Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Flyback driver destroying MOSFETs

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Jan 30 2009, 10:55PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
If he really used the diode across the primary, the current would rise to insane levels and blow the transistor.

Antonio wrote ...

The lowering of the operating frequency really increases the current in the transistor, as mentioned. But it's perfectly safe to operate at audio frequencies, if the primary winding has sufficient inductance and the power supply voltage is not too high. Using the normal primary winding of the flyback, and a power supply of a few tens of Volts, it's really necessary to operate at a few kHz to have significant output power.
Operating at a lower frequency limits the maximum achievable power throughput. I found the optimum for the flyback converter driving TV transformers to be at around 20kHz.

ScotchTapeLord wrote ...

The post I was referred to says decoupling should be .1-1uF? Is there such a thing as too much decoupling? I have the decoupling capacitor before a 12V regulator, is that right or should it be after it?
It should be both before and after it, and it should be a film or ceramic cap, not electrolytic. There is no upper capacitance limit.

GeordieBoy
Fri Jan 30 2009, 10:59PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Connecting a diode across the flyback transformer's primary also acts to make the primary current free-wheel when the switch opens, instead of decaying. This will likely cause the primary current to integrate up to a very high value unless peak current-mode control was employed.

As Antonio said, a flyback converter cannot function correctly when the reflected voltage across the primary is clamped with a single diode! An RCD snubber is the preferred method to control the switch voltage.

-Richie,
ScotchTapeLord
Fri Jan 30 2009, 10:59PM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
The reason I was lowering the frequency was because the spark gets very small at peak audible frequencies... I know I can increase voltage but I want it to be portable. I guess I'll have to settle for small arcs until I can afford another 20x AA NiMH pack confused

EDIT: ... Just read up on IGBT pins. So... the emitter goes to ground...? ^^ right...
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Jan 31 2009, 08:19AM
ScotchTapeLord wrote ...

The reason I was lowering the frequency was because the spark gets very small at peak audible frequencies... I know I can increase voltage but I want it to be portable. I guess I'll have to settle for small arcs until I can afford another 20x AA NiMH pack confused

EDIT: ... Just read up on IGBT pins. So... the emitter goes to ground...? ^^ right...
If you want higher voltages at higher frequencies, increase the air gap in the core and reduce the number of primary turns.

Yes the IGBT connects the same as bippolar transistor with the difference that it's voltage controlled.

ScotchTapeLord
Sat Jan 31 2009, 03:55PM
Um... It is running at 13kHz but the spark is very small. The writing on the tv I got it from says 36KV which is far more than I am getting. I am not really sure enough of my abilities to take it apart though. I was getting huge sparks when I tapped on a potentiometer I was using for frequency... Before destroying the timer... So I know this can do better.
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Jan 31 2009, 04:11PM
ScotchTapeLord wrote ...

Um... It is running at 13kHz but the spark is very small. The writing on the tv I got it from says 36KV which is far more than I am getting. I am not really sure enough of my abilities to take it apart though. I was getting huge sparks when I tapped on a potentiometer I was using for frequency... Before destroying the timer... So I know this can do better.
If taking the core apart is not an option, you can always decrease the number of primary turns.

P.S. Are you sure you have the primary winding connected with the right polarity? Try reversing it and see what happens.

ScotchTapeLord
Sat Jan 31 2009, 04:47PM
I have switched the leads going to the primary and the other configuration yields a much weaker output. So introducing the plastic covering to my dremel is better than lowering the frequency? Can I wind my own primary on the other, exposed side of the core and just not used the built in primary?

EDIT: I have found a post by Dr KV including the advantages of winding your own primary. That is what I shall do.

Later that day (edit): I wound my own primary with 22 awg magnet wire, because it was all I had that would fit into the gap. It was suitable, as I found no heating. I measured the inductance to be .05 mH, which gave me about 4 ohms of reactance according to my calculations. I hooked it up and heard the usual frequency, but also some crackling which I deemed to be static charge. The sparks were great, not thick but very long. I played with it for maybe a minute and then it ceased to function as anything but a funny-smell producer. I opened up the foil pouch I had my circuitry in, which I noted to be quite hot, and found that the IGBT had melted through the plastic bag I had between the circuit and foil. I believe I see the value of higher frequencies now. They will put the voltage across the primary more than the transistor, correct? But I don't really want to halve my spark length...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: