Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Small DRSSTC

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
williamn
Fri Feb 10 2006, 06:10AM Print
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
After viewing Reaching's mini coil, I now have the itch to build a smallish DRSSTC. The idea of being able to run it in the house without too much setup time or worry apeals to me. I am going to use a halfbridge of 40N60A4 IGBTs and 3000uf/200V worth of lytics. The hole shebang will fit on a 4"x5" PCB(bridge and all). No variac, the last interuptor I made(for my BigDRSSTC testcoil) worked very well with very fine adjustability, I will use something similar for this one too. Secondary specs are 3.5" x 8" wound with 34AWG. A unloaded Fres of approx 350Khz. I hope to make it a weekend thing. I have everything I need laying around. I shall call him Mini Me.

EDIT: 17/2/06 MiniMe is just about finished. I just have to make a few connections and it should be up and running. I will tune it up and take some pictures tonight.

EDIT: 20/2/06 Here is a video clip of the coil running. This was one of the earlier runs. (first full power run with no primary to secondary racing arcs.
Link2
Bennem
Sun Feb 12 2006, 05:23PM
Bennem Registered Member #154 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:28PM
Hi William, i too built a small DRSSTC with a full bridge of HGT1N40N60A4D igbts.....my secondary dia is 2.9 inch by 8.9 inch tall,32AWG wire, fres with torroid is about 300khz,with overcurrent/primary current feedback,it works great! giving 24 inch spark. good luck with your mini me!
1139764998 154 FT290 My Mini Tesla Coil
williamn
Sun Feb 19 2006, 07:27PM
Here is my small DRSSTC build and ready to go. It works great and I have run it for quite long run times. I am using the 30N60A4 as I found a bunch of them while cleaning. I will post a link to a video today. I am trying to find a nice spun toroid for it, the one in the pic is dreadful.
1140377273 55 FT290 Mini Me Drsstc
Bennem
Sun Feb 19 2006, 08:11PM
Bennem Registered Member #154 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:28PM
It looks great William!
Did you use Primary current feedback?
What are your coil parameters?
Once again, nice looking coil!
look forward to seeing it in action!
williamn
Sun Feb 19 2006, 09:38PM
I use primary current feedback, anlong with OCD. I used Steve Ward"s #3 circuit, the only thing I changed was the OCD circuit(uses a different comparator) and the RC timing components on the flipflop. The halfbridge of 30N60s has two 1500uf 250V lytics and two ultrafast high current diodes to form a doubler. The MMC consists of 3 parallel strings of two serriesed 47nf 1500V LCR PE caps. So its 70nf 3KV. Everything is on one 4.5"x 4" PCB. I am really happy with the PCB layout, it could run a mutch larger coil. I built up the bridge traces with a ton of solder, then using MEK scrubbed off all of that nasty flux residue. The whole mess is stuffed inside an old stand I built sometime ago. I use a dual 555 timer setup(pwm) interuptor (no burst mode). I can adjust from 5usec to 200usec on time (in 10 turns) so I dont use a variac, which is my favorite part! Here is a 20ish inch strike picture. This coil is really durable, I have run it most of the weekend!
1140402722 55 FT0 Drsstc 20inch

[Edit: Fixed oversized picture]
JimG
Mon Feb 20 2006, 02:41AM
JimG Registered Member #52 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:22AM
What are the dimensions on your secondary and top load?
williamn
Thu Feb 23 2006, 03:46AM
Secondary is 9" total length. It is elevated by a spacer 1.5". Torroid is 3.25"x9". Total hieght of the whole setup is just under 19". I have been fooling around with more primary capacitance. I think I nailed the coupling as I no longer get racing sparks or primary to secondary arcs at full power. I added another string of capacitors to bring total C up to 106nf. Length has improved a few more inches and now all the coil wants to do is strike the controls underneath. I have had too many strikes to the BNC jack already, so I am going to add the hardware cloth shielding method as Steve Ward has done with his coils. I also noticed the OCD comparator is quite sensitive to noise. I had to load down the CT with more resistance. I ordered one of those 12"x3" spun toroids from (shutter) infounlimited. I really like this coil.
Steve Ward
Thu Feb 23 2006, 07:32AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Cool little coil. Looks like there are a lot of DRSSTCs out there now! I cant wait till i can work on TCs again smile.

Oh, and the OCD should be pretty noise immune if you followed 2 details of the design. First, mount the main burden resistor right on the PCB. Second, you should have about 100 ohms after the full-wave rectifier, which will give the comparator input an impedance of 100 ohms now (instead of many MEG ohms as it would typically be). Also, adding some .1uF ceramics right at the pins of the comparator inputs really helps out. Before adding the 100R across the input, my comparator would trigger from the smallest amount of noise. The circuit as ive shown now is quite reliable on all of my coils (i only see it light up during ground strikes, as it should).
Dr. Drone
Tue Mar 14 2006, 06:17AM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
GimpyJoe
Tue Mar 14 2006, 02:45PM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
confused wow! That's a nice coil! Does the efficiency suffer with the smaller coil? What's your input power to get 35" arcs?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: