All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Capacitor banks

Move Thread LAN_403
Deceitful_Frank
Tue Jan 27 2009, 10:28PM Print
Deceitful_Frank Registered Member #1941 Joined: Tue Jan 27 2009, 10:13PM
Hey guys, new here and fairly new to high voltage. I have a question, hope it isn't too stupid!

Lets say for the sake of argument I have ten capacitors rated at 100uF and 400V. There would appear to be several ways that I could connect these together to form my capacitor bank with the two extremes being all in series an all in parallel.

If I connect them all in series I get 4000V and 100uF and all in parallel just 400V and 1000uF. I know that energy in joules is proportional to the square of the voltage so the former setup is gonna store more joules of energy. Is there some kind of trade off?

If I string them together in paralell do I get less joules but better "quality?" ones? surely there is a case for connecting capacitors in parallel too? does it depend of the load that you want to dump your juice in to?

Any light on this will be much appreciated!
big5824
Tue Jan 27 2009, 10:39PM
big5824 Registered Member #1687 Joined: Tue Sept 09 2008, 08:47PM
if you add them in series it is 1/total = 1/C1 + 1/C2 etc, so it would be 10uf at 4000v
Billybobjoe
Tue Jan 27 2009, 10:41PM
Billybobjoe Registered Member #396 Joined: Wed Apr 19 2006, 12:55AM
Deceitful_Frank wrote ...

If I connect them all in series I get 4000V and 100uF and all in parallel just 400V and 1000uF. I know that energy in joules is proportional to the square of the voltage so the former setup is gonna store more joules of energy.

Capacitors in series are summed up like so: 1/total capacitance= 1/cap1+ 1/cap2 +1/cap3 + 1/capn etc. No matter how you arrange them the energy will always be the same (assuming they charge to their maximum voltage in every configuration.

You won't get any change in the "quality" of you energy but a higher voltage is likely to give you a higher and faster current pulse into a given load.

EDIT - Ahhh, beat by two minutes!
Deceitful_Frank
Tue Jan 27 2009, 10:58PM
Deceitful_Frank Registered Member #1941 Joined: Tue Jan 27 2009, 10:13PM
Ok so either way the energy is the same. I suppose the penalty for failure could be like the difference between being hit over the head with a slow heavy brick or whacked in the face with a fast light golf club. I take it the load would experience similar in either case!

So in practice you would wire your setup for the maximum amount of volts that your charging circuit kicks out. Assuming you wanted the sharpest strongest pulse for your buck.

Thanks.... I think it makes more sense now.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: