Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Avalanche (41)

Next birthdays
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Photocopier transformers

Move Thread LAN_403
HazzWold 1993
Thu Mar 11 2010, 10:41AM Print
HazzWold 1993 Registered Member #2563 Joined: Mon Dec 21 2009, 10:17AM
Gday all i have a few, well 5 HV units out of photocopiers, and two of them have snapped pcb's and i was just curious as to whether anyone here knows how the transformers operate, would they use high or low frequency, theyre iron cored. and the pcb's use 24 volts is all i know at the moment rolleyes anyways, im a bit stuck on finding theyre primarys. but could i just drive them with a simple oscillator like a 555?
quicksilver
Thu Mar 11 2010, 08:31PM
quicksilver Registered Member #1408 Joined: Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:49PM
I have a few myself: however I am a novice and many here will give you much more detailed information. They ARE HF but I don't have a scope.
For the units to function you should have pulled the boards along with the x-formers. They are often 5kVdc The leads Black & white should be coupled: red lead the positive I have (as an example) what I believe is 12Vdc in thus you couple the blk & white (-) Red to your + supply. They also will have the standard Green stripe ground wire and the thick white "Hot" output. The little spark will be draw between the green ground & the thick white. Remember that you must couple the black & white as a DC - and red as your DC + At least this is what I have seen with quite a few. Appear Ferrite cored similar older model flyback.
These appear to be small flyback appearing design and (mine) can take a DC voltage variant from 10-19 volts without any undue stress. If you know it will handle 24v then go for it. I would not go higher than 2 or 3a in current in any event. I would be careful as they may not be made to handle that much current. Generally in some copiers and laser printers you will find 2 such units with a small "flyback" appearing transformer on each. I believe that they MAY be specifically designed for a laser in certain applications and increasing the input current may strain it.
Notice that either there are no heat sinks or very tiny one. These are NOT made to handle a lot of current or perhaps even time in use. The small pc board attached is the driver which in mine appears to be the most simplest of designs. Driving the unit w/ a 555 is an unknown to me as the small transformers are apparently made to work for a give short term. That being the logical design, building a driver that would allow higher current MAY result in damage to the x-former. I would examine the boards 1st. They may provide a clue as to what type of driver would best suit this transformer application; yours may be tougher. They appear to use a switching transistor and the components and traces are quite small for not being SMD. I would attempt less than 1A at first with a homemade design.

If you have the pieces of the board, you may see that a similar oscillator driver could be made by simply copying just that portion of the board. On the examples I have they have a single transistor of the TO-220 package w/ heat sinks so small that they appear to simply dissipate heat from surrounding ultra small components.
They make a great little supply for testing voltage multipliers and testing high voltage probes as they have mostly .2+ ma they wont burn most things out
Chris Cristini
Sun Mar 14 2010, 02:51PM
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
I have a couple as well they aren't that great TV or monitor flybacks are as good as they come. And if they are iron cored they operate at a lower frequency than ferrite formers all the ones I have are ferrite and they operate at 24V as well are there transistors on the left over board?
HazzWold 1993
Sun Mar 14 2010, 08:25PM
HazzWold 1993 Registered Member #2563 Joined: Mon Dec 21 2009, 10:17AM
i have about 4 iron cored ones as well, there big!
and yes there are full boards, just the boards got snapped

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: