Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
PYLEMET-mk2 (35)

Next birthdays
09/21 Bill G (64)
09/21 Overclocked (37)
09/21 Edi (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coilgun (basics?)

Move Thread LAN_403
rp181
Thu Jan 01 2009, 03:48AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
That would make more sense =p
badastronaut
Thu Jan 01 2009, 07:48AM
badastronaut Registered Member #222 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:49PM
AC rated capacitors are also used for power factor correction and running motors and anywhere you want to shift the phase...
blackgrunge
Thu Jan 01 2009, 03:46PM
blackgrunge Registered Member #1889 Joined: Mon Dec 29 2008, 07:36AM
!grr don't go scarin' him now cheesey
Barry
Thu Jan 01 2009, 06:14PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Most types of capacitors handle AC just great. It's just these lame polarized electrolytic capacitors that can be damaged by negative voltages, lol. But we love them because their price-per-joule is vastly better than other types of construction.

Still, I have my eye on a bank of polypropylene caps that would do the job so nicely and shrug off negative voltages without a care... They're the same ones that Braam Daniels used in his pulsed linear induction motor. Too bad they're frightfully expensive in kilojoule quantities.

Cheers, Barry
I know what irony is - It's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
badastronaut
Thu Jan 01 2009, 09:50PM
badastronaut Registered Member #222 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:49PM
If you have two identical electrolytic caps, you can wire them in such a way that they become unpolarized. That's how they make unpolarized electrolytic caps, two caps in a can.
Barry
Fri Jan 02 2009, 07:33AM
badastronaut wrote ...

If you have two identical electrolytic caps, you can wire them in such a way that they become unpolarized. That's how they make unpolarized electrolytic caps, two caps in a can.
You may be right, but I've never heard of that type of capacitor construction before. It would need something in addition so each electrolytic element does not become reverse biased.

All the unpolarized capacitors I'm familiar with are constructed of insulators that do not rely on electrolyte. This can be a wide variety of materials, commonly including tantalum, ceramic, polypropylene and so forth. The "motor start" capacitors of modern times are frequently made with polypropylene insulation.

The "electrolyte" is a semi-liquid substance that forms an insulating barrier on an aluminum surface through chemical action. This barrier is very thin and therefore leads to high values of capacitance, significantly higher than physically manufacturing a thin insulating barrier.

However a reverse voltage causes the electrolyte's chemical reaction to degrade and the insulation to break down. The typical failure mode is for it to become a resistive connection, generating heat, which eventually boils or expands the liquid causing an explosion.

Hope this helps, Barry
www.coilgun.info
Myke
Fri Jan 02 2009, 10:15AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
I know that one way to make an unpolorized cap is the way that badastronaut described. The thing is, I don't think it's good for high voltages or powers. I think this method works because of the the leakage in electrolytic caps. I'm not completely sure though.
Barry
Fri Jan 02 2009, 04:58PM
Interesting, here is one spot Link2 that explains it this way:

7-23-2003 Jim Meyer said:

It *IS* OK to put two polarized caps back-to-back (series) to make an AC cap out of them. The reason is that there is a tiny bit more leakage in the reverse biased cap. That leakage charges the "properly" biased cap in the right direction to keep it happy when the current reverses. Since the circuit is symmetrical, each cap's leakage protects the other.

Do a test with real capacitors (or even a SPICE simulation). You will find that after only a couple of cycles that each cap will have a DC voltage across it that is of a magnitude and polarity such that it will be completely protected from reverse voltages.

You can guild the lilly with a couple of diodes. One diode across each cap in a direction that will prevent the cap's voltage from going more than a diode's drop reverse biased. The diodes are not necessary but may give you that belt and suspenders feeling of confidence.

Seems plausible, but I'm not sure I would rely on it unless I really had to.

Cheers, Barry
Barry answers the door and lets 2009 in, and gives her a hug.
blackgrunge
Fri Jan 02 2009, 06:42PM
blackgrunge Registered Member #1889 Joined: Mon Dec 29 2008, 07:36AM
I'd really like to hear more about that. It seems like if you put diodes in however you'd be making a fancy voltage multiplier and your currents would spike to the maximum current allowed by the capacitors...

Seems a bit dangerous but I don't know enough about the mechanics of a capacitor to say that with any certainty

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: