All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ballast Vs. Arc output

Move Thread LAN_403
skyler
Sun Oct 25 2015, 09:17PM Print
skyler Registered Member #42712 Joined: Fri Jan 10 2014, 01:21AM
I have been working on a tesla coil, but I am confused why a ballast increases the output, while no ballast leaves us with practically no arcs.

Here is a clip without any ballast:

Here is a clip with one secondary shorted MOT

Here is two MOTs used in parallel with each other for a ballast

I thought a ballast should just be used to prevent your circuit breaker from popping due to too much current... Why is the ballast making the output have larger arcs than with no ballast??

What ballast can we implement to have the best arcs?
omegalabs
Tue Oct 27 2015, 08:59PM
omegalabs Registered Member #1521 Joined: Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:46AM
A little more information would be useful.
I know only one case, when this could happen, but not with MOTs.
We used a low drop pole transformer about 16kVA and 5%, and because its low drop, the spark gap was arcing and there was no output. I placed a big resistance on the primary side (a lot of hairdriers) and it gave immediately 1,5m spakrs without any other thing changed.
But it's not the case with your coil, as MOTs are internally current limited, their drop is around 20-50%. Maybe something in your circuit is arcing over from the excess voltage.
skyler
Wed Oct 28 2015, 04:45AM
skyler Registered Member #42712 Joined: Fri Jan 10 2014, 01:21AM
omegalabs wrote ...

A little more information would be useful.
I know only one case, when this could happen, but not with MOTs.
We used a low drop pole transformer about 16kVA and 5%, and because its low drop, the spark gap was arcing and there was no output. I placed a big resistance on the primary side (a lot of hairdriers) and it gave immediately 1,5m spakrs without any other thing changed.
But it's not the case with your coil, as MOTs are internally current limited, their drop is around 20-50%. Maybe something in your circuit is arcing over from the excess voltage.

May it have to do with the asyncronous spark gap? It seems like the arcs are even failing to bridge the gap on the Spark Gap when the tesla coil is activated without a ballast.
GrantX
Wed Oct 28 2015, 07:12AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
skyler wrote ...

May it have to do with the asyncronous spark gap? It seems like the arcs are even failing to bridge the gap on the Spark Gap when the tesla coil is activated without a ballast.
What sort of power supply are you using? I'm assuming its a stack of MOTs, since you are using some for ballasting. If you have an open-circuit voltage of only ~4kV you might have trouble getting the gap to fire reliably. How large is the capacitor? I had a situation once where the tank capacitor was far too small for the amount of current the supply could push, and it resulted in the spark gap forming hot power arcs. If it's too big your supply may struggle to charge it before the gap electrodes line up. Or you might have a situation where the combined inductance of the ballast MOTs and the tank capacitor are causing the voltage to ring up slightly beyond the turns ratio, allowing the gap to fire more consistently.

I'm not sure how likely any of those are, but without pictures of the setup I can't think of much else.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: