All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Building a SSTC and have question about capacitors

Move Thread LAN_403
IRISHLUCK
Fri Aug 14 2015, 12:30AM Print
IRISHLUCK Registered Member #5555 Joined: Mon Jul 02 2012, 02:18PM
Im building a new tesla coil and found plans on a SSTC that im currently putting together.
Here is the website:

Link2

This Tesla Coil requires the use of 3- 500pf 10kv doorknob capacitors.
Unfortunately I have only found these on one site and they are over in china for $20 each.
Im trying to find something within the states.(USA(

I found 500pf 12.5kv doorknob capacitors but am not sure if it would be safe to use?
I think it would because the plans require a standard automotive coil to be used.
Well a standard automotive coil is about 30kv. So a 12.5kv capacitor I think would be just fine because it shouldn't exceed 30kv anyways right?

Any thoughts?
loneoceans
Fri Aug 14 2015, 01:08AM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
IRISHLUCK wrote ...

Im building a new tesla coil and found plans on a SSTC that im currently putting together.
Here is the website:

Link2

Unfortunately I have only found these on one site and they are over in china for $20 each.

I found 500pf 12.5kv doorknob capacitors but am not sure if it would be safe to use?
I think it would because the plans require a standard automotive coil to be used.
Well a standard automotive coil is about 30kv. So a 12.5kv capacitor I think would be just fine because it shouldn't exceed 30kv anyways right?

Any thoughts?

Well the page certainly has an interesting name to that coil! Just to be clear, the page in fact describes a conventional spark gap Tesla Coil, and not the Solid State Coils that people are familiar with today. The difference between the coil described in the page and a conventional spark gap coil is that the high voltage transformer is replaced with an ignition coil and a circuit to drive the ignition coil - that's what he refers to when he says 'solid state'.

For a more conventional SSTC, I wrote a page describing it: Link2

Answering your question, the page calls for a 1.5nF 10kV doorknob capacitor, so using 3 of your 12.5kV ones should work fine if you follow that page. For tesla coils though, people usually use polypropylene film capacitors. Personally, I'd simply buy a small NST or OBIT and work from there, or build a conventional SSTC :)
IRISHLUCK
Fri Aug 14 2015, 04:36AM
IRISHLUCK Registered Member #5555 Joined: Mon Jul 02 2012, 02:18PM
loneoceans wrote ...

IRISHLUCK wrote ...

Here is the website:

Link2

Any thoughts?

Well the page certainly has an interesting name to that coil! Just to be clear, the page in fact describes a conventional spark gap Tesla Coil, and not the Solid State Coils that people are familiar with today. The difference between the coil described in the page and a conventional spark gap coil is that the high voltage transformer is replaced with an ignition coil and a circuit to drive the ignition coil - that's what he refers to when he says 'solid state'.

For a more conventional SSTC, I wrote a page describing it: Link2

Answering your question, the page calls for a 1.5nF 10kV doorknob capacitor, so using 3 of your 12.5kV ones should work fine if you follow that page. For tesla coils though, people usually use polypropylene film capacitors. Personally, I'd simply buy a small NST or OBIT and work from there, or build a conventional SSTC :)

Well thats good to know lol
Oh well, guess I have half a SSTC and a SPTC.

Ive already soldered up the main board, and bought the 18v transformer. Also already spun the secondary coil.

I just need the capacitors and primary coil now.

I guess after I finish this one ill build an actual SSTC.
Any good places for plans?
Ill read up on your page as well!
GrantX
Fri Aug 14 2015, 07:20AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Are you using an ignition coil or flyback for the high voltage source? For an SGTC like this, an ignition coil would probably be much easier, since you would need to protect the HV diodes in the flyback from RF spikes. Luckily, old ignition coils are usually dirt cheap and common, plus they can handle repeated voltage spikes in the region of 30 kV without too much risk.

And once you're finished with this spark gap coil, you can use the driver circuit and the ignition coil as a stand-alone generic HV power supply, and re-use your coil assembly for the SSTC.

The spark gap described on that page is a little feeble, some small brass spheres or threaded rod from a furniture maker or hardware store would be a quick'n'cheap upgrade, providing longer run times before the electrodes overheat. Tungsten is always stated to be the best choice, but it's quite expensive and definitely overkill for these power levels.
Perezx
Wed Aug 26 2015, 09:56AM
Perezx Registered Member #54263 Joined: Thu Jan 15 2015, 09:54AM
If you want to use ignition coils, then you should keep in mind the fact, that they can produce VERY high voltages, up to 30-40kV
In fact, the voltage in your primary will be set by your spark gap (SG) in case of static gap. Usually it is considered that 1mm of SG is equal to 1 kV. So, making an SG of 7-8mm will provide you approx. 10 kV, which is OK for your capacitors.
If you want to make rotary gap (RSG), then maximum voltage is a function of BPS (discharges per second) and capacitance. Safety tip is to spin up RSG to hundreds BPS before switching on ignition.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: