Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Carl A. Willis (44)

Next birthdays
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
10/05 GhostlyFigures (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

CoilGun 'Coil' question

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
mmt
Mon Mar 01 2010, 07:51PM Print
mmt Registered Member #2333 Joined: Thu Sept 03 2009, 03:04PM
Hi,
ok i'm new, in coilguns, and i wanna make one soon, I'have been searching for this information on internt, and also here, on forum.. I dunno how many turns of wire should i wind for my coil for coilgun. Is there any up an down limit for coil turns, and also how many layers, thickness, and insulation of wire? Or is there any formula for these things?

my coilgun will have: 20 000uF/400V cap
charge votlage: 325VDC
switching by massive Thyristor: 1600V/160A
TechNerd
Mon Mar 01 2010, 08:06PM
TechNerd Registered Member #2289 Joined: Thu Aug 13 2009, 02:49PM
Hi

have you checked this site http://www.coilgun.info/about/home.htm
I found it very use full
Barry
Tue Mar 02 2010, 01:08AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
You want the 'on' time to be just long enough to pull the projectile to the center of the coil, but no longer or else it will experience the Dreaded Suck-back Effect. If your coilgun is gated by an SCR (as most of them are) then the timing is a direct result of the LC time constant.

Since the LC time constant is so important, you want to design the coil's inductance L to yield the desired firing time for your capacitance C.

Try this LC timing calculator to help choose the inductance. My experience has been that stage 1 timing usually ends up in the range of 2 - 8 milliseconds, but it depends on many factors.

There are lots of different coil designs (turns, wire size, length, layers, etc) that end up with the same inductance. But it's easy to narrow the choices.
  • Coilguns work best with low winding resistance, so choose the thickest wire you can manage.
  • Coilguns are most efficient when the coil length is about the same as the projectile length, or maybe 10-20% longer than the projectile, so as soon as you choose what you're going to shoot then you know the coil length.
  • The coil's inside diameter must be wide enough to accept the projectile size and the firing tube's thickness.
  • Excess insulation on the wire is basically wasted volume, so we usually use "magnet wire" in which the insulation is a coat of varnish. Besides, it's cheap. But virtually any kind of wire will work.

Now you've got most of what you need to finish designing the coil. Try this inductor simulator and play with the sliders until you get the inductance you want.

Finally, build your coil with a few extra turns. It's easier to remove turns from the coil later on, than to add them. Note: Inductance is turns-squared, and 10% extra turns results in 20% more inductance, so don't get too carried away with adding extra. Just be sure to have some.

Have fun, Barry
"The majority of quotes on facebook are misattributed to famous people." ~ Abraham Lincoln
mmt
Tue Mar 02 2010, 03:13PM
Thanks for your advises Barry! u solwed, lot of my qestions.
In here Link2 I choose capacity 20 000uF. but im kinda confused witch definition of period should i choose, and also the time u said: 2-8mili sec, but thats a quite big induction differance between 2 and 8 mili sec. so this is my new problem, can u help me?
this inductor sim Link2 look really great! im lookin forward to finally design my coil, when i will know that induction.
thx
-Martin
Barry
Tue Mar 02 2010, 09:42PM
Use the setting for "Time for Zero Crossing Pulse". In my experience it yields the closest answers to the right value.

The "time for one full cycle" is only there for completeness and other people not who are designing something other than coilguns. The "time for half power pulse" option was something I investigated on the assumption that the initial leading and trailing edges which represent low current were not going to be important. But it turned out that the whole waveform will definitely affect the projectile.

To estimate the necessary pulse time, we can make a rough guess by assuming constant acceleration just so that we can use basic physics equations. Here's a page about estimating timing. The end result: t = 2d/v

And then your next question will be "what velocity V can I assume?" Well, here's another web page that uses the stored potential energy, the projectile mass, and the assumed efficiency: Estimating Kinetic Energy.

Hope it helps!
Cheers, Barry
A dyslexic man walked into a bra.
mmt
Sat Mar 06 2010, 03:17PM
again, there is another question cheesey for calculation v(speed) i need to know 'e' efficiency and e=KE/PE ,but for know KE i need 'v' again , witch is a circiut error :D , can u help me again?, or here is my specs, as i am soo stupid angry ,i cant caculate these things myself:
V=315V
C=0,019F
m=0,002kg

Thanks!
-Martin
Turkey9
Sat Mar 06 2010, 09:19PM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
it's going to be much easier to measure speed, and I think it's the only way. There are many cheap ways to do it:

Shoot horizontally and measure distance before it hits the ground. Use the position function to find how long it was in flight (same as how long it takes to fall from your barrel height to ground). Then use the good 'ol distance/time to get your v.

Shoot at a board at a known distance and record the sound of it firing and hitting on audacity. Then use the spikes to find your time.

And of course there's always the chronograph!
Barry
Sat Mar 06 2010, 10:25PM
mmt wrote ...

Again, here is another question cheesey for calculation v(speed) i need to know 'e' efficiency and e=KE/PE, but to know KE I need 'v' again , witch is a circuit error :D Can u help me again?, or here is my specs, as I am so stupid angry ,i cant caculate these things myself:
V=315V
C=0,019F
m=0,002kg

Thanks!
-Martin
It's hard to know where to start, since it seems like everything depends on everything else. So to break the loop, we assume something for efficiency, then design and build the dang thing.

So we generally assume efficiency in the range of 0.1% - 1% for a single-stage coilgun and work the numbers from there. Here is an example using your own numbers:

PE = 1/2 C V[sup]2[/sup] = (0.5) (0.019) (315)[sup]2[/sup] = 939 joules

KE = e PE
At the lowest efficiency KE = (0.1%) (939) = 0.939 joules
At the highest efficiency KE = (1%) (939) = 9.39 joules

Solving KE=1/2 m v[sup]2[/sup] for velocity gives us velocity v = sqrt( 2KE/m )
At the lowest efficiency v = sqrt( 2 (0.939)/(0.002) ) = 30.6 m/s
At the highest efficiency v = sqrt( 2 (9.39)/(0.002) ) = 96.9 m/s

From this velocity range you can estimate the required timing, as outlined in previous notes, which subsequently leads to an estimate of the required inductance. And this will give you enough information to design the coil.

However, imho it will take considerable tuning and adjustment to get a 2-gram projectile moving at 30+ m/s. I'm not sure a single-stage coilgun can put that much kinetic energy into such a small projectile; it doesn't have much mass and will most likely saturate magnetically before it reaches those speeds. You should probably consider a heavier projectile (larger cross section) if you want to obtain an efficiency of 0.1% or better. It would move at lower velocity but carry KE and therefore more "punch". Just an opinion. This is why we have to build it and see. tongue

Cheers, Barry
If a beer taste-tester was addicted to his job, would you call him a workaholic or an alcoholic?
mmt
Sun Mar 14 2010, 11:47AM
thx, Barry.
I've made some coils and tested it, and seems i have found the right one,
now i am searching for some LV portable capacitor charger, photoflash charger is very weak and slow..

anyone has some scheme for quite powerfull coilgun capacitor charger?
Turkey9
Tue Mar 16 2010, 12:15AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
Rewind a flyback secondary to give off about 400 volts and run it off a ZVS driver. Works great and a lot of power. Only takes a few layers the length of the side of the core to get to 600v in my experience.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: