All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Plasma speaker circuits

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Franky
Fri Jan 30 2009, 10:43AM Print
Franky Registered Member #1940 Joined: Tue Jan 27 2009, 02:34PM
I’m looking for new and better circuits for my plasma speaker. I first build one with a 555 and a mosfet. The results were not too bad.
Circuit: Link2
Movie: Link2

I was able to understand this circuit. I even made some modifications to the circuit.
After building this plasma speaker I started searching for better circuits. But they are too difficult for me to understand. And that’s where I need your help. I found the following circuits on the internet. What is the best circuit? I want greater arc length and better sound quality.

Circuit 1
Link2

Circuit 2
Link2

Circuit 3
Link2

Circuit 4
Link2
With the following modification
Link2
(Source : Link2

Circuit 5
Any other circuits?
Mads Barnkob
Fri Jan 30 2009, 11:57AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I can see you used my schematic for your first, how long is your arc from that high voltage? Adjusted to resonance I can get about 20mm from 12V.

For simplicity you could go with Circuit 1, its rather simple with a TL494, read the datasheet and you will understand the control part. Its driving a half bridge with requires a minimum of components compared to a fullbridge.

Better sound quality would be a mix of stable arc, high pass filter on the audio input, I really dont know about removing static noise.

Franky
Fri Jan 30 2009, 12:49PM
Franky Registered Member #1940 Joined: Tue Jan 27 2009, 02:34PM
I'm using somewhere around 30V on the flyback and the mosfet. My arc was max 50mm. It could make some noise smile

MadsKaizer wrote:
For simplicity you could go with Circuit 1, it’s rather simple with a TL494, read the datasheet and you will understand the control part. Its driving a half bridge with requires a minimum of components compared to a full bridge.

I think you mean circuit 2. Is this an improvement compared to the 555 circuit?
Mads Barnkob
Fri Jan 30 2009, 01:14PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I meant Circuit 1, where you use the half bridge configuration, this will allow you to push some more power through, but in the end you really want better sound quality and not just longer arcs, as they get less stable with length.

So try to look at a high pass filter to remove the bass from the audio, it is a plasma tweeter afterall.
Shaun
Fri Jan 30 2009, 04:38PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
Absolutely use "Circuit 1" and the "better output stage". I and many others have built it with great success. Dr. Kilovolt is the designer of it if he replies here.
aknaydenov
Sat Feb 07 2009, 03:43PM
aknaydenov Registered Member #1963 Joined: Sat Feb 07 2009, 03:33PM
Hello,

I'd like the higher sound quality flyback tweeter possible. But I'm not sure what is the right circuit to use. Currently, I've made the Circuit 2 mentioned, with TL494 and one field transistor to the flyback. Well, I can make an arc of 3cm, but it's very sensitive. Even a small air current through the room makes it distort. I have to let it very short to make it stable, but the sound isn't loud.

My main question is : Can I improve the situation, using another circuits ? It is worth to buy the SG3525 ? Or I can just improve the bridge of the TL494 schematic ? And maybe my audio signal is weak, an amplifier may fix the problem ?

P.S. Oh and please, if you know, can you suggest to me a cheap electronic components supplier in Europe. Currently I'm in France and in the shops they want me to pay 1.30E for a single IRF540, eating my money.
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Feb 07 2009, 04:36PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
aknaydenov, the difference is that my circuit with the SG3525 is frequency modulating, while the TL494 one is pulse width modulating (generally lower quality). You can probably convert it to FM by applying audio to pin 6 through a ~1uF capacitor (like in my SG3525 schematic).

Robert2
Sat Feb 07 2009, 04:51PM
Robert2 Registered Member #1773 Joined: Tue Oct 21 2008, 06:56PM
Hi

I make Circuit Link2 and he dnot good work, but i give 2x 4700uF/50 in filtring and 10 turns primary... i give 30VDS and 7815 with 555... I give irfp460, only core speaker without secondary coil :D Spark dnot speaker :P
aknaydenov
Sat Feb 07 2009, 05:28PM
aknaydenov Registered Member #1963 Joined: Sat Feb 07 2009, 03:33PM
Thank you Dr. Kilovolt, I will try it.

Killa-X
Sun Feb 08 2009, 07:21AM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
I also used a similar circuit, and it worked on my ignition coil kinda, but like everyone told me, its low frequency, that's why i hear the high pitches. My powersupply (12V 400ma) sucks, 21VAC out. Filter caped -> 48VAC, Power on -> 11VAC in coil. BAD!!!
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: