Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nikhil (36)

Next birthdays
07/01 Nikhil (36)
07/02 ArcLight (71)
07/02 dratomic (67)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

6 Month Gauss Cannon Project

Move Thread LAN_403
blackgrunge
Thu Jan 01 2009, 03:32AM
blackgrunge Registered Member #1889 Joined: Mon Dec 29 2008, 07:36AM
@El_Roberto

Wow that's ridiculous $400 dollars, what are they thinking? I guess I won't complain.

@rp181

Junior in high school at an international bacheloriate school. That just mean my courses are all college level during junior and senior year. Plus I've taken courses at the local community college to help with the physics course I'm in.
blackgrunge
Fri Jan 02 2009, 06:20PM
The Calvary has arrived!!

A week later and $67 out of pocket and the new capacitors have arrived. For one I can say how disappointed I am with UPS Ground and their holiday shipping schedule but I really can't complain now that I have them. Rated 400v @ 3900uf, these 8 capacitors weigh in at a little less than 2.5kJ. Being just the first step in upgrading to the 5kJ model I hope that these bad boys will do some serious damage.

Capacitors

In the mean time I'm searching for SCRs that can handle these pulses since 2N5207s don't stand up too well to a 1500amp discharge. Anyone got any suggestions for part numbers or places where I can buy some more robust SCRs, everywhere I look I can't find to seem any decently priced SCRs.

(Sorry for double post)
rp181
Fri Jan 02 2009, 06:24PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Check out chtechnology SCR's. I posted a thread earlier on popping noises from my capacitor bank, and it turns out the aluminum terminals where oxidising. I was suggested Oxguard. You might want to take a look at that. and the thread i posted ( named popping noises from capacitor bank).
big5824
Fri Jan 02 2009, 07:54PM
big5824 Registered Member #1687 Joined: Tue Sept 09 2008, 08:47PM
i got a 6000A pulse scr from ebay for 15 pounds a while ago, take a look there
rp181
Fri Jan 02 2009, 08:00PM
Beware of quality also, Ive seen Some small studs (like yours) rated higher than 3/4in stud SCR's.
guitardude012
Fri Jan 02 2009, 08:53PM
guitardude012 Registered Member #968 Joined: Fri Aug 24 2007, 04:54PM
Blackgrunge, take a look at the TVR SCRs in TO-220 package. You will have to parallelize them to handle your levels of energy, but they should work in your CG.

Turn off time will be critical and the 50RIA80 for example are rated at 110us(typical). Run the numbers at even 50m/s and I think you will find this will be an issue. However, a SCR such as TVR's S8055R has a max turnoff time of 35us.

Myke
Fri Jan 02 2009, 09:33PM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
Remember that the current that goes through SCRs in parallel isn't shared perfectly.
guitardude012
Sat Jan 03 2009, 02:10AM
guitardude012 Registered Member #968 Joined: Fri Aug 24 2007, 04:54PM
It helps that they have a positive thermal coefficient(though at these speeds I'm not sure how much that really matters). The important thing is to plan for a little margin of error and to drive the gates very strongly(within spec. sheet limits of course)

Mine have lasted over 200 shots and my setup is almost exactly the same as yours.

edit: Which wire gauge and IR sensors are you using? I currently use lasers and have found that photo diodes are a must. I doubt the rise/fall time of photocells and phototransistors are going to work at the speeds you want(without extending the barrel)

You will find that it is necessary to fire coils before the projectile gets there to establish the field. You don't want to waste a precious 1 ms fighting the RLC circuit to get the field established after the projectile has actually reached the coil. This of course has a negative effect on efficiency but I believe it is important if you really want to hit 100m/s.
blackgrunge
Sat Jan 03 2009, 03:19AM
I deal with the rise and fall time of the photo diode by making my inverting hex trigger extremely sensitive. I have the IC being pull low by a 300k resistor, so the photo diode has to get above 300k ohms to pull it high. I could further increase the sensitivity of the circuit by making the resistor even larger but its sufficient. Its a great way of battling the response time.
rp181
Sat Jan 03 2009, 03:42AM
It would help if your photogate was easy to move up and down your barrel.
What is your barrel going to be? You are trying to maximize effeciancy, so a really strong material would be good to keep dead space down. Maybe you should look into carbon fiber tubes (gets pretty expensive though. one 1ft length for a 3/8in bore from mcmaster-carr is 25$, and that isn't even smooth on the inside).
Decide what SCR you are going to get?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: