it is that you can get your lead shit back by simply dissolving the plaster in HCl. Lead reacts very slowly with acid but the gypsum would dissolve away in only a few minutes.
Proud Mary
Thu Nov 25 2010, 08:01PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Klugesmith wrote ...

By coincidence, speaking of shielding boxes, I'm about to find out if 5/8" drywall (gypsum board) can practically block x-rays at NST voltage (15 kV RMS). If so, then I'll make a box out of that, this weekend, and play at the limited voltage before getting out the lead and the oil.

That sounds exciting! I'll be interested to hear how you get on with that. smile
klugesmith
Thu Nov 25 2010, 08:08PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Grenadier wrote ...
Y'know what you can do for short experiments is mix lead shot with plaster of paris. That would make castable, yet brittle and clunky shielding. It'd be good for short experiments though. The best part about it is that you can get your lead shit back by simply dissolving the plaster in HCl.
Did you change the vowel in shot on purpose?
At one summer job we used sacks of shot as weights to hold things down.

1290715657 2099 FT90619 Chilled
One had been creatively modified, sort of like this picture was modified today.
Except in the 70's, the word LEAD was implicit & did not appear on the sack label.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: