All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Newb coilgun pre-design

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
huzbum
Sat Apr 12 2008, 04:10PM Print
huzbum Registered Member #1439 Joined: Sat Apr 12 2008, 03:25PM
I'm new to this site, but I've been kicking around the idea of a coil nail gun for a while. I intend to build a bench (non portable) coil gun to start with, then revise the design into something portable. Before getting too deep into design (or buying components) I wanted to run some idea's past people who have already built coilguns.

I want to have 3 stages with no timer circuits! My idea is to have 3 1kv capacitor banks the first being about 250uf, the second 500uf, and the third 750uf. My theory is that if triggered at the same time the capacitance will make each stage's magnetic field will collapse in order, and all I would have to do is get the spacing correct.

Any thoughts on this theory?

Also, what would it take (power wise) to reach projectile speeds of 500fps? I intend to use nails with the heads cut off... By the way, I have no concern for efficiency, only projectile speed.
Bjørn
Sat Apr 12 2008, 05:20PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Your theory works but in reality nothing is that simple. getting the spacing correct is difficult since the spacing is not constant. It will depend on temperature and other factors.

You will spend 2 kW of power to launch one projectile every second or about 2 kJ for each shot depending on a lot of factor that is undecided yet. You can do a lot better of you spend more time and make it more advanced.

Have a look here: Link2
Barry
Sun Apr 13 2008, 01:15PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Been there, done that, with a three-stage model. Link2 It turns out that a multistage coilgun with fixed timing doesn't work because the timing is exquisitely sensitive to starting position and other factors. The results were so variable that it might even fire backwards. (Imagine my surprise.) This was my Mark 1 coilgun first attempt and it had other problems, e.g. lots of turns with thin wire resulted in high inductance. But even careful control of timing with digital logic could not overcome the fundamental flaw. A multistage coilgun really needs a position detector at each coil.

1208092437 90 FT43338 Coilgun11

Cheers, Barry
The meek shall inherit the earth ... if that's okay with you.
TheMerovingian
Sun Apr 13 2008, 06:28PM
TheMerovingian Registered Member #14 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:04PM
Alternatively hybrid design using optical sensor and timing (both analog or digital) can work well. I achieved 10% efficiency on my halfbridge coilgun rifle (three stage) usin analog timing (555 with trimmers and poliester caps). This way you regulate only the pulse width and not che phasing with the projectile. Now I am working on a 5 stage multistage dump-n-quench coilgun with digital control (PIC16f876A ) with the possibility of correcting the pulse times during operation, by means on a 4-digit numeric display and 3 button keyboard (MODE, UP,DOWN) that controls ammo in magazine, cap voltage (ADC-on board), cap setpoint, shot counter, password and pulse regulating for each stage
pbfree
Mon Apr 14 2008, 01:06AM
pbfree Registered Member #1386 Joined: Tue Mar 11 2008, 08:16AM
Start position should be and is the low hanging fruit. That position should be fixed and voltages regulated regardless of triggering method. These two are the easy parts. Struggle here and might as well not build it.
Quantum Singularity
Mon Apr 14 2008, 03:26PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Yeah, i'd say if you dont want to mess with timing/optical triggering, then just focus on making the best single stage you can. When you feel up to the timing/triggering challenge, then go for the multi-stage.
Barry
Mon Apr 14 2008, 04:08PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
The "best single-stage design" offers some big advantages. It frees you from the complexity of detectors and such, giving you a lot more time to concentrate on all the basic design issues. There are a lot of valuable things to be learned and I find it an advantage to work in a coilgun's simplest-possible-world. Particularly for your first coilgun, it's best to get one stage working well before compounding the complexity with multiple stages.

Maybe it's just me. But I feel that the single-stage coilguns are still so wretchedly inefficient that I need to get this working well before building multiple inefficient stages.

Cheers, Barry
Any e-mail returned to me will be re-sent with a 10KV attachment.
huzbum
Mon Apr 14 2008, 08:37PM
I intend to build it as a growing experiment. Start with a single stage and optimize that before adding a 2nd stage, then optimize, then add the third stage, and of course optimize...

Barry to me it sounds like your gun lacked consistency. I imagine many variables can be isolated, if at the very least in a bench /experimental scenario.

I guess I need to ask, how consistent/accurate are everyone else's coilguns? I suppose if you can't get a single stage to operate consistently, then you can't make assumptions about when to fire the 2nd stage...
Quantum Singularity
Tue Apr 15 2008, 01:42PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
I'm sure some of the most sophisticated and professionally built ones are far more consistent but the average ones can be very inconsistent. There are many variables, and many build on top of each other. Even if you only had just one variable that was inconsistent, on a multistage gun each stage would multiply this inconsistency exponentially. Now imagine you have 10 inconsistent variables... Even with a good single stage gun I often measured projectile speeds that varied by at least 5-10%. On a multi stage gun that doesn't use any kind of position sensing of the projectile, if the position of the projectile going into the second stage was even slightly off then it would impact the second stage severely, and the third stage might be completely off.

It really depends on how advanced the design is... but if your going to make it that good then you might as well have all the optical triggers and microprocessor controlled timing, etc. For example, how are you going to charge the caps and how accurate will that be? Will you have a comparator to keep the caps charged to a specific target within 1 volt accuracy? If your just charging them 'by hand' then that's a big variable right there. And if your charger doesn't maintain a specific voltage the caps will slowly bleed even over the course of a few seconds time it takes you to pull the trigger. And electrolytics aren't the most consistent caps either, especially pulse discharging them like we do, I imagine every shot will have slightly different ESR's and ESL's, progressively getting worse over time.

You can see the consistency of my last induction launcher that I did three different days testing: Link2
All tests were done with same coil and same cap but various voltages. Just compare the same voltage shots and resulting velocity for different runs.

I think you are on the right track though, start with a single stage and then later add on as you learn to optimize. I just think in the mean time you should be studying up on optical triggering, timing, etc, not discounting them. It will probably work much better and you'll learn more. Of course many folks here have built there first coilguns before reading about them online like myself, and we have learned from failed or poor designs. You can always build whatever you want even if its less than ideal, were just trying to give you the best advice thats all.
huzbum
Tue Apr 15 2008, 04:13PM
hmm... point taken... Don't expect consistency... Thanks.

I'm stubborn, so I'll probably try to make it work anyways, but I'll be planning for failure in that department.

At what point do you trigger your 2nd coil? some point before it reaches the coil? or as it's in the coil?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: