Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Voltage Divider Doesn't Work

Move Thread LAN_403
Dosinski
Wed Feb 10 2010, 09:39PM Print
Dosinski Registered Member #2680 Joined: Wed Feb 10 2010, 09:23PM
Hello^^ I just signup for the forum today, though i've been a lurker for quite sometime.

I've been working on a can crusher and i have managed to rip a few cans in half, but i have been having quite some difficulty determining the voltage of the caps. So far i've just been calculating maximum theoretic voltages of my half-wave rectifier and applied it to my variac.

My voltage divider consists of (5) 15 MOhm resistors in series, followed by (20) 200 KOhm resistors in series. Therefore, the first section of the voltage multiplier has 75 MOhms of resistance, and the second section has 4 MOhms of resistance. Using the equation R2/(R1+R2), i get a ratio close to 1/20th of the original voltage.

Unfortunately, i get less than that. My voltage divider gives me 1/200th of the original voltage. I tested the voltage divider with a 9v battery and it gives me around 450 mV which makes me even more confused.
klugesmith
Wed Feb 10 2010, 10:00PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Welcome!
What is the input resistance of your voltmeter? With analog meters, the resistance generally depends on the voltage range setting (and is often marked on the meter panel).
Dosinski
Wed Feb 10 2010, 11:17PM
10MOhm I think
klugesmith
Thu Feb 11 2010, 03:06AM
My inexpensive yellow digital multimeter has input resistance of 1 megohm.
Even that would not explain your apparent ratio of 1/200.
When making the voltage measurement, do you have a smoothing capacitor downstream
of the rectifier? Otherwise your meter reads the average value of a half-rectified sine wave, which i think is 1/pi times the peak voltage.

We could do a sanity check with some more details about your can crusher. I never got around to posting mine, but with 12 oz cans I can make a detectable indentation with 26 joules, and have cut cans in half with 1000 joules. Haven't seen better numbers posted, but don't want to get into comparative crushing (or Crushing with Finesse) without easy-to-perform, standard measures for the intermediate states. e.g., reduction in height, circumference, or volume. That belongs in a new thread, which must include some references to ancient forum archives.
Dosinski
Thu Feb 11 2010, 03:59AM
My voltage divider is hooked up directly to the capacitors which i would assume would smooth the voltage. Even by multiplying the expected value by 1/pi, i get a value that's several fold more than what the multimeter is reading.

I also took readings on my oscilloscope and found the voltage to be extremely smooth on the voltage divider. Little to no sign of ripple.

The resistors are also not bad. I tried another voltage divider a couple days ago with (1) 10 MOhm resistor and (1) 200 MOhm resistor. This arrangement gave me 1/100th of the voltage when it should of given me 1/20.

And this is why i am getting quite confused xD
klugesmith
Thu Feb 11 2010, 04:20AM
Dosinski wrote ...
I tried another voltage divider a couple days ago with (1) 10 MOhm resistor and (1) 200 MOhm resistor. This arrangement gave me 1/100th of the voltage when it should of given me 1/20.

It was a surprise to find that my voltmeter input was only 1 megohm. If you don't have another meter with which to measure yours, try this: Measure a 9V or 12v battery, or mains voltage, directly with your meter. Then measure it again with a 10 megohm resistor in series with your meter, and see by what factor the indicated voltage goes down.

What is the voltage indicated by your oscilloscope? (taking into account the 'scope probe input impedance, and any series resistance).
Dosinski
Thu Feb 11 2010, 04:49AM
I was looking at the wrong datasheet of my voltage meter. It has 1 MOhm input. I can't test a 9v with my voltage meter because it's digital and it only gives voltage in integer increments. But i did test my oscilloscope which has also has 1 MOhm. I hooked up a battery that had 9.8V. When i put a 15 MOhm resistor in series, it dropped the voltage to .7V. I could only assume the same thing is happening with my voltage divider.

If it is the resistors that are causing this, how do i get around this problem?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: