Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ZVS inductor

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Meatball
Tue Feb 09 2010, 11:55PM Print
Meatball Registered Member #2401 Joined: Mon Sept 28 2009, 04:25PM
I have ordered the parts to make my first ZVS for my AC flyback. I've heard so far that a recommended inductor value should be about 50uH. I also read that this inductor value will result in "hotter", thicker arcs because of more current flow.

I'm not really after the white hot arcs, I'm more into the thin streamers, that look more electrical, instead of flame like.

Because of this I ordered a 49uH inductor, and a 150uH inductor. So if the 150uH inductor results in less current flow from the secondary, will my arcs be more stringy? Will this result in higher secondary voltages as a result?

I'm also looking to construct the circuit on a piece of fiber board,

any recommendations for mounting and securing the flyback?

Thank you for the recommendations!

-Tyler
Arcstarter
Wed Feb 10 2010, 02:00AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
The 150µH inductor will have more stringy sparks, yes. But, it will ne result in higher voltage. If you want higher voltage, since the inductor will limit the current more, you can use less primary turns. That would get more voltage.

What do you mean mounting and secure the flyback? To what? I always made my Mazzilli drivers point-to-point. It makes it tiny, it looks cool, it is easy to solder, but it could make the mosfets harder to change. If you made it point-to-point using terminal block like i did, it is no problem though,
Zeus
Wed Feb 10 2010, 09:47AM
Zeus Registered Member #2316 Joined: Tue Aug 25 2009, 03:04AM
Another spark fancier; I am not alone. If you are looking for sparks rather that arcs, can I suggest a 555 based driver.
I've found that driving flybacks with pulsed DC gets sparks more than arcs.
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Feb 10 2010, 11:33AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
The inductor does not limit current, it is used for current filtering - to supply more or less constant current through each cycle.
If decreasing the inductor value changes the output, this means it's no longer filtering the current adequately and might result in less efficient operation so a higher value should be used.
brtaman
Wed Feb 10 2010, 02:54PM
brtaman Registered Member #2161 Joined: Fri Jun 05 2009, 03:36PM
Zeus wrote ...

Another spark fancier; I am not alone. If you are looking for sparks rather that arcs, can I suggest a 555 based driver.
I've found that driving flybacks with pulsed DC gets sparks more than arcs.

I second this. If you are looking for sparks the 555 flyback driver is the way to go. If you are looking for power arcs then ZVS.
Meatball
Wed Feb 10 2010, 04:21PM
Cool, so I'll try 4+4 turns, or 3+3. Whichever works better with the 150uH coil.

The ZVS appears to be the most powerful driver, so I chose it to take more advantage of the AC flyback I have.

I'm hoping to use some fiber board, like was used here:

Link2

However, since this is to become a complete HV DC Power supply, I will need all my components contained in one enclosure... one that it somewhat portable.

So naturally, It would not be good to have my flyback freely bouncing around inside. I would like to way to protect the ferrite core, and the remaining pins on the coil. My flyback looks like this:

Link2

I thought that I may just use zip ties, or loads of glue around the base. So long as it is secure, and can't arc to anything, it should work for me.

I thought about using the 555 driver, and then using an amp, but I figured that would be tricky to keep consistently configured. I don't myself with control over frequency, and the amps gain! I'm too power hungry I guess..

I'm going the ATX route to power the ZVS. But current limiting could be an issue...

Getting 24V could be an issue too. I'm not sure if 12V will be enough.

Thanks all!
brtaman
Wed Feb 10 2010, 04:27PM
brtaman Registered Member #2161 Joined: Fri Jun 05 2009, 03:36PM
You can always series or parallel the computer PSUs. Have been doing this for a while, as I am too cheap to buy a decent x00W transformer. cheesey

I have 3 12v ~12amp ATX PSUs in series for my ZVS induction heater giving me a nice healthy >400W 36V power supply to play with. Though it will certainly impede your need of portability.
Meatball
Wed Feb 10 2010, 06:14PM
I like that idea brtaman... I'll have to find another PSU to up to the voltage. Those ATXs are compact enough... I can make 2-3 of them portable enough...
Zeus
Wed Feb 10 2010, 11:24PM
Zeus Registered Member #2316 Joined: Tue Aug 25 2009, 03:04AM
If I've read your post correctly, you want a HVDC supply. How do you intend to rectify the 20 to 60kHz output.
Unless this is going to be a surprise, in which case I completely understand.
Meatball
Thu Feb 11 2010, 04:33AM
I actually have a HV voltage tripler. It is of considerable size, and should not have to be "pushed" to a dangerous extent. I will have to find a way to make the tripler, something that is switchable. I'd like to make use of HV AC as well. However, the tripler is nice since it kicks up the voltage considerably. I shouldn't need any extra smoothing on that output should I?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: