All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Question relating to electric guitar pickups and capacitance .

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Fri Feb 05 2016, 01:07AM Print
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I've been puzzling over this one for ages now

Suppose you have a typical single coil electric guitar pickup, no humbucker or anything just a simple single coil pickup, as used by Fender, for example

Now, suppose you wind it for, say, 10 Henries, using AWG 43 wire, but tap it at every Henry, so you end up with a multi - tapped pickup wired to a ten way switch, for example, so you can change the inductance of the pickup just by turning a knob .

What I want to know is, supposing the switch is set to one Henry inductance, does the capacitance of the unused windings contribute to the capacitance of the coil, or do I only need to consider the capacitance of the windings currently switched into the circuit?
DerAlbi
Fri Feb 05 2016, 03:42AM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
First thing crossing my mind: "a tap every Henry". How would you do it?
Lets say youve got an AL-value of 10mH. So you need 10 turns for 1H. For 2H you need only 14 turns. So your Taps would be: 10 turns, 14 turns, 17 turns and so on. Strange: the coil fomred between turn 10 and turn 4 can only have 160mH.
Somehow the model of the coupled inductor is in the way here.

But answering your question concerning the parasitics: it depends on the coupling.
If the coupling is bad, then the parasitic capacitance decreases, because the turn-2-turn capacitance wont do much of the unused turns. You are basically left with a piece of wire thats acting as capacitance against earth - might be bad on its own.. but...
If the coupling is strong, then you wont gain much. The parasitic capacitance is a load to the "transformer" which is reflected to the soruce according to the winding-ratio. So using only half the turns still gives you the full parasitic capacitance.
Ash Small
Fri Feb 05 2016, 04:08AM
Thanks for the reply Der Albi, I thought the answer might be along the lines of 'neither one or the other' , I'm just going to have to build a test rig and make some measurements.

Off the top of my head, without checking references, I think these type of pickups require in the region of 6-8 thousand turns for a few Henries, although, as we all know, there is more to it than just the number of turns.

Fender's own pickups can vary from less than two Henries on some more modern pickups to nearly ten on some of the early ones from 65 years ago.
radiotech
Fri Feb 05 2016, 10:09AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
What kind of switch could you design to open and close such a small potential with no
wiping potential, and to work reliably after having been bounced all over the land by a
traveling musician .

Design the switch, to engage multiple windings in series parallel, so each step uses ALL the copper.

At the amplifier end, do the same with an input transformer.

What will happen, is the project will produce a 'voicing' switch.

Subtle as it is, if the coil draws power from the strings, it damps them.

Here is a scheme for maximum copper usage of a winding, from long ago.

1454666939 2463 FT175305 Ne 171c

1454666939 2463 FT175305 Ne 171c Strapping
Ash Small
Fri Feb 05 2016, 11:52AM
You've some excellent ideas there RT. I did read somewhere that putting a capacitor in parallel with the switch, and maybe a resistor too, would eliminate such problems.

This isn't a new idea, you can already buy something similar. I'm just considering combining it with some other ideas I have.

Apparently the lead from the guitar to the amplifier can have significant capacitance. Would it be better to put the impedance matching network on the guitar side of the lead ?

EDIT: String pull is a fascinating subject in itself wink
radiotech
Fri Feb 05 2016, 07:12PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
The best solution is to incorporate a preamp into the pickup and phantom-power it
from the amplifier, or from the studio mixer itself. Then lead capacitance vanishes
and the signal can 30dB higher.

See Link2
Ash Small
Fri Feb 05 2016, 08:16PM
I don't really want to use active pickups if possible, but I do now have an idea involving a rewound vintage interstage transformer with multiple switchable primaries wink
Signification
Sat Feb 06 2016, 05:44AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
I am not familiar with such "pickup coils" at all. But what would happen if you shorted out all the unused windings via the taps above the desired inductance? For example, if you want 4H, short "ALL" the other taps--not just 4-10, but 4-5, 5-6, 6-7, 7-8, 8-9, 9-10?

Or a switch that connects tap 4 to the circuit and completely isolates the rest of the coil at tap 5, leaving the remaining 6H coil floating and/or shorted?
Sigurthr
Sat Feb 06 2016, 06:49AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Those shorted sections just appear as shorts, loading down the output signal. It's the same as if you had a power transformer and shorted all the windings you didn't use.

@Ash what significance does stray capacitance have on the guitar signal anyway? It's all AF range, so aside from maybe some weird resonances all you'd see are phase changes right? If your amp is voltage driven (or specifically, if the amp's preamp is) what significance does phase changes have on the output.

I like the idea of multiple varied impedance taps, it would be interesting to hear the differences in sound. But I wonder what would happen if you were to include two variable capacitors and a bypass switch into the build? One varicap in parallel, one in series, with the series one able to be bypassed (shorted) with the switch. You should be able to play around with capacitance then to see if there is any noticeable changes in sound. You wouldn't even need to incorporate them into the guitar body, just make an effect box out of them. I can see the series capacitance would need to be hefty in order to not cause a severe high pass effect, but the parallel capacitance could be on the order of what your suspected inter-winding capacitance is, and that wouldn't be large at all.
Ash Small
Sat Feb 06 2016, 02:43PM
Sigurther, it's pretty much exactly what you describe as 'wierd resonances'. That's basically all that differentiates the tone or sound of one guitar compared to another.

The tone circuit on an electric guitar uses capacators pretty much the way you describe.

Any LCR circuit will resonate at some frequencies, and tend to block others.

Any guitar pickup has a resonant peak, frequencies around this resonant peak are enhanced, while frequencies above this tend to be blocked. Frequencies below this point just sound like you would expect them to.

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Stray capacitance or added capacitors will lower the resonant peak.

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: