Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Large DRSSTC [update]

Move Thread LAN_403
Linas
Sat Apr 06 2013, 04:57PM
Linas Registered Member #1143 Joined: Sun Nov 25 2007, 04:55PM
just small update.
I connected all electronics, and finaly made synchronization board for all protection, (saturation, overrcurrent, and Ton(max) limiting)
problem is that saturation detections works too well, and just cut IGBT driving signal at 2-5% max power. So i will find out what is the maximum safe rating for CM600 , and tweak voltage divider for saturation detection, and what should work with no problem.
Just 5A 220V and i already don't have enough space smile

this use Predictor, just i use 0.5R resistor, and 22uH inductor, and timing resistors set to 0 .

for saturation detection fault . MC33153 trigger fault when on voltage is 6.5V, but i have +18Vge. so i should not get any desat detection error, strange. (for Desat detection i used UF4007 diodes, 1K resistor in series, and small capacitor (100pf range to get that spike from turn on/off)
does any of this make sense?
1365276500 1143 FT66676 Vi
1365276500 1143 FT66676 Mc
Kizmo
Sun Apr 07 2013, 10:58AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Its the module internal inductance that makes the voltage over C-E terminals be far greater than the actual voltage drop over the igbt dies.

This was discussed some years ago and if i remember correctly these big modules can have (depending on current of course) 10s or even 100s of volts over C-E terminals due to their inductance. This is mainly a problem in our drsstc applications where we pass "too high current" at "too high frequency" through these poor transistors :)
Steve Conner
Sun Apr 07 2013, 12:12PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, I saw something like 50-100V across the package inductance of CM600s in my OLTC experiments.

An elegant solution would be to cancel it out with an equal and opposite voltage from a Rogowski coil wrapped around the collector lead. The ghetto solution is to forget about desat protection, which is what I did. smile
Linas
Sun Apr 07 2013, 03:47PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Yes, I saw something like 50-100V across the package inductance of CM600s in my OLTC experiments.
I forgot i have inductance ( well, i just assumed it's too low to get any efect for desat detection)
lets makes some calculations:
if i have 6.5V and 45KHz, and lets say transistor Vce is 3V (lets say 1000A)
so 3,5V voltage generation via L.
3.5=I*R
R=2*pi*45k*L
L=38nH
hm, i don't know what to think... ill , i just can't say i had 1000A, basically it will trigger when interrupter allow two periods to primary coil, so at best i had 100 or 200A, so that means around 2V and that work out to 80nH.
so i have to assume that i have around 100nH and add voltage divider to make compensation ?

In that case it works out for 4000Apeak i have 113Vl+4Vce and divider should be 18x
Steve Conner
Mon Apr 08 2013, 10:44AM
If you set your desat trip to 113V, then it won't be sensitive enough to detect the desaturation.

The voltage across the package inductance is proportional to di/dt, so it's 90 degrees out of phase with the current, hence it falls to zero as the current reaches its peak. That means your IGBT has to desaturate by the full 113V before it'll be detected.
Linas
Mon Apr 08 2013, 11:45AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

If you set your desalt trip to 113V, then it won't be sensitive enough to detect the desaturation.
So i will have simple Current protection. So that is not that bad.
If will be fancy way of measuring Ipeak neutral
Paul Benham
Sun Mar 23 2014, 12:27PM
Paul Benham Registered Member #570 Joined: Wed Mar 07 2007, 03:41PM
I've got some large IGBT modules and they have separate collector and emitter connections for de-saturation detection, I guess they connect back directly to the die.

Maybe its only possible to implement the de-saturation detection with these kind of modules?
Steve Conner
Wed Mar 26 2014, 10:26PM
Yes, Kelvin connections make it much easier. Also bear in mind that we are using the IGBT modules at much higher frequencies than they were designed for. In a large inverter drive they might only switch at 5kHz. That gives plenty of time for the L*di/dt voltage to die away, so you can get a more accurate reading of the saturation voltage.
Linas
Thu Jul 17 2014, 11:05AM
Does any one developed better controller for CM600 bridge than Predictor ( which does not for for me somehow ) ?
if yes, can some one link schematics ?

Also in related topic, if club want to use my DRSSTC for show start and end ( so like 5 min run at show start, and 5min run at show end) , how much should i take for this job ? ( since i have to fix my coil, transport 300hžkm away, use one day to set it up, and when after the show go back home again, 300km)
Mads Barnkob
Thu Jul 17 2014, 11:39AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Linas wrote ...

Does any one developed better controller for CM600 bridge than Predictor ( which does not for for me somehow ) ?
if yes, can some one link schematics ?

Also in related topic, if club want to use my DRSSTC for show start and end ( so like 5 min run at show start, and 5min run at show end) , how much should i take for this job ? ( since i have to fix my coil, transport 300hžkm away, use one day to set it up, and when after the show go back home again, 300km)

Are you sure the driver is the problem? It sounds like it could be a similar problem that Kizmo and I had, residual MMC charge that messed up the drivers edge detection.

Topics about it: Link2 and Link2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: