Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
PYLEMET-mk2 (35)

Next birthdays
09/21 Bill G (64)
09/21 Overclocked (37)
09/21 Edi (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

LRC Circut with a polarized cap

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
rp181
Thu Jan 01 2009, 06:00PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Heres a text diagram =p

|-----(capacitor anode (+) ->)-----(<-diode cathode())----|
|-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------|

capacitor anode is the right, diode anode is right.
Barry
Thu Jan 01 2009, 06:06PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
The protection diode across the capacitor terminals is the simplest approach by far. It does have the disadvantage of extending the current pulse in the coil.

Some good alternatives include an H-bridge switching network, and Evgenij Vasiljev's v-switch to dump another capacitor into the coil to kill it.

Cheers, Barry
I live in the state of Washington where they only charge sales tax on 'luxury' items. So why is toilet paper taxed?
Marauder709
Thu Jan 01 2009, 07:19PM
Marauder709 Registered Member #1895 Joined: Thu Jan 01 2009, 03:12AM
I have always thought anti-parallel was this like the diagram I uploaded. However, current takes the path of least resistance. I don't see how adding the below arrangement helps.

I like Barry's V-switch suggestion though it looks expensive.
1230837583 1895 FT60793 Picture1
badastronaut
Thu Jan 01 2009, 09:44PM
badastronaut Registered Member #222 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:49PM
The diagram is correct, and you are half right on the current path part.

Current will not divert itself completely to one path; it will divided among the different paths related to the relative impedances. If you have two parallel resistors, one 1ohm and the other 100ohms, current will flow through both resistors.

When the diode conducts, it forms a short circuit across the capacitor; it turns into a wire. You can't charge a capacitor when its terminals are shorted. The voltage across a short is always zero. You're also shorting out the inductor when the diode conducts.

Perhaps it will be easier to understand if you divide the circuit into two operating modes. Mode one is when the diode does not conduct, so you replace it with an open circuit. Mode two is when the diode conducts, and you replace it with a short. Also, when the inductor current is falling, the voltage across it will be negative; this forward biases the diode by having a negative voltage on the cathode.
Marauder709
Thu Jan 01 2009, 09:57PM
A diode is not a resistor. I always assumed that (for all intents and purposes) no current passes through the diode because it is in anti - parallel.

A agree with your mode one. You may as well have no diode as its diverting all the current through the inductor. I don't get mode two however. The only way to get that diode to conduct is to reverse the current. The current does not reverse until the capacitor acquires an opposite polarity. This is not possible with an electrolytic and your stuck with the same problem.

Is the diode supposed to break down or something?
big5824
Fri Jan 02 2009, 12:41AM
big5824 Registered Member #1687 Joined: Tue Sept 09 2008, 08:47PM
When the capacitor is discharging the current flows against the diode, so it is all forced through the coil. However, as the magnetic field collapses, it generates a reverse voltage in the coil, which would flow in the opposite direction and reverse charge the capacitors. However since the diode is in antiparallel and the current has changed direction, the diode now conducts and shorts out the coil, so the current just flows round the shorted coil until its all disipated as heat (practically instantanous)
rp181
Fri Jan 02 2009, 01:18AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Think of the coil as a capacitor. When you put a diode across in parrallel, it discharges. When you put it in anti parrallel, nothing happens. If the diode was antiparrallel, and the capacitor was rotated 180 degrees (the back EMF), the capacitor discharges.
Marauder709
Fri Jan 02 2009, 01:39AM
There is no reverse voltage provided by the inductor. The EMF applied by the inductor as the feild collapses is in the same direction as the voltage originally applied by the capacitor. The inductor acts to maintain the current in the circuit, why would it then provide an EMF that would oppose the current flow.

rp181, I'm not sure I understand your analogy. "back EMF" is a misleading term. It is not actually a reverse in EMF. On the contrary, the EMF acts to maintain the current which then builds up a back voltage in the capacitor.

There are two ways to charge a capacitor with a reverse voltage. The most obvious is to simply reverse the voltage. The less obvious way is to maintain a current after the capacitor has reached equilibrium. This is the case with any oscillating circuit. The diode in anti-parallel only protects the circuit from the former scenario, not the ladder
badastronaut
Fri Jan 02 2009, 04:10AM
badastronaut Registered Member #222 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:49PM
The current does not need to reverse for the diode to conduct. Maybe you're confused as how a diode works. Current flows from the anode to the cathode. If you assume that, then there is no where else for the current to go if you model the conducting diode as a dead short.

Why don't you draw the circuit with no ground symbol, just a continous loop.
Marauder709
Fri Jan 02 2009, 04:42AM
I drew the two grounds simply for simplicity sake, in the program I use to draw my circuit diagrams its just easier.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the circuit I have drawn, the diode branch is not conducting any current when the capacitor is discharging. It can be regarded as an open branch or simply deleted. If we are then in agreement that:
a) The direction of the current does not reverse.
b) The diode is oriented so that it does not conduct while the capacitor discharges
Then I fail to see how the diode arrangement will prevent a reverse voltage.

Maybe this is what you all are driving at. The EMF applied by the inductor will be reverted through the diode bypass and form a complete circuit with the inductor as the voltage source and the diode loop as the rest of the circuit. If this is the case then wouldn't the inductor also discharge to ground and thereby creating a reverse voltage in the capacitor?
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: