All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SSTC/DRSSTC without breakpoint

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
MRacerxdl
Wed Mar 26 2008, 11:39PM Print
MRacerxdl Registered Member #989 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2007, 02:15AM
Hi all,
I saw on the most part of the forum (and the web too), that all Solid State Tesla Coils needs to have a Breakout point, because without it I can kill the Mosfets/IGBTs.

But I found 2 guys on youtube that have made a DRSSTC and a SSTC without breakpoint.
How can it be done?

DRSSTC:
Link2
SSTC
Link2

Thanks
Wed Mar 26 2008, 11:42PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
You just need to make sure that the radius of curvature on the torrid is sharp enough that you can still have breakout. On my pllsstc I used a piece of 1/4" of copper pipe which allows me to run without the breakout point.
MRacerxdl
Wed Mar 26 2008, 11:53PM
Hmm, you mean I need to calculate the toroid radius to some kV of breakpoint? Using the Toroid as the breakpoint?
Ken M.
Thu Mar 27 2008, 12:24AM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Hey mastre.... I'd like you to check this post out Link2 , look at the authors name and then look at your videos and the author of those videos, yes the authors names are SLIGHTly different but the coils look the same, also if you look at the author of the videos "salvaged PS" vid and then look at the forums authors avatar. See any resemblances?
HV Enthusiast
Thu Mar 27 2008, 01:03AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Breakout points are used because it reduces a lot of stress on the components. Considering the IGBTs and MOSFETs are already stressed to the max, adding a break-out point is simply a no-brainer and can get you magnitudes greater reliability for a given toroid size.

Plus, i think all of us here have probably run DRSSTCs without break-out points. Its not difficult, but it just overstresses components.

Coronafix
Thu Mar 27 2008, 03:30AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
The second link has a breakout point.
Tom540
Thu Mar 27 2008, 05:25AM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
lol those are my coils. It has to do with how powerful your igbt's are and the toroid size. If you aren't loading the thing down with a monster toroid you can achieve breakout without a point. You also need optimum coupling. I had an SSTC a few years ago that used a full bridge of irfp450's with voltage doubler running at 400bps that could achieve breakout without a point. heres link Link2 and the small one without a breakout point Link2
MRacerxdl
Thu Mar 27 2008, 09:34AM
Good work Tom540! These are very good coils!

Someday I will try to make one sstc without breakpoint, First I need to make a new secondary coil.
Steve Conner
Thu Mar 27 2008, 01:27PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
My DRSSTC works without a breakout point, although it tends to flash over down the inside of its secondary former instead of breaking out from the toroid. I once had the breakout point fall off in the middle of a run! ill

If you have a current limiter fitted, nothing bad will happen to your silicon. If it arcs over, or the current limiter kicks in before it breaks out, then you might want to try a smaller toroid.
Marko
Thu Mar 27 2008, 02:53PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
For most typical SSTC's, running without breakout point is a very hazardous condition which should be avoided.

When the coil is not loaded by streamer it's Q may go up several tens of times, which means that base (series) impedance of the secondary will decrease by same amount, down to about the AC resistance of the coil!

If you were already running your mosfets at edge of their ratings and the coil fails to break out, they are doomed instantly.

And even if your inverter survives, and coil still fails to break out, nearly all power put into system would be dissipated in the resistance of the coil, which would very quickly destroy itself in that state.

It is possible to run a SSTC without breakout point but at very reduced input voltage, or even direct base drive without primary at all (to give the same stress to the inverter it would normally have with streamer load). Resonator would produce very high output voltages but you wouldn't be able to see any significant sparks form it because any breakout would instantly kill it's Q.

I'd say it's one of major limitations of usual SSTC topologies like bridges or class E, is that they simply can't tolerate no load conditions without reducing the input voltage into the inverter.

For DRSSTC I believe, (hope someone can correct me) it would be opposite, since with no load the low impedance of the secondary would actually kill down the primary tank's Q and current would grow much slower than in normal operation.

Still very high voltages, as in or more than in normal operation would build up on the secondary and without streamer to grow and load it down it would be expected to find another way to discharge itself! ill
At least that's how I interpret what steve observed.

To compare, the primary current f the DRSSTC jumps when secondary gets heavily loaded or shorted (arc to ground), while typical SSTC would see highest base impedance with secondary shorted (most coils wouldn't be able to oscillate in their fundamental mode in this condition, though).

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: