Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Super effcient Fly-back driver, over 55KV, single mosfet, direct 220V

Move Thread LAN_403
Mates
Sun Sept 23 2007, 09:32PM Print
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
Hi people,
I'm new here but I'd like to share my own scheme for fly-back HV source. It took me a while to design it, despite the final scheme is very simple. The biggetst advantage of this circuit is that it needs no tranformer and the transistor needs almost no heat sink. I'm using this HV source for my 500KV Marx generator which I post next time (It's my big baby :) ).
Any comments or questoins are welcomed

OK according to the spikes:
You can try diodes rated for 400V, after you destroy them you can try 600V than 1200V and you end up with 2000V minimum. That's my experience (I sent a tens of diodes in silicon heaven!!!)

Cheers Mates
1190583040 1025 FT0 Spark

1190583041 1025 FT0 Scheme

1190583041 1025 FT0 Complet
uzzors2k
Mon Sept 24 2007, 02:38PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Cool, I wanted to make something similar, but with a UC3842 to elimate the 12V transformer. What frequency and duty cycle are you using?

Whats up with the super mains rectifier? I thought a a standard 400V bridge would do, maybe with an input filter.
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Sept 24 2007, 04:05PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I don't know what you mean by super efficient, how much heat does it dissipate? Over 95% efficiency is not uncommon in a flyback driver.
You don't need TVS or varistors, a mosfet will clamp the voltage by itself if it exceeds maximum d-s rating.
But nevertheless, it's respectable that you got it working this way, in my experience the flyback spikes in a single-ended flyback driver exceed at least 5x supply voltage (in the case of rectified mains it would be over 1500V.)
What is the driver frequency and average input power?
Mates
Mon Sept 24 2007, 04:14PM
I´m using 25KHz 1:1 squere signal and as driving circuit tl494 (555 is crap!) powered by two 9V (18V) bateries. The rectifier diodes are needed at least for 2000V, I'm using 4000V because I'm using as a HV source for my 500KV Marx and I want to be sure. The reason why at least 2KV is that this circuit is woking in "resonant" mode with the primary of the Fly-back where the induction sometimes leads to couple of KV. Mates
Mates
Mon Sept 24 2007, 04:22PM
The TVS are absolutely necessary for protecting the FET...(my collection of death MOSFETs is huge so know what I´m saying). I mean by the super efficecy the fact that there is no single part in this circuit which is becoming hot. But of course the half-bridge do the same job. The power consuption - I have no idea - my quess is around 200W - I'll mesure it...
Dago
Mon Sept 24 2007, 05:54PM
Dago Registered Member #538 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 08:33PM
jmartis wrote ...

I don't know what you mean by super efficient, how much heat does it dissipate? Over 95% efficiency is not uncommon in a flyback driver.
You don't need TVS or varistors, a mosfet will clamp the voltage by itself if it exceeds maximum d-s rating.

Only if the MOSFET is avalanche rated.
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Sept 24 2007, 06:22PM
Dago wrote ...

jmartis wrote ...

Only if the MOSFET is avalanche rated.
Most today mosfets are :)
uzzors2k
Mon Sept 24 2007, 07:02PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Mates wrote ...

The rectifier diodes are needed at least for 2000V, I'm using 4000V because I'm using as a HV source for my 500KV Marx and I want to be sure. The reason why at least 2KV is that this circuit is working in "resonant" mode with the primary of the Fly-back where the induction sometimes leads to couple of KV. Mates

I was under the impression that the flyback spikes appear at the drain/primary connection and were clamped to ground by the snubber at x volts. This means the voltage at the mosfet drain is 1500V at a spike, but the voltage at ground remains 0, and the voltage at V+ remains V+. Have I misunderstood flyback operation? dead I'm pretty sure you can get away with a rectifier sized for the input voltage since the spikes are clamped and have relatively little energy, but you may want to hear this from someone else, since I'm actually in doubt here.

Oh btw, instead of double posting just edit your previous post and add the extra content. It keeps the moderators happy.
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Oct 25 2007, 07:51AM
I don't want to start a new thread, but I had an idea for a snubber that would return the left over energy in the transformer to the filter capacitor. Do you think this will work?

1193298693 152 FT31810 Snubber

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: