All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Most efficient High Voltage method

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Turkey9
Tue Jan 26 2010, 01:26AM Print
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
So here's the deal: I need to go from 120 to around 10 kV DC. I don't need it to be very high power, preferably below 10 watts. And I want it to be as efficient as possible. It doesn't even have to be a constant source. A pulse of DC of at least 20 mS is needed however.

I'm thinking that a multiplier circuit driven by a small inverter would be pretty good but I have no ideas about efficiency. Maybe just a simple flyback like design would work. And there's no issues about making my own transformer.

The input voltage and power is pretty flexible but I'd like to keep it below mains rectified and smoothed (120 were I live).

Thanks!
dmg
Tue Jan 26 2010, 05:06AM
dmg Registered Member #2628 Joined: Fri Jan 15 2010, 12:23AM
here's an idea: you could have a high frequency push pull driver (like ones in disposable cameras), then either use a prewound flyback, or wind yourself a ferrite transformer with a high voltage secondary (about 1-2 KV output) and then you can feed that output to a half wave cockroft walton multiplier to get that DC pulses, using this method I think you can even go bellow a 120V input,
properlly designed, you can step up faily low VDC input to the 10KV you need,
may I ask what do you need this supply for?
Turkey9
Tue Jan 26 2010, 05:22AM
It's for ionizing the fuel of a propulsion system that I'm building. It has to be pretty close to DC, but needs only supply a DC current for at least 20 mS. Constant DC is fine but I know that multipliers need insanely large capacitors to get constant DC at any current worth mentioning.
dmg
Tue Jan 26 2010, 06:21AM
dmg Registered Member #2628 Joined: Fri Jan 15 2010, 12:23AM
In that case, I think you should build a flyback driver for an AC flyback then put a fullwave rectifier (bridge) on the output of the flyback transformer, the newer ones have an inbuild half wave rectifier so If you got an AC flyback its easier to smoothen the output, this setup however may eat more then 10 watts,
pehaps a smoothening capacitor if you have one rated for the 10KV at a decent capacitance
as for the driver, you can build a low power ZVS or a transistor based driver.

another method is too use some kind of a vacuum rectifier like a thyratron, although I dont know if there are any that can handle 10KV.
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Jan 26 2010, 09:40AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
For this I'd go with the IR2153 (or similar) half-bridge driver chip supplied from a little mains voltage transformer (12-15Vac 0.5VA) and a 78L12 regulator. This chip draws almost no current by itself, but of course it needs a little power to drive the gates.
This would drive a half-bridge of IRF630/640 MOSFETs and a diode-split flyback transformer (can be small) with a lot of turns on the primary winding to keep core losses down and still get 10kV.
I think a >=90% efficiency should be achievable smile
Turkey9
Wed Jan 27 2010, 04:38AM
Do you think that I should supply the bridge with 12 v? I have a 12 vDC supply for other parts of my project but I imagine that the bridge would have to be isolated from the rest of the circuit. Am I correct in thinking that?

As for the flyback, I have a couple small ones and they are internally rectified, but only by a single series diode on the output (discovered by dissecting a few). This isn't a problem, is it? It seems like I heard the diode split ones use some sort of multiplication scheme inside them.

And when you talk about a lot of turns on the primary, are you talking about something like 30-40? Or more than 50?

EDIT* Wait I see from the data sheet that the normal application uses the chip supply as the bridge supply too. Wow, I love that little chip!
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Jan 27 2010, 08:05AM
I meant to run the bridge off-line (rectified mains) and supply the chip from a little transformer. A dropper resistor from main DC supply can be also used, but it might waste a watt or more and drop your efficiency.

If run from 170V DC, Id try something like 40 turns at first and then remove turns if the power is not enough, frequency ca. 40kHz
Turkey9
Wed Jan 27 2010, 08:41PM
Ok thanks.

What size capacitor do you think that I would need to get at least a semi filtered DC output?
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Jan 27 2010, 08:55PM
I guess two ~100-220uF 100V caps in series (center tap for transformer primary) should be sufficient for 10 watts...
Turkey9
Thu Jan 28 2010, 12:05AM
i meant for the high voltage side.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: