All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

[moved] Very High Voltage Coil Gun

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Sat Apr 19 2008, 06:33AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
One thing to keep in mind when using excessively low resistance bleeder resistors is that you are going to load down your power supply considerably. If you are using a 10kv/20ma NST and a 500k bleeder resistor your bank is never going to fully charge... (assuming you are using the 10kv cap in the first post)

It really is better to use a long time constant bleeder resistor (something burning 50w at full power is the 'standard' I believe) and then a low resistance 'dump' resistor that is sized to handle the energy stored in the cap (6kJ), for this a water resistor would probably be good. Then you just need a switch (something pneumatic set up so that you need pressure on a hose to be able to charge the back would be sweet) that will actually connect the dump resistor. Then if that doesn't work or you forget the slow resistor takes over and when you come in the morning the bank is discharged.
Travlax1
Mon Apr 21 2008, 04:53PM
Travlax1 Registered Member #1388 Joined: Wed Mar 12 2008, 04:42PM
Ok sounds good. How bout the inductance? In my previous model I had the thin metal survey sticks in the center of the PVC but with all the pancake coil models, I see that most people dont have any sort of inductance. Will it work with just the projectile resting on top of the coil? Also, is a thin 1/16" piece of lexan on top of the coil too thick or will it still shoot pretty high?
Quantum Singularity
Thu Apr 24 2008, 12:20PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Travlax1 wrote ...

Ok sounds good. How bout the inductance? In my previous model I had the thin metal survey sticks in the center of the PVC but with all the pancake coil models, I see that most people dont have any sort of inductance. Will it work with just the projectile resting on top of the coil? Also, is a thin 1/16" piece of lexan on top of the coil too thick or will it still shoot pretty high?

As far as the ferromagnetic pieces in pvc it is not needed for a high power induction launcher. These can be used in much lower powered launchers setup similar to a 'Thompsons Ring Launcher'. I think with the very rapid discharge time of pulse caps the pieces might actually hinder performance.

About the lexan, you will just have to experiment. It will work i am sure, but the closer you get the disk to the coil the better. So if the disk is further away than it needs to be you just might loose a small amount of efficiency. For you first try I'd just do it as simple as you can. Once you get it working, then you can try to make different size coils and experiment with different aspects. When I used HV pulse caps and a simple coil of regular #8 insulated wire, i did a couple experiments like placing block of wood between the projectile and coil. I noted that after a space of a couple inches the effect is almost gone. So sub 1" should work fine, just a small amount of loss. But YMMV. Thats what experimenting is about wink
teslacoolguy
Thu Apr 24 2008, 12:47PM
teslacoolguy Registered Member #1107 Joined: Thu Nov 08 2007, 10:09PM
4g wire is 4g wire if it is a big fat piece of copper or a zillion hair thin strands it will still be able to withstand the current and the only reason they do it this way is so it is very easy to bend.
Travlax1
Fri Apr 25 2008, 07:22AM
Thanks, thats very helpful. I'm getting ready to launch it in the next couple days and Im pounding out my paper at the same time. I went to a machine shop today to look for a good projectile and ordered a few aluminum rings that are 3 and 4 inches in diameter with a 1 inch hole in the center and they're a little more than 1/8" thick. Will the aluminum be ok to use? I've heard Hard drive platters are a decent choice too but I assume those will warp pretty quickly. Thanks
Quantum Singularity
Fri Apr 25 2008, 12:50PM
Those should work fine but depending on how high power you go you might even warp those. You might want to see if you can get some thicker ones to experiment with too, like 1/4-3/8" thick. Hard drive platters will work, but they are very thin. On my original launcher using maxwells that was very inefficient would still blast a hard drive platter into a shallow bowl in a single 2-4kJ pulse. They will warp fairly easily, and I think are too thin from an electromagnetic perspective too (higher resistance plus has to do with the skin depth, I dont have any formulas handy I just know I had better efficiency with a thicker disk). but of coarse they will work, just depends on how much you care about efficiency. Pretty much anything conductive will work, without much regard to size or shape either, thats the beautiful thing about induction launchers. From the same coil I could launch hard drive platters, pop cans, large copper washers, etc.
Travlax1
Sat Apr 26 2008, 06:44AM
Ok, so I tested it today with a smaller cap bank. I used one that my teacher already had built for a launcher of his own. I cant remember exactly what size but they were pretty standard like 5 or 6" tall and 2 or 3" diameter and we charged them up to around 350V. With 4 of those, the 4" aluminum disk went a measly 3 or 4 feet up. Will using one of a few of the big caps (4000V 375uF) make it into a real launcher (i.e. 30-40 feet?)

Also, I used the switch design I showed and just connected it with another piece of copper tubing and that at least seemed to work just fine.
Barry
Sat Apr 26 2008, 12:24PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Aluminum is just about the best material for an induction launcher. You want something with high conductivity and low mass. The conductivity determines how much induced current will appear. The low mass will result in faster speeds.

I suggest making a table of common metals and for each list the unit conductivity and unit mass. Compute the ratio of each of these, and sort the table by the ratios. I think you will find aluminum at the top of the list, even better than copper and steel. Check it out ... comparing these ratios will tell you (in theory!) how much better one metal will be than another.

You're also wondering how thick the disk should be for best results. The concept is that induced currents are strongest on the surface, and diminish with depth into the disk. At some point there is no useful current flowing and additional thickness is simply extra mass along for the ride.

The eddy current profile is characterized by "skin effect" and it depends on the frequency being used (higher frequency has less depth) and the material's conductivity. Study it on the web at places like Link2 and many others. You'll want to estimate your frequency from f = 1 / (2 pi sqrt(LC)) or better yet measure it with an oscilloscope.

Cheers, Barry

Quantum Singularity
Sat Apr 26 2008, 01:16PM
Its impossible to even take a guess on how to compare your HV caps with the other (electrolytic?) caps without knowing their specs. We need to know the cap specs and how they are wired (series/parallel). The easiest way to get an estimation on how powerful it will be is simply the stored energy in the caps (.5cv^2). Remember the voltage is squared so the energy increases exponentially as you reach nearer to full charge on the caps. I do believe efficiency with your setup will favor the higher voltages of your caps compared to the 350V ones you tried. And I dont believe you realize how powerful those caps might be... at full charge those 4kV caps are 3kJ each, just one of those near full charge should launch a disk pretty much out of sight 100-200' up, and a well designed setup that got between 10-20% efficiency with 3 of those caps (just for example) would be capable of launching the disks I am using (about 60g) at 500-1,000 fps...

Something else that concerns me though, were you using a spark gap switch when you did the 350V cap test? Any protection diodes on the coil? If they are polarized caps you could be damaging them if you have no protection diode, and they could explode. Just wanted to make sure this wasnt the case.
Travlax1
Sat Apr 26 2008, 03:29PM
I'm not positive, Although I do believe he has protection diodes and bleed resistors in the circuit. However, its an older setup and it wouldnt be a big deal if they broke. And as for exploding, they're cased in a half inch lexan box which I think should hold the caps in if they were to explode. For my HV caps,is there the same risk of explosion if theres no protection diode?
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: