Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Violet Wand

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Thomas W
Wed Jun 13 2012, 11:02AM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
i think, just for the point of it, NOT FOR REAL USE
to make a 10Kw fullbridge Violet Wand... dang that would be scary...
Nik
Wed Jun 13 2012, 02:09PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
I have seen some of those kicker-relay type TC's before, and I assume violet wands are pretty much the same thing in a more compact envelope. I may be wrong, but I presume the tormentfulness factor of the thing is adjusted simply by adjusting the size of the topload.

The ouch factor on my violet wand is adjusted by a thumbscrew on the bottom, as far as I know it crudely adjusts how much current is going through the main zapping coil before the relay opens and you get a spark. When the screw is all the way in it takes very little current to open the relay and there are very small sparks.
BubeeMike
Sat Jun 16 2012, 01:39AM
BubeeMike Registered Member #4829 Joined: Thu May 10 2012, 04:55PM
Thanks you guys. And my intention is really to focus on the device factor. These are actually used for many things, including but not limited to vacuum leak testing like has been stated wink. Oh, thanks for the compliment on the catsuit. That is actually an original made for the “Batman Returns” Movie for Michelle Pfeiffer. We made this one for the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY for a super hero exhibit. We own Syren Latex which is our Latex Fashion co. We do a lot of Hollywood costuming being here in LA. I think it is safe to talk about that company here.

And Steve I assure you we try everything new on ourselves first. Lol I will definitely spare the group the details of what this can mean. I love the advice I and thoughts I am getting here, and I have a huge file in OneNote that I think would show anyone how serious I am about learning about this personally. My goal is to become one of the most knowledgeable in my industry. I think what I mostly missing is real live experience in this space, micro-culture, or hobby.. However you would classify this interest.

There are many people in my world that are full of hot air and don’t have half the knowledge I see in places like this forum. I want to bring this knowledge over to areas that could benefit from both the innovation as well as the safety factor. Honestly, I am practically begging, I would love for someone to just take me under their wing, I am not just this willing for a business reason, this type of research is right up my alley. I am the type of guy that builds all our company computers and make sure we have video cards we can Lan Party with. I also recently learned SolidWorks and can 3D model and run simulations. I really take a hands on approach to the way I run this company.

So if anyone has any suggestions of anyone worth meeting here in LA or a good place for me to go next, a coiling get together, convention, anything.. I will fly anywhere. If anyone has any suggestions of a person that could help me get involved, I also need a paid consultant and I could fly them here as well. I do have some ideas of how I might be able to repay any of this help in direction back to this community as well. We have pretty deep manufacturing capability. I believe this can be symbiotic.
BubeeMike
Sat Jun 16 2012, 05:44AM
I forgot to mention, have taken apart a Violet Wand (SG & SS) and will be posting pictures this weekend.
Steve Conner
Sat Jun 16 2012, 08:22AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I think a good start would be for you to reverse-engineer the solid-state wand. Draw out the schematic, identify the parts, measure the operating frequency and so on.
Marko
Sat Jun 16 2012, 02:10PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi Mike -

Not to discourage you regarding it, but I'm not too sure about how much would coiling events teach you about how to design violet wands... as Steve said, the way to go is to dismantle some existing ones!

I'm also quite curious how the solid state one is designed. It may be a plain CW multiplier, or I could be surprised!

Marko
BubeeMike
Sun Jun 17 2012, 08:38AM
Hi guys, I have been reverse engineering or at least documenting what was done previously. But the issue is if what was out there was acceptable that would be fine. I am looking to re engineer these. My concern over the solid state is frequency. there is a VERY noticeable difference in the feel between SS and the old Violet Wands. So I am considering both and even making both. But my concern with the SS is if I will be able to adjust the frequency enough to make any real difference in my market. I could be wrong but i am concerned that SS will not be plausible.

I am curious if anyone has found any configuration more adjustable than the others such as VTTC's for non-SS, DRSSTC's for Solid State, etc..? I really want to look at re-developing these from the ground up because it hasn't been done in over 40 years. As has been stated. I am looking in to coil winding machines, in order to make samples of different types.. I see that people are suggesting I look at Ignition coils, etc... But I can have custom coils made, I don't need to find spare parts, we have real manufacturing ability. Plus the ignition coil is not going to fit in the enclosure this size. Is there any ideas on coil sizes I should be looking at for primary and secondary for various configurations? Or core types?

I would like to be able to adjust frequency or oscillation as well as power. The old style I think just do oscillation by adjusting what seems to be the spark gap distance. (Again, I will post pictures) it is impressive mechanical design for its time.

I do need some coiling experience as I have no base of knowledge from which to draw. Just 9 months of my spare time reading.. I understand it won't teach me how to make VW's, but I do think it would be good to get my feet wet.
Marko
Sun Jun 17 2012, 04:12PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hello -

I'd say it's a bit more complicated than saying a certain frequency is good or bad. The solid state wand might not even eb a tesla coil after all.

So I think you better post us some pictures of both in parts wink

Marko
BubeeMike
Mon Jun 25 2012, 03:39AM
ok Guys, I am really sorry it took so long. But I am really juggling a lot right now. But here are the images.

IMG_6987.JPG
Link2

IMG_6988.JPG
Link2

IMG_6989.JPG
Link2

IMG_6990.JPG
Link2

IMG_6991.JPG
Link2

IMG_6992.JPG
Link2

IMG_6993.JPG
Link2

IMG_6994.JPG
Link2

IMG_6995.JPG
Link2

IMG_6996.JPG
Link2

IMG_6997.JPG
Link2

IMG_6998.JPG
Link2

IMG_6999.JPG
Link2

IMG_7000.JPG
Link2

IMG_7001.JPG
Link2

IMG_7002.JPG
Link2

IMG_7003.JPG
Link2

IMG_7004.JPG
Link2

IMG_7005.JPG
Link2
BubeeMike
Mon Jun 25 2012, 03:41AM
oops, missed a few.
IMG_7005.JPG
Link2

IMG_7006.JPG
Link2

IMG_7007.JPG
Link2

IMG_7008.JPG
Link2

IMG_7009.JPG
Link2

IMG_7010.JPG
Link2

IMG_7011.JPG
Link2

IMG_7012.JPG
Link2

IMG_7013.JPG
Link2

IMG_7014.JPG
Link2

IMG_7015.JPG
Link2

IMG_7016.JPG
Link2
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: