Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Help, Building Coil Gun/ ETG

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
kcedge
Mon Sept 28 2009, 02:32AM Print
kcedge Registered Member #2397 Joined: Mon Sept 28 2009, 02:21AM
I am looking to build a coil gun and an ETG

I have started building these things using Camera capacitors, and I have a bank that is about 1.2kj, but after my 15th camera charging circuit blew today with i have decided that I need to move away from cameras.

I was thinking that I want to build something with the large electrolytics but I do not know where to buy them, how to charge them, and what I need to safely trigger them.

The mechanics of the guns are easy as I work in a machine shop, but any help is appreaciated.
Hon1nbo
Mon Sept 28 2009, 05:12PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
you can buy the capacitors from a lot of places, but it really depends on what kind of Energy you are looking for ( PE = 1/2 * C * V^2 ) - so depending on what values you end up using you may be able to harvest from objects, or have to order online...

I currently get my caps from ebay, ( 5600 uF @ 500V) and if this is your first time custom building a Bank, Charger, and Firing mechanism I personally do not recommend caps with 700 Joules a piece
If I remember Alltronics also has some decent caps

but for a first time complete build, maybe you should stick with your photoflash caps and build a custom charger and firing switch so that you can get a feel for how things work without shelling out money for big caps when you have never built a coilgun all the way from the ground up before

as for charging, again it will depend on your desired voltage and overall Energy - if you kept using your photoflash capacitors in a large array of, say, 300V then you could use a Boost Converter or possibly a transformer (do keep in mind to put diodes to prevent a reverse pulse from entering your charger, and that may be why your cameras keep failing - coil guns can kick back quite an electrical spike and the diodes keep this spike from damaging your capacitors and charger circuit)

and for firing, an SCR is most commonly used - or if you use an IGBT of appropriate ratings you could actually control the duration of the pulses from the bank to get optimum results, more energy is not better if you don't use it right

if you are unfamiliar with these things then I highly recommend you do some research - google helps, though I do understand there are so many coilgun designs that it may be confusing at first. Also the Wiki here has some information that might be very useful to you.

as for the ETG, I recommend you wait on that until you have more experience with Pulse Power
kcedge
Tue Sept 29 2009, 02:15AM
kcedge Registered Member #2397 Joined: Mon Sept 28 2009, 02:21AM
Where can I get a transformer like that? Do I need to build one?

Thanks for the help.
kromsson
Tue Sept 29 2009, 05:05AM
kromsson Registered Member #1444 Joined: Tue Apr 15 2008, 06:55AM
The voltage of a capacitor (and of the charging circuit obviously) is of utmost importance, as it is squared!

So you should go for a voltage of 450V (which is very common) or 500V (quite rare) or something like that.

The capacitance then should be the greatest available at this voltage (maybe 600 uF or sthg like that).

The cost would be about 40-60 $ each, and you need a few (3-4 or more) in order to build a gun with ballistic energies available - that doesn't mean ballistic velocities though!

E-bay has some stuff but NOT that many, although a search on ebay will give you some interesting links of sponsoring webpages that sell electronics.
Hon1nbo
Tue Sept 29 2009, 12:29PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
kromsson wrote ...

The voltage of a capacitor (and of the charging circuit obviously) is of utmost importance, as it is squared!

So you should go for a voltage of 450V (which is very common) or 500V (quite rare) or something like that.

The capacitance then should be the greatest available at this voltage (maybe 600 uF or sthg like that).

The cost would be about 40-60 $ each, and you need a few (3-4 or more) in order to build a gun with ballistic energies available - that doesn't mean ballistic velocities though!

E-bay has some stuff but NOT that many, although a search on ebay will give you some interesting links of sponsoring webpages that sell electronics.

600 uF at 450V would only be 60 Joules, very low - you used to be able to get 1.2 kJ from Alltronics for about $30, but that deal may be gone - and caps of decent rating will not cost that much each, even in store locally I would never pay that much (I think it is between $5 and $10 for a decent 400V one)

frog
Wed Sept 30 2009, 08:57AM
frog Registered Member #2400 Joined: Mon Sept 28 2009, 10:04AM
Hey, to charge my capacitors i use the circutry from a 12v compact fluoresent light. These have a compact inverter which you can rectify with some diodes. It charges my 80J capacitor bank to 400v in 20s so maybe 2 or more in parrellel would help.
kromsson
Thu Oct 01 2009, 06:07AM
600 uF at 450V would only be 60 Joules

Correct!

I should write 60000 uF, something like this:
Link2

which is 62.000uF=62mF, 450V ===> 6kJ(!!!)

A dangerous thing to play with...

(Note that they accidentally write it is 620.000uF, which is of course a mistake...)

Cost : about $150 from a retailer.
rp181
Thu Oct 01 2009, 12:20PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
It is a typo, the max capacitance for 450v is 9200uf, look at the datasheet.
ZapHappyPrimate
Thu Oct 01 2009, 12:49PM
ZapHappyPrimate Registered Member #2393 Joined: Sun Sept 27 2009, 07:36AM
Televisions usually have ~400V, 220uF's in them, if you have old TV's lying around, (as everything's going digital, there should be a pile of oldies in any western city...). I volunteered some time recycling old TV's and computers a while back, got 'puter fans, heatsinks, flybacks, and caps...:-D great place for parts.
kromsson
Fri Oct 02 2009, 06:44AM
rp181 wrote ...

It is a typo, the max capacitance for 450v is 9200uf, look at the datasheet.

Wrong, the datasheet is common for all caps. Look carefully at the datasheet, they say "look at the product specifications for actual values".

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: