All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ideal Railgun Voltage?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
zephir
Wed May 14 2008, 07:24PM Print
zephir Registered Member #1471 Joined: Tue May 06 2008, 03:17AM
Have have my capacitors already, 12 of 400v, 3900uF, but now I'm wondering what is the best rail gun voltage?
I've doing series-parallel, so I can have 1200, 1600 or 2400 volt bank. which is the best voltage? Does it really matter?

And what kind of wires would i need to charge/discharge this bank? would 4 gauge car jumper cables work? how much insulation should i have on the wires at 1200-2400 volts?

I'm using a bus bar for the capacitor bank. There shouldn't be any resistance problems there. Its a pretty big bar.
ea6b607
Thu May 15 2008, 01:53AM
ea6b607 Registered Member #1320 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 01:31AM
I just finished and tested my railgun about a week ago. I think slightly higher voltages would have been a better choice, but I used 16 525volt 2400uF in 4 sets wired in parallel. To charge I used a MOT from MOT to capacitors I just used some 18 gauge 1kv rated wire. just don't touch it in case of corona. From the capacitors to the rails I had each of the four stages wired with 4 gauge wire with a common ground of 00 Gauge wire. The less resistance the better, so way the cost/difficulty/weight to the performance benefits. I'll post up soem pics of my rig if it would help. Careful though they are a lot more work then you would originally think, and if your not good at fabricating no amount of electrical knowledge will help. Last, any ideas on what for of injection your using as I had a heck of a time finding a solenoid for mine.

edit: btw with injection I got 620m/s velocity using a 8 gram alluminum cube
zephir
Thu May 15 2008, 07:38AM
thanks for the tips. I'll use 2400 a volt bank.

and injection, most people say they use some type of pneumatic setup, I decided to skip that because its too complicated, too much work. I've got a shotgun, 20 gauge. I've already done some test shots using modified shells so that only the primer is fired, no gunpowder and no lead shot. I've figured out how to make it shoot projectiles less than .61 caliber or square projectiles, I made some very specially designed inserts to put into the barrel of the gun.
I can skip all the thingys that makes gas injection complicated, all i gotta do is muzzle load the special projectile down the inserts, chamber a modified shell, and then simply pull the trigger and volia! it works.
I decided on this method because: its readily available, i don't need to buy anything extra (like an air compressor), and i'm very familiar with this since i regularly use this method to shoot paintballs, airsoft BBs, and other projectiles.

the 620m/s, thats amazing! I hope i get that much too.
Quantum Singularity
Thu May 15 2008, 09:06AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
zephir wrote ...

Yes, that's like over 2,000 FPS, about the same as a common riffle. I guess that's a pretty darn light projectile though. I think we would like to see some more info, pics, video on this railgun... on a new thread of course.
ea6b607
Thu May 15 2008, 12:26PM
zephir wrote ...

thanks for the tips. I'll use 2400 a volt bank.

and injection, most people say they use some type of pneumatic setup, I decided to skip that because its too complicated, too much work. I've got a shotgun, 20 gauge. I've already done some test shots using modified shells so that only the primer is fired, no gunpowder and no lead shot. I've figured out how to make it shoot projectiles less than .61 caliber or square projectiles, I made some very specially designed inserts to put into the barrel of the gun.
I can skip all the thingys that makes gas injection complicated, all i gotta do is muzzle load the special projectile down the inserts, chamber a modified shell, and then simply pull the trigger and volia! it works.
I decided on this method because: its readily available, i don't need to buy anything extra (like an air compressor), and i'm very familiar with this since i regularly use this method to shoot paintballs, airsoft BBs, and other projectiles.

that sounds like a good idea, but be careful. the minute you put gun powder in it is the minute the police can start arresting you. Also repeated fires are probably going to create carbon trails for flash over. I don't know a whole lot about firearms not the composition of the primer, but anything on the rails will increase your resistance and make it less efficient. I'll start a new thread sometime today so I don't end up hijacking yours

cheers and good luck!
rp181
Thu May 15 2008, 01:21PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Use a bike pump and PVC :)

Its VERY simple to make a pneumatic injector, and PVC is really cheap.
ea6b607
Thu May 15 2008, 04:56PM
well, you won't get much power out of that since most PVC pipe is only rated for about 150psi, but it does work. I think the shotgun shell will probably be more efficient. Just saying to be careful with it. I used a 1200 psi 12oz CO2 tank for mine with a dema 1500psi 3/8" NPT solenoid valve.
zephir
Thu May 15 2008, 06:58PM
ea6b607 wrote ...

that sounds like a good idea, but be careful. the minute you put gun powder in it is the minute the police can start arresting you.

yeah, i'm very well aware of that. I won't be breaking any laws since my shotgun's legal and the law only bans flash suppressors, sound suppressors. Theres no law against mounting a rail gun at the muzzle... yet.
And if the government decided to make a law, it'll never pass since most people has no clue what rail gun is and there'll be a grandfathering clause in it. So that older existing devices will not be banned.

and gunpowder burns surprisingly clean, I've done barrel swabs after a couple regular shots, my Kleenex always comes out without any sign of dirt or partially burnt powder. Even with powder solvent (which will definitely get dirty if there was any residue at all) the Kleenex is still clean. Either its just the brand of ammo i use or all the shotgun powder burns cleanly.
Backyard Skunkworks
Thu May 15 2008, 11:53PM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
ea6b607 wrote ...

I just finished and tested my railgun about a week ago. ...I used 16 525volt 2400uF in 4 sets wired in parallel ...I got 620m/s velocity using a 8 gram alluminum cube

Capacitors are 5.3kJ, kinetic energy is an amazing 1.53kJ!!!! 28% eff. WOW!!!
That is only a few hundred joules ballistic shy of an M16!!!
What did you use as a target for that?
ea6b607
Fri May 16 2008, 12:10AM
Backyard Skunkworks wrote ...

ea6b607 wrote ...

I just finished and tested my railgun about a week ago. ...I used 16 525volt 2400uF in 4 sets wired in parallel ...I got 620m/s velocity using a 8 gram alluminum cube

Capacitors are 5.3kJ, kinetic energy is an amazing 1.53kJ!!!! 28% eff. WOW!!!
That is only a few hundred joules ballistic shy of an M16!!!
What did you use as a target for that?

ya but that's with 636 joules of energy from the CO2
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: