All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

[moved] Very High Voltage Coil Gun

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Quantum Singularity
Sat Apr 26 2008, 06:16PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
There is always a chance of failure, diode or not. Are your HV caps polarized? I'd think they were not, as it would be difficult/costly to get big enough diodes. I've seen some much bigger Maxwell caps that had blown up internally, but didnt rupture the steel housing (but made a huge dent in it). One thing I heard years ago, never confirmed it though, was that on the big Maxwells you need to charge them quickly and discharge them quickly, as a small amount of internal leakage current can overheat them if left charged for a while and cause a failure. Not sure if this would apply to yours or not, if someone knows please do speak up, as I too am curious is this is something that needs to be paid attention to. I havent played with the Maxwells in many years but when I did I tried to keep the charge cycle at around a minute or less, and discharge them within a minute of that.
Travlax1
Mon Apr 28 2008, 08:27PM
Travlax1 Registered Member #1388 Joined: Wed Mar 12 2008, 04:42PM
Ok that makes sense. Im a few days from testing out the launcher for the first time with the big caps. My teacher and I are trying to figure out how to monitor the charge and havent found an inexpensive voltmeter that goes above 1000 V. any ideas or do you guys just charge blindly and fire?

Also, from the power source to the Cap, can I just use alligator clips and then right after its done charging, yank them off and then fire, so as not to cause any damage to the power source?
FastMHz
Wed Apr 30 2008, 05:39PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
Solid wire will be more efficient...but use what you can get!!
Travlax1
Wed May 07 2008, 02:36AM
Ok, so I'm launching day after tomorrow and just want to confirm a few things.

I just got a high voltage probe (one of the long sword looking things with an analog readout at the base of it. Im thinking of attaching that straight to the capacitor in order with a long connection cord so I can monitor the charge from a distance. However, I'm wondering if I would need to disconnect it before I launch or would it not cause any problems to keep it connected to one side of the cap.

Also, I'm not in the classroom right now, but the power source we're using looks fairly basic. I believe it goes up to 5000 volts but its just a 18"X8"x4" box that plugs straight into the wall outlet. Our calculations showed that this thing would charge the cap in less than a minute but that doesnt seem right. Does that make sense (without any numbers for you guys) that a small power source like that connected to just the wall outlet could charge the 4000v 375uF cap in less than a minute?
Wed May 07 2008, 03:16AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
3KJ isn't much energy in the grand scheme of things, you should have no problem charging them off a normal wall outlet...

You should be able to keep the probe away from the cap bank, but make sure that you use wire rated for 5kv, and make sure that all of the connections are well insulated. If you end up with the lead to the probe (either the hv lead from the bank, or the ground lead from the probe) connected to you, you will die.

Just be extremely careful, as that 3kj still is enough energy to do serious damage should anything come in contact with it.

That idea of using alligator clips and yanking them off sounds like a sure way to kill someone...
Travlax1
Wed May 07 2008, 05:08AM
What do you mean by "If you end up with the lead to the probe (either the hv lead from the bank, or the ground lead from the probe) connected to you, you will die."

I agree about the alligator clips, but how else would you recommend being able to remove the wires from the power source to the cap from a safe distance? I was thinking of having about 10 feet of wire from the power source to the cap and then pulling the two wires from the cap after charging so that there was no way there could be any damage to the power source.
Andyman
Wed May 07 2008, 05:25AM
Andyman Registered Member #1083 Joined: Mon Oct 29 2007, 06:16PM
I think he means, if any part of you comes into contact with any part of the charged circuit, you will die. That kind of energy will stop your heart without any trouble.
Try using a large relay or contactor. The 12-24 volt activating circuit will be much safer. Plus, you can have the switch far away from the rest of the setup.
Travlax1
Thu May 08 2008, 09:49PM
Ok i'll look into that. How bout for power source? I have a pasco model 9586 kV power supply that goes up to 6kV and just plugs into a wall outlet. I think pasco is just a distributor so they must have just slapped their name on it. What do you think about it? and what do you guys all use?
Quantum Singularity
Fri May 09 2008, 01:00AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
I've done something similar to the 'yank the alligator clips off' method before, as long as the charger is off and there is no caps in it (so there is no stored charge on the charger side). And make sure there is no chance of anything shorting out if the clips go were they shouldn’t, basically had everything insulated with plastic (like thick cutting board plastic) with a small port for the alligator clips to pass through, and the wires wrapped around a long pvc tube. It is safer and easier too to use a proper relay/contactor. Another option is a large resistor on each leg of the charger. That is what I ended up doing mostly, as I needed some current limiting in the charger anyhow. With a 500K huge power resistors inline I never had any problems leaving the charger hooked up (but off of course).
Travlax1
Wed May 14 2008, 01:50AM
Ok, and what are you guys all using for your power sources. We have one that goes up to 6000V but its not designed for this type of application and I think it could take days to reach full power.
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: