Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Grenadier's big thread of Röntgen related shenanigans

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Fri Nov 12 2010, 08:47AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Grenadier wrote ...

So next up is soldering. Not sure how I'm going to do that, may have to borrow a 100w solder gun from someone. I'm going to have to drill an aperture hole in this box, but it'd be useless without one. I also wonder how I'm going to drill a 1.5" hole in hard lead. Maybe I'll have my school's tech dept CNC one.

You could drill a hole large enough to get a rat's tail needle file in, and then work it up till you can get the next size file in, and/or drill a circle of holes, and join up the dots. Drill very slowly to avoid melting and keep the swarf in spirals.

Some angle irons inside and out would hold those corners nicely, as well as providing sound anchor points for grab handles, or mountings of some kind, and adding a bit more shielding.

Some folks might say you've gone a bit over the top, and could have used less Pb, but not me. It's important for peace of mind to be totally confident in your shielding, and if that means erring on the side of caution, so be it.
uzzors2k
Fri Nov 12 2010, 03:02PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Impressive shield, Grenadier!
Adam Munich
Fri Nov 12 2010, 11:29PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
I never thought of using a file, thanks PM. A dremel with a cutoff wheel could work too. I can't cut anything until I solder this box togrther though, and I'll try to get that done next week. But I have a problem... Where will I get some 60/40 plumbing solder? All I can buy now is that crappy lead free stuff.

After I build the lead box, the woodworking will be the biggest job. I have no time to get into my school's woodtech dept though. Maybe before hours I could, provided a teacher would be willing to go to work at 5:30...
Proud Mary
Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:41AM
Grenadier wrote ...

I never thought of using a file, thanks PM. A dremel with a cutoff wheel could work too. I can't cut anything until I solder this box togrther though, and I'll try to get that done next week. But I have a problem... Where will I get some 60/40 plumbing solder? All I can buy now is that crappy lead free stuff.

After I build the lead box, the woodworking will be the biggest job. I have no time to get into my school's woodtech dept though. Maybe before hours I could, provided a teacher would be willing to go to work at 5:30...

I think you may get into difficulties if you try to solder the corners of your slab cast box. Heat will be conducted away from the joint so fast that I doubt that even a 180W iron as used in stained glass etc would be able to make normal soldering possible. An iron which had the wattage to keep the solder mobile as you moved along the seem would probably start melting big holes in the work. There are folk on this forum that know more about brazing and such than I do, so hopefully one of them would share their thoughts with you. If you are going to use solder, it would be plumber's solder that you should be after, much thicker than the electronics grade.

Beyond using cornerless lead cyclinders as I suggested above, how would I tackle the box problem? Probably with the reinforcing angle irons I suggested above on the outside, and perhaps with lead sheet bonded with epoxy on the inside of the corners.
Adam Munich
Sat Nov 13 2010, 02:17AM
Hmm, I think I'll just get a pencil butane torch then. I had one but the butane tank cracked. :( I don't think it would melt holes in these plates, they have quite a lot of thermal mass.

Of course I meant plumbers solder. The problem is I can't buy 60/40 plubers stuff anywhere. There is lead electronics solder here aplenty, but it would take a whole lot of that to weld this together.

I could also just JB weld the hell out of the box too. That stuff is very strong, and oil-proof. Actually I'm going to do that. JB weld or liquid nails would make putting this together very easy and cheap. Then I could use lead sheet on the inside seams to prevent rays from getting out.
Arcstarter
Sat Nov 13 2010, 05:03AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Well, the solder and like likely melt at the same temperature or thereabouts, so in order to get the solder to melt, the lead would have to be close to the same temperature. The large thermal mass only means that it is that much harder to get the lead up to temperature. Maybe it will work, i have never done such a thing tongue.

Proud Mary
Sat Nov 13 2010, 12:59PM
Grenadier wrote ...

Hmm, I think I'll just get a pencil butane torch then. I had one but the butane tank cracked. :( I don't think it would melt holes in these plates, they have quite a lot of thermal mass.

Of course I meant plumbers solder. The problem is I can't buy 60/40 plubers stuff anywhere. There is lead electronics solder here aplenty, but it would take a whole lot of that to weld this together.

I could also just JB weld the hell out of the box too. That stuff is very strong, and oil-proof. Actually I'm going to do that. JB weld or liquid nails would make putting this together very easy and cheap. Then I could use lead sheet on the inside seams to prevent rays from getting out.

I don't know the glues you mention, but will say that surface preparation is everything with adhesives if they are to perform well.

Of course, X-rays can degrade polymers much as solar UV can rot car tyres and discolour plastics in hot countries, but I can't see this being a problem at the doses likely to be absorbed by the adhesive on the reverse side of your lead corner overlays.

I've been trying to learn about the possible production of hazardous organolead compounds that might be liberated by a reaction between the different sorts of resins and lead shot/granules in the making of castable shielding, but as I know even less about chemistry than I do about electricity, I haven't come up with any very reliable-looking conclusions yet. The anti-knocking agent tetraethyl lead is the most famous organolead compound, and there's no keeping company with it, as we all know.
Adam Munich
Sat Nov 13 2010, 03:12PM
Well JB weld is a two part epoxy, and it's very strong when hardened. It's what I used to put together that light emitting antidiode. Link2

Liquid nails is a cyanocarylate based adhesive, and it's crazy strong when hardened. It's often used in construction now when laying floors and ceiling tiles. Sometimes it's even used to hold down flashing and roofing shingles. Link2

As for surface prep, a dremel + a 60 grit wheel would roughen things up quite nicely.

I would stay away from organolead compounds proud may as they are much more toxic than lead metal itself. Just like methyl mercury is much more toxic than mercury metal.

If you want to make castable sheilding, or even better yet a sheild made of a clay like material, why not try lead powder? It could easily be mixed with plasticine. Link2
Proud Mary
Sat Nov 13 2010, 03:51PM
The epoxy sounds right, and the lead internal corners should stiffen the box a bit too. I believe lead can be expected to deform under its own weight over time, so bracing the corners can only help.

As for lead toxicity, I feel confident about working with the metal when wearing gloves, but as you say, the organolead compounds should be avoided at all costs. It's a shame, because the big shielding companies are able to produce a clear water-white acrylic with 30% by weight of lead as a dissolved organolead compound, but there's no way that the little guy could reproduce the safety conditions essential in this kind of chemical process.

That's why I've turned to the idea of castable shielding using lead shot - not my idea, but one that lends itself to low risk small scale production. As a variation on this, I have several low power XRD tubes intended to operate inside an oil cooling jacket, and am looking at the oil flowing through lead shot inside the jacket, which will not only cool the tube, but increase the average density of the lead shot shield.
klugesmith
Sat Nov 13 2010, 06:26PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Grenadier wrote ...
I also wonder how I'm going to drill a 1.5" hole in hard lead. Maybe I'll have my school's tech dept CNC one.
A bit late for this comment, but the easiest way would be to put a 1.5" round core in your mold before the slab is cast! Could be some plaster of Paris hardened in a drinking glass, or a metal pipe or stack of washers that could be knocked out with a hammer, or a tin can full of sand...
With your open-face mold, consider buoyancy of the core.

Also you can use an ordinary hole saw. Keep it cool with a dribble of water while cutting.

As for joining:
Did you make some spare slabs for bonding practice?
I would put a test bond in a vise and break it on purpose.
Bet that a solder bond would be MUCH stronger and more ductile than JB-weld on a lead surface, however prepared. I think you could do the job with tin/lead solder and a butane torch -- don't forget to use flux. Know your melting points.

Could also assemble the box with screws to carry the load -- then seal the seams with material of your choice.

Will your machine be restricted to horizontal or vertical x-ray beams?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: