All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My improved SSTC, first impressions

Move Thread LAN_403
Kipmans
Sat Apr 24 2010, 09:27PM Print
Kipmans Registered Member #91 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 03:03PM
I've been working on an improved version of my SSTC for quite some time and today it was finally time to power it up for the first time. amazed

My previous SSTC was almost entirely based on Steve Ward's mini SSTC. It worked, but not especially well and the MOSFETs exploded on a regular basis. So for this new coil I ditched everything but the secondary coil and started again from scratch.

The first thing I made was a remote control box which also contains an interrupter. The interrupter is a simple 555 design. The on- and off-times can be controlled by using two potentiometers. There is also a knob to select one of six possible interrupter modes, each resulting in its own particular spark appearance. The box connects to the SSTC controller through a shielded 8-core data cable (of which only 4 wires are used, but I could get the shielded 9-pin D-SUB connectors for much less than shielded 4-pin connectors...). There is also room reserved for an audio interrupter, but I haven't made one yet. The small "on/off" switch doesn't have a function yet.

300x225

Then it's on to the power electronics. I made a wooden base on which everyting is mounted in place.

300x225 300x225

The coil is powered by a full bridge with four IRFP-460's. It is controlled by a version of Steve Ward's improved PLL driver. The driver is housed in the aluminium box with the fan (the fan blows directly on the gate driver chips). The relays switch the power to the bridge and are controlled by the "PWR" button on the control box.

The complete setup looks like this:

300x225

I believe the toroid is a bit oversized for this little secondary coil, but unfortunately I couldn't find aluminium ducting with a diameter less than 10 cm. With this topload, the resonant frequency is about 220 kHz. I aimed for 250 - 300 kHz, so I guess it's acceptable.

I tested the coil and so far it appears to be working pretty well. Here are two movies of the sparks at two different interrupter modes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhzaeFpUtM0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jFV6Hma2W4

This is at 120 V AC input. My ultimate goal is to go all the way up to 230 V, but at about 150 V input the coil starts to stutter. I guess this is due to the feedback signal getting messed up. Also, I fear I need more turns on the primary to keep the bridge (or my fuses...) from blowing at the full input voltage.

So far I'm pretty pleased with the results. This coil is already much more impressive than my previous one and there is still room for improvement. One thing bugs me though: I haven't been ably to get current transformer feedback working. Currently the coil runs fine with antenna feedback but I would like to switch to a CT instead as I believe that may solve the "stuttering" problem at higher input voltages. My current CT has a 1:60 ratio. Unfortunately the PLL doesn't lock to the resonant frequency when I connect it (reversing the phasing makes no difference). Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Sat Apr 24 2010, 09:33PM
101111 Registered Member #575 Joined: Sun Mar 11 2007, 04:00AM
I like it, would like to see some pics of what is inside of those Al boxes tho ;)
Mads Barnkob
Sun Apr 25 2010, 06:19AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I like your style, its similar to how I have built SSTCs.

I was just wondering about the little piece of test pcb that you have two relays on, are the tracks underneath wide enough to handle lets say 3500W in CW mode? I could easily pull 2500W in CW mode with my similar coil.
Kipmans
Sun Apr 25 2010, 04:25PM
wrote ...

I like your style, its similar to how I have built SSTCs.
Well, I have to admit I took some inspiration from your Kaizer SSTC's. cheesey

wrote ...

I was just wondering about the little piece of test pcb that you have two relays on, are the tracks underneath wide enough to handle lets say 3500W in CW mode? I could easily pull 2500W in CW mode with my similar coil.
I made the connections with solid copper wire meant for mains wiring, so I'm confident it can handle the power. I have to say though, that I underestimated the power levels a bit as I expected something like 1,5 kW at 100% input voltage.

This is what's inside those metal boxes:
300x225 300x225 300x225

I also tried snapping a picture of the bridge, which was difficult because it's mounted upside down.
300x225

Today, I got the CT feedback working. It turned out that it was a phasing issue after all. With the CT the coil works a little better than with the antenna.

However, I also had a bit of a setback. I was gradually increasing the power level. However, somewhere around 70% of the maximum input voltage the coil consistently stopped working and started producing a suspicious sound. I could not see anything going wrong though, so I kept running the coil at the point were it still worked OK (about 68% input voltage) and pushed the power levels up by adjusting the interrupter settings. Suddenly however, the toroid started smoking. I immediately shut everything down and after taking apart the secondary coil and toroid this is what I found:

300x225 300x225

It seems that the toroid got so hot that it started burning the PVC at the top of the secondary. Also, the glue I used on the toroid to attach pieces of aluminium foil (to make the point were the toroid is joined together look less of a mess...) melted. This caused an awful mess as you can see.

Is it normal that a toroid gets so hot that it can burn the PVC? Also, I think the coil crapping out at 70% input voltage may confirm my fear that this secondary really is too small to handle more than, say, 1 kW. What do you guys think?
Kipmans
Wed Apr 28 2010, 12:45PM
I've given the failure some thought and there appeared to be internal arcover. This is probably also why the output suddenly disappeared: the voltage got so high that the preferred discharge path became something on the inside of my secondary instead of the air.

All this left a burned discharge path at the inside of the secondary. Fortunately, it looks like it didn't go entirely through so the wire is still undamaged and I can Dremel the charred track away.

What I'm going to do next (in a week or two):

- Repair the secondary
- Mount the toroid in such a way that internal arcover is less likely (and also in such a way that I can actually see what's arcing to what)
- Replace the glue on the toroid with something more heat resistant
- Try again and hope it doesn't fail cheesey
Mads Barnkob
Wed Apr 28 2010, 04:03PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Pushing 2kW in CW mode my topload, secondary, primary and heatsinks would heat a good amount.
Kipmans
Wed Apr 28 2010, 07:18PM
Yeah, it's not that surprising really. That 2 kW has to go somewhere...

It's too bad I won't be able to work on the TC for a while, because I really want to get it going again smile
Luca
Wed Apr 28 2010, 08:11PM
Luca Registered Member #2481 Joined: Mon Nov 23 2009, 03:07PM
Kipmans wrote ...

Yeah, it's not that surprising really. That 2 kW has to go somewhere...

Hopefully they should go into the sparks... smile

Luca
Kipmans
Sun May 09 2010, 11:07AM
Yesterday, I spent the whole day making a new toroid mounting (placing the toroid higher) and completing the base.

Here's a pic:

300x225

I managed to drop the toroid on two occasions yesterday, which is why it looks all messed up.

There is, however, a problem. When I still had the coil sitting next to the base, everything worked perfectly. With the new toroid mounting, the sparks were better than last time and toroid heating was considerabely less.

Now that I have mounted the coil on top of the base it only works for maybe 10 seconds and then stops. The only way to get it going again is to turn off the input voltage and wait until the voltage on the bridge has gone down to zero.

I'll have to investigate the cause of this. Right now, I'm thinking its some kind of interference issue.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: