All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Half-bridge SLR transformer driver

Move Thread LAN_403
Plasma Lover
Tue Jan 27 2009, 11:15PM Print
Plasma Lover Registered Member #1911 Joined: Mon Jan 05 2009, 06:30PM
Hello Everyone,

I've recently come into the possession of a double-U core with inside measurements being about 3" by 5" and outside core measurements being about 5" by 7 1/8".

I am trying to learn how to drive a transformer wound on such a core.

I have one IGBT brick rated at 100A and 600V and it's a Fairchild FMG2G100US60 - The way that it was described to me was as a 'Dual IGBT Brick'.

I also have eight STGW30NC60WD IGBTs, which are rated at 30A 600V and produced/sold by STMicroelectronics.

I understand how a transistor works and how to use one, but I don't understand what the ratings mean and what the tolerances mean, and I don't know how to build a circuit to drive one. Is there any way that you might be able to help me with this?

What I need help with is, specifically, making a driver. What I've been told is that a driver consisting of the Fairchild transistor is my best bet, as it has a higher current capability and is also capable of half-bridge use. (I'm not sure exactly what half-bridge is, but I was wondering if it has anything to do with half-wave)

I was wondering if anyone could help me learn how to integrate the Fairchild brick into a Series Load Resonant (SLR) switching topology.

I'm not a complete HV noob; I understand how to build a SGTC and how to build a transformer and the rules of capacitors and transformers (basically, I could pass all the tests being proposed in the 'New Forum' thread).

Feel free to use any terms with me you like, if I don't know it, I'll ask for clarification.
Berni
Wed Jan 28 2009, 05:54AM
Berni Registered Member #1132 Joined: Mon Nov 19 2007, 06:15PM
Well you should check google to find what are transistor H bridges. Basically one transistor pulls the output to positive and the other to negative and then they have to be turned on at opposite times, if they turn on at the same time it shots the supply over it and that might blow the transistor.

For makeing one of these you will also need a bulky capacitor on the output. Its should have a 600V rating and its better to use a lot of smaller caps than 1 big one. The big currents and frequencys are very demanding on the capacitor and it gets hot. I used 10 small 47nF caps to make one big 470nF cap, it still gets quite warm but not too much.
Plasma Lover
Wed Jan 28 2009, 12:12PM
I've already googled H bridges, but I don't know how to make all the components go together. I don't know how, for Steve Ward's CCPS, to make the output of the TL494 the proper amperage and voltage to drive the transistors. I don't know how to make the delay in the driver signal for each transistor.
Berni
Wed Jan 28 2009, 03:33PM
Berni Registered Member #1132 Joined: Mon Nov 19 2007, 06:15PM
Well most people found that using just a GDT(Gate Drive Transformer) without trying to make any delays works fine.
rp181
Wed Jan 28 2009, 09:46PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
wow! that core is just like the one i just sold! =p
Look at steve ward's mini SSTC circuit. That uses the method of a 555 pulsing into 2 UCC's (one inverting, one non inverting) to make a alternating pattern.
Plasma Lover
Wed Jan 28 2009, 11:33PM
rp181 wrote ...

wow! that core is just like the one i just sold! =p
Look at steve ward's mini SSTC circuit. That uses the method of a 555 pulsing into 2 UCC's (one inverting, one non inverting) to make a alternating pattern.

Wouldn't it work to just make a resonant driver like in a flyback? Or am I just being way too hopeful? I mean, it would make it much more simple, just like a SSTC tuning setup driving the IGBTs with the frequency from an antenna recording the frequency output of the secondary coil.
teslacoolguy
Thu Jan 29 2009, 12:10AM
teslacoolguy Registered Member #1107 Joined: Thu Nov 08 2007, 10:09PM
naa, you cant do that because tthe transformer doesn't give out interference like a sstc does. What you can do is just make a fixed frequency oscillator in the 100khz range driving a full bridge of igbt's. You would be hardswitching the transformer but you will still be able to pull multiple kw out of the secondary if made properly. See uzzor's thread about his hard switched hf hv transformer. Link2 more if what you want is on the second page but tons of info in that thread.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: