Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

charging defibrillator capacitor

Move Thread LAN_403
elecDeb
Thu Feb 25 2010, 05:06PM Print
elecDeb Registered Member #2698 Joined: Thu Feb 25 2010, 04:22PM
Hello to all.

I'm new in this forum and I 'm happy to read many useful information.

I'm not familiar with high voltage and I need to make a test bench for medical devices. This test bench will be used to test external medical systems against defibrillation surge discharges.
To do this I have to charge a 32uF capacitor with a 5kV power supply. As a consequence I require 400J to charge the capacitor. I have been doing several researches on this subject since the beginning of the week.
I found useful information around the flyback DC/DC converter. (documents in attached files for people interesting in this subject). I’m facing several problem now and I would like to have your feedback.
Further to the document in attached file, I compute I peak. It equals to 16,5A. With Ton = 9us; Vin = 12V; F = 50kHz
I have no idea if a such current is compatible with this kind of DC/DC converter.

1 – Am I in the right way to complete my project?
2 – The following link is really interesting: Link2
Up to 30kV can be generated. Is it possible to charge my 32uF capacitor with this output?
How can I compute the current on the HV side? Is there enough current available?
The HR7839 seems to be complicated. Do you know another suitable reference.

I hope you can help me.
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Ben
]801pet22.pdf[/file]
1267117597 2698 FT0 Defib2
MinorityCarrier
Thu Feb 25 2010, 05:12PM
MinorityCarrier Registered Member #2123 Joined: Sat May 16 2009, 03:10AM
The nature of your post sets off all kinds of alarm bells in my mind.

Are these medical devices still certified and in active use?

Are you certified to work on them?

If yes to both of the above, what training/education do you have in electronics?
elecDeb
Thu Feb 25 2010, 06:02PM
elecDeb Registered Member #2698 Joined: Thu Feb 25 2010, 04:22PM
It is not about alarm. I do not want to make a certify device. It is only for test purposes and I will be the only the person to manipulate this capacitor charger.
I usually develop boards with digital components only. I'm not familiar with analog electronic and high voltage.

I hope you can help me through my project.
Sulaiman
Thu Feb 25 2010, 08:04PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Obviously fully charged defibrillation capacitors can be dangerous and you will handle them accordingly.
There is no need to make the charging supply itself dangerous though.

Ensure that the maximum output/charging current is well below that which may cause you to need a defibrillator cheesey
Example, a constant-current power supply with a maximum output of say 2.5 mA would probably be reasonably safe.
To charge 32 uF to 5 kV requires 0.16 Coulombs (Q=C.V)
at 2.5mA that would require 64 seconds (Q=I.t), just over one minute.
Why 2.5 mA ? ... because that's about the limit for a TV/Monitor flyback eht output current for reliability/long-life.
So if a one minute charging time is acceptable then a tv or monitor flyback transformer is a good choice.
Take care though, most designs that you encounter will be for constant voltage or power output, usually stressing the flyback to it's limits.
Designing a constant (peak or average) current output inverter is more complex than constant voltage or power, but not by too much.
The main problem is that at the start of the charge cycle the capacitor 'looks' like a short-circuit to the power supply.

If this is to be done in a professional/commercial environment then considering cost/time/safety regulations etc. your best option is probably to get a defibrilator.

If it's PURELY for personal hobby use then I'm sure you'll get enough help here,
if it's for professional use then liabilities issues arises.

So - hobby or professional?

P.S. If for personal use then a simple solution could be either a neon-sign transformer or an oil burner ignition transformer, with the addition of a suitable diode.
Some may recommend microwave oven transformers - personally they scare me !
quicksilver
Fri Feb 26 2010, 08:06PM
quicksilver Registered Member #1408 Joined: Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:49PM
I feel very strongly akin to Sulaiman on the information he posted. I don't think I could agree more. Often 5Kv supplies with low current are found in laser printers, color copiers, etc. Clearly marked with a word like "DANGER". However those fellows generally have lower current levels than most neon sign transformers.
I also know that VERY knowledgeable people can make a minute mistake or lapse in thought while working on a project.
MOT'S are generally much less voltage than that and have lethal levels of current.... The repeated warnings that those things are lethal are no joke. It's generally a VERY lucky thing to come away from a incident with a MOT with one's life.

If you are not familiar with high voltage experimentation, I would caution you to do everything possible so that IF an accident occurs, you will only learn a painful lesson. MOT's very, very rarely give the experimenter a 2nd chance. Their capacitors also are not forgiving.

I've been working with electrical mains in home building for most of my life & always known that when a certain line is crossed a 2nd chance is often not available. Even when working with low current (it's all relative) the contractory muscle response can harm in ways that are unrelated (smacking your head into concrete).
Even a neon sign transformer can pack a real punch. 20-30mA is no joke what so ever. Where as it's often mentioned that 35mA is the defibrillation "area" of current there are many other factors that can alter that number! Additionally neon sign transformers can (& are) constructed to 60mA. However, they are constructed in a manner, much safer than any MOT.
You can have a great deal of fun and learn quite a lot without starting out with lethal current levels.
radiotech
Sat Feb 27 2010, 01:57AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
The yellow label on these Maxwell 5C32MN-A , 35 ufd 5 kV 400 Joule
capacitors reads:

Danger. The high voltage charge stored in this capacitor is LETHAL and may be retained for long periods. To avoid danger of shock the capacitor MUST BE DISCHARGED BEFORE HANDLING.

Of all the capacitors I worked with, including some hugh ones
these are the only ones so labeled.
1267235833 2463 FT84649 5kv450joule
Proud Mary
Sat Feb 27 2010, 03:53PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Take care that you don't forget to connect a jumper wire between the two terminals once the capacitor has been discharged, or you may find the potential rising again as residual energy tied up in dielectric adsorption is released..
cduma
Mon Mar 01 2010, 05:04AM
cduma Registered Member #1822 Joined: Fri Nov 21 2008, 08:04PM
I would suggest not messing around with these under any circumstances. I am somewhat experienced with HV and I never mess with anything more than a Joule or two.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: