All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

[moved] Very High Voltage Coil Gun

Move Thread LAN_403
ramses
Tue Apr 08 2008, 07:43PM
ramses Registered Member #1208 Joined: Thu Jan 03 2008, 05:30PM
I would seriously recommend building one almost exactly like the one TDU uses. his site should have details...
Barry
Tue Apr 08 2008, 09:26PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
I would highly recommend any sort of rugged mechanical switch with a reasonably fast closing time. The mechanical contactor provides lower resistance than any silicon or air-gap switch, and resistance is an extremely important factor in all coilguns of all types.

Not to mention, diagnosis and repair of mechanical switches will be very easy compared to semiconductors. The fabrication cost is expected to be much lower than semiconductors as well.

Cheers, Barry
Second Life is four times better than Half Life
Travlax1
Wed Apr 09 2008, 02:37AM
Travlax1 Registered Member #1388 Joined: Wed Mar 12 2008, 04:42PM
Barry, do you a website that has one of the mechanical switches for sale? Also, what about arcing and the contacts welding shut?

I've looked on the TDU site and see the section on coil guns but I dont see anything about a switch design, does anyone have the link to it?
teslacoolguy
Wed Apr 09 2008, 04:53AM
teslacoolguy Registered Member #1107 Joined: Thu Nov 08 2007, 10:09PM
All it is is 2 pieces of heavy aluminum one piece connected to some strong springs and the other piece stationary and there is like a block of wood im between and when he pulls the block of wood out the switch snaps closed and the more surface area that is conducting the less chance of the electrodes welding shut.
Travlax1
Wed Apr 09 2008, 05:18AM
I understand and like the simplicity of that design, however, is there a safe way to build that or a casing that could be put around it? any pics or drawings? Anything I use has to be extremely foolproof and safe as its being used in a high school where there are a lot of liability issues.
Andyman
Wed Apr 09 2008, 05:19AM
Andyman Registered Member #1083 Joined: Mon Oct 29 2007, 06:16PM
Aluminum is not good for that kind of contact. Brass and/or copper are better. Aluminum vaporizes and melts at a relatively low temp.
The switch is under the can crushing section, and if you still can't find it then:
PulseCapsSwitch Small

Also, heres another type of switch that is isolated from human contact:
Newgap5b
The builder says that the contacts never touch, but come close. This way there is no chance of welding
Travlax1
Wed Apr 09 2008, 03:42PM
Those ideas look great and if I built one, it would probably be the trampoline spring idea, however, I'm looking to buy one premade as i'm coming up on the deadline for my project and want to spend time testing rather than building a switch. Would a heavy duty knife switch like Link2 be able to withstand the capacitor spike without welding? thanks

ramses
Wed Apr 09 2008, 07:40PM
ramses Registered Member #1208 Joined: Thu Jan 03 2008, 05:30PM
i really don't think so. this is what I use:
1207769841 1208 FT40993 100 3707
I use pennies for contacts. they're disposable and dirt cheap. attach each to a 2x4 with a .5" groove with screws and washers, and your done.

if you do decide to go this route, make sure you get pennies made before 1982, so they are copper and not zinc (zinc burns rather well). I just prod a penny duct taped to a stick between them. BOOM!

and with my switch or the bedspring switch, make sure you have a hammer and chisel ready ;)

BTW, when is the deadline
ramses
Andyman
Wed Apr 09 2008, 09:28PM
Andyman Registered Member #1083 Joined: Mon Oct 29 2007, 06:16PM
If you use any pre-made switch, its going to cost ALOT. Check out Link2 . My current switch is a few posts down. Works GREAT, but could use a fatter spring. Took me an afternoon or two to put together.
Travlax1
Mon Apr 14 2008, 04:33AM
Ok I'll be making a pretty simple switch like the ones u guys have recommended. Now for the wire, I came across some 4 gauge audio wire at a store and I just got it but I'm not sure if it'll work. It just says High Quality Speaker Cable. It has a very thick insulation and then the actual wire is the strands of thin wire within the insulation. Will this work?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: