Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Large DRSSTC [update]

Move Thread LAN_403
Linas
Thu Jul 17 2014, 12:41PM
Linas Registered Member #1143 Joined: Sun Nov 25 2007, 04:55PM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Are you sure the driver is the problem? It sounds like it could be a similar problem that Kizmo and I had, residual MMC charge that messed up the drivers edge detection.

Topics about it: Link2 and Link2

Original design works, i mean simple CT + 74HC14 +UCC, but you know, i want to have better ZCS than have now, as far as i understand, it can yield more life out of CM600. I hade this problem right from the start with predictor.

So all i have to do is to place bleed resistors on my MMC, and try it again ? (or i must add on each capacitor ?, that will give better balancing)
Mads Barnkob
Thu Jul 17 2014, 01:07PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Linas wrote ...

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Are you sure the driver is the problem? It sounds like it could be a similar problem that Kizmo and I had, residual MMC charge that messed up the drivers edge detection.

Topics about it: Link2 and Link2

Original design works, i mean simple CT + 74HC14 +UCC, but you know, i want to have better ZCS than have now, as far as i understand, it can yield more life out of CM600. I hade this problem right from the start with predictor.

So all i have to do is to place bleed resistors on my MMC, and try it again ? (or i must add on each capacitor ?, that will give better balancing)

If you are still using your CDE 942C MMC, it would be a good idea to add bleeder resistors on every single capacitor to insure there is no residual charge. The reason we used one large resistor on the inverter output was to avoid building high voltage resistors to put across the large GTO snubber capacitors we have used.
Linas
Thu Jul 17 2014, 01:31PM
any particular value should be used?

i have 0,56uF 1600V, 5 in series, 6 in parallel, if i add 5W resistor for 1600V, that will be 512K on each capacitor, and at 8KV i will dissipate around 150W into paraffin filler that is inside my MMC capacitor (no air cooling, only large paraffin bock). Sounds ok ?
Steve Ward
Fri Jul 18 2014, 07:46AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I think its much better to put the resistor at the inverter output because power dissipation will be much lower (less peak volts there).

You could still add high resistance bleeders to the MMC caps if you feel there is a risk, but dissipating 150W is a lot.

Its funny how many ways the driver can fail to start nicely. I wrote a paper about why the bleeder on the inverter output works:

Link2

Hope that helps explain it.
Linas
Fri Jul 18 2014, 08:31AM
Steve Ward wrote ...

You could still add high resistance bleeders to the MMC caps if you feel there is a risk, but dissipating 150W is a lot.

150W is peak power if capacitor voltage will reach 8KV. in reality worse case scenario will be duty cycle multiplied by peak power, for my system that will be 150W*0.38. That translates only to 57W. now if we consider that i have AC voltage ( which i do ), total power level will never reach 57W/sqrt(2) and that is only 40W. This is nothing, and i can live with that.

I am also using comparator to generate feedback, that can be adjusted in +-100mV range around zero, and i have clamping diodes to comparator power supply. As far as i remember, i never get any problems with oscillation, and instability, i just don't get clean signal in IGBT Vce waveform. And of course my driver use GDT only for insulation, i have additional power stage to drive IGBT fast, and i GDT will always get waveform that integral over one period will be zero.

Anyway, plan is to add 9W 300K resistors on each capacitor, and add inductorless resistor on IGBT output at around 10K, that will dissipate around 11W at worst case running at highest power setting with largest Vbus voltage.
Linas
Sun Jul 20 2014, 10:57AM
I have idea.

If i feed signal generator to my feedback 74HC14 chip (just after feedback comparator and delay circuit), and i sweep my LC series circuit with CM600 H bridge, at some frequency i will get perfect zero current switching, and this will be my reference how good signal can be ? (since i will not have any delay in feedback circuit, so H bridge at resonant frequency will be forced to work in ZCS mode)

Does that make any sense ? (also, at this point, if i take my CT feedback, i can calculate how much lag i have, and how much compensation i need )
Linas
Thu Aug 14 2014, 07:19AM
Since i am redesigning my coil driver, i will remake my current transformer as well.
Right now i am using 1:300 transformer, made from single core.

My question is, do i make single 1:500 or 1:1000 transformer, or i should do 1:33:1:33 from two toroid's ? which is better for phase lead application ?
Also, what is best core material for this ? my coil is around 50kHz +-20kHz

1408000969 1143 FT66676 Untitled
Steve Conner
Thu Aug 14 2014, 08:57AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Re core material, highest permeability is usually best for GDTs and CTs. 3E25 in this case, though I think 3C90 would work well too.

I've always used a single CT, 1:33 for smaller coils and 1:100 for bricks, and just made the burden resistance smaller.
Linas
Tue Aug 26 2014, 08:33PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Re core material, highest permeability is usually best for GDTs and CTs. 3E25 in this case, though I think 3C90 would work well too.

I've always used a single CT, 1:33 for smaller coils and 1:100 for bricks, and just made the burden resistance smaller.
Ok, i will use 3E25. Now if i have 1:100 for my feedback, what would you recommend for CM600 full bridge with 2-3kA peak current ? ( since i had 0Ä® success with predictor, i will better ask what should i do, than try with my own logic, that get me nowhere )

Copy
Mads Barnkob
Thu Jan 29 2015, 08:20AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Hey Linas

Do you have any news on your coil and very long work process to share? :)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: