All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

[moved] Very High Voltage Coil Gun

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Travlax1
Wed Mar 12 2008, 04:54PM Print
Travlax1 Registered Member #1388 Joined: Wed Mar 12 2008, 04:42PM
I'm a high school Senior who received a generous donation of a free capacitor. The company has given me several options but I decided to go big and asked for a capacitor similar to the Maxwell Energy Discharge Capacitor (10kv 120uF). I've done some experimenting with just a wall outlet and with some small cap banks, however I was using a classroom model coil that I built that had 18 gauge wire and about 500 turns in the coil. The one I want to build now is made with very low gauge wire and a minimal amount of turns thats powered by the single capacitor. I'm looking for any advice or suggestions that people have as to the construction of the coil, anything I may not be thinking of and also I have been wondering if there are any alternatives to a spark gap for the switch. Thanks, your help is appreciated.
Wolfram
Wed Mar 12 2008, 08:51PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Moved to Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators, as the topic fits much better in this subforum.
ramses
Wed Mar 12 2008, 09:06PM
ramses Registered Member #1208 Joined: Thu Jan 03 2008, 05:30PM
i can almost 100% guarantee that the projectile will saturate, but you could go induction if you don't mind.

you need to make the coil extremely sturdy, because the two ends will attract, smashing the wire together, and that would be bad. TDU has cast coils in ice, sometimes with fibers to increase strength.

the only alternative switch i can think of is mechanical contact like TDU's 16KJ cap bank. sorry i can't get links to work.

good luck, be safe, and post results

ramses
Shaun
Wed Mar 12 2008, 10:18PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
You are pretty much going to be forced to use an induction launcher, unless you plan on launching a massive projectile. However, you're right on with thick wire and low turns. That's what these big discharge caps are for.

6kJ will be quite a bang indoors and will remove limbs should you become part of the circuit. Ironically, the easiest way to switch these capacitors is some sort of spring-loaded mechanical contact switch.

What kind of charging power supply did you have in mind?
w1vlf
Thu Mar 13 2008, 12:31AM
w1vlf Registered Member #1329 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 07:31PM
TDU???
Myke
Thu Mar 13 2008, 02:10AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
Tesla Downunder
Link2
w1vlf
Thu Mar 13 2008, 11:23AM
w1vlf Registered Member #1329 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 07:31PM
Thank you!! Sory ,,still new to this game
Travlax1
Thu Mar 13 2008, 06:48PM
Travlax1 Registered Member #1388 Joined: Wed Mar 12 2008, 04:42PM
Ok, we're going in a slightly different direction now. The guy who's donating our capacitors actually has 4 4000V, 3000 Joule (375 uF) capacitors which we're going to take instead. So, with this is mind, should I go with them in series for high voltage or parallel for capacitance? Also, what would be the best wire to use and how many coils? Thanks
ramses
Thu Mar 13 2008, 07:39PM
ramses Registered Member #1208 Joined: Thu Jan 03 2008, 05:30PM
that depends. if induction, i would be inclined to go series parallel. TDU ( again, see the link), has had awesome results with all parallel, but most of the pulse will probably come after the projectile leaves the field. and how did you get someone to donate those beasts? i would suggest series MOTs to charge, you'd need 3-4 in series to charge to ~8kv.

play safe,
ramses
WaveRider
Thu Mar 13 2008, 09:32PM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
If you want to design an induction launcher, smaller capacitance and higher voltages are desirable. This would favour a series combination of your capacitors.

Keep in mind that induction guns need 10-100 times the current and 0.1-0.01 times the firing current pulse widths to achieve good performance in comparison to reluctance guns. Mechanical switches would be the way to go, as well as careful attention to coil current/armature/capacitor voltage dynamics for optimal performance.

Also, special attention needs to be paid to mechanical design of the coil if you want to pass 10kA through it without self-destructing as a result of forces on the windings. Insulation capable of withstanding kV of interturn voltage will be needed too...

Techniques for induction guns have a lot in common with can crushers. TDU's can crushing experiments can yield some excellent tips for switching high current/high voltage.

If you choose to go the reluctance gun route, use armatures that reduce eddy currents....otherwise your results will likely be disappointing given the capacitor energy at your disposal...

Have fun and be safe!
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: