All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

low voltage coil guns?

Move Thread LAN_403
Michael Brown
Sat Sept 15 2007, 10:00PM
Michael Brown Registered Member #1005 Joined: Sat Sept 15 2007, 09:55PM
For a school project that I'm finishing up this weekend, a couple of my friends and I decided to build a coilgun. We ended up basing it around a 76000 MFD 15 VDC capacitor I found in my garage, and it worked to some extent (it averaged about 0.22% efficiency but at the same time we barely knew what we were doing)
Quantum Singularity
Mon Sept 24 2007, 09:25AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Higher voltages are often found in induction type coilguns where you want the fastest pulse and largest current. Several thousand volt capacitor banks are not uncommon with these, and when you get that high all you need is a spark gap to trigger so less cost/complexity on the switch (well depending on a few things).
David.Lightman
Sun Mar 02 2008, 04:41AM
David.Lightman Registered Member #1327 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 12:13AM
I'm still tying to learn the math involved. I built my first coilgun with 3 27000 mfd caps @ 14.8 volts. I found that each time I added a cap the projectile went a little further. Still with only 3 caps each @ 27000 mfd @ 14.8 vdc my projective only traveled a few inches. I assume the more mfds, the more power, thus high voltage = more power with less mfds. Again, I am still trying to learn the math and a lot more. D.L

Thanks to a formula found on Barry Website, "W = V2 * C / 2" "W = energy in joules (watt-seconds) V = voltage in volts C = capacitance in farads" and Google is my best friend.

14.8 vdc = 8.87112 Joules

250 vdc = 2531.25

More volts, more bang.

Math getting easier. ;)

D.L

[Edit: Double post]
ramses
Mon Mar 03 2008, 08:57PM
ramses Registered Member #1208 Joined: Thu Jan 03 2008, 05:30PM
in general, people use more voltage to increase the energy as opposed to capacity. this shortens the pulse to the duration where the pulse is gone by the time the projectile is in the center of the coil.

assume:
.1 ohm total resistance, 10v, 1 farad( 50 joules)
1KW for .05 seconds

.1 ohm total resistance, 10000uf 100v (50 joules)

100KW output for .0005 seconds

1000v 100uf (still 50 joules) .1 ohm =>

10 MW for 0.000005 seconds.

the faster the pulse the faster the projectile speed before suckback

but if you go overboard on voltage, your projectile saturates and any extra magnetic energy goes toward keeping your projectile from moving. try the gausspistol.com calculator, and keep max flux density under 3 teslas...

have fun,
ramses
pbfree
Wed Mar 12 2008, 01:44AM
pbfree Registered Member #1386 Joined: Tue Mar 11 2008, 08:16AM
The electrical reason to include with ramses good input is resistance. You can only push a finite amount of current through a resistor. You need that high voltge to overcame the DC winding resistance of the coil to get that large current spike regarless of capacitance and projectiles. If the average hobby coilgun had coils down into an amazing .1 ohm winding resistance at 25 degrees C using the same coil geometry and wire length of a 0.5 ohm coil, then 66V would accomplish the same current pulsing work as 330v.

Yeah, you can use low voltage but remember power in is power out minus loss. Same reason why cars use above 1.5 litters of displacement. I bet a .1 litter car would be very efficient but would it cary is own weight plus passanger upto the rated highway miles per hour? No.
ramses
Wed Mar 12 2008, 09:14PM
ramses Registered Member #1208 Joined: Thu Jan 03 2008, 05:30PM
also keep in mind that my calculation COMPLETELY ignored inductance, which is usualy a huge factor in the pulse width. and .1 ohms seems massive, i don't see how you could consider it an extreme low. my multimeter's self resistance is ~.3ohms, so i can't measure accurately way down there.

and the reason i changed capacitance
1- to keep energy constant and
2- is because i can find 1 farad, 12v caps, but would anyone like to sell me a 1 farad, 1kv cap? 1 MJ would be sweet...

ramses

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: