Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

induction heater

Move Thread LAN_403
RateReducer
Sun Feb 15 2015, 09:09PM Print
RateReducer Registered Member #4603 Joined: Wed Apr 25 2012, 07:33PM
Hi.
I built a series resonant induction heater that i wanted to show you guys here.
PLL based. Running on several kW @ about 30kHz.

demonstration:

DSC 0035 Zpsljjg3q1v
DSC 0039 Zpsly9ywgii
DSC 0041 Zpsjtjy69rc
DSC 0044 Zps1hip07lk

after switching off:

DSC 0045 Zpsg44yjkyg

I will upload some videos of the IH in operation soon. I ordered a graphite crucible - will do some experimenting with it. I will post the results wink

Edit 1:

Edit2: received the graphite crucible...
Successfully melted a whole lot of aluminium!!!

DSC 0054 Zpsvkbybgog

DSC 0055 Zpso9130egi
Gabriel35
Sat Mar 07 2015, 11:26PM
Gabriel35 Registered Member #2310 Joined: Wed Aug 19 2009, 08:04PM
So nice! Could you post more details about it?
Signification
Fri Mar 20 2015, 01:55AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
I am working on my first induction heater. I want to start as simple and basic as possible based on one that works. I have acquired ALL BUT ONE component (a noise filter inductor) for the circuit shown here:
Link2
Here is what mystifies me...on the first paragraph just below the schematic, the small toroid, L2, is described (and pictured). An inductance of 2mH is specified...BUT, can someone please tell me how to get 2mH (2000uh) out of this small toroid? It is described as having only 8 turns of 2mm magnet wire--I don't even get 200uH! Is there some specific core material (I tried many cores) I should be looking for?? There is also a youtube video based on this circuit that seems to indicate 2mH in an assembled unit.
hen918
Fri Mar 20 2015, 09:04PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Signification wrote ...

I am working on my first induction heater. I want to start as simple and basic as possible based on one that works. I have acquired ALL BUT ONE component (a noise filter inductor) for the circuit shown here:
Link2
Here is what mystifies me...on the first paragraph just below the schematic, the small toroid, L2, is described (and pictured). An inductance of 2mH is specified...BUT, can someone please tell me how to get 2mH (2000uh) out of this small toroid? It is described as having only 8 turns of 2mm magnet wire--I don't even get 200uH! Is there some specific core material (I tried many cores) I should be looking for?? There is also a youtube video based on this circuit that seems to indicate 2mH in an assembled unit.

In answer to your last question, yes, there is a massive range of different permeability materials, that will give massively different inductances per turn. I would buy a toroidal inductor that is a similar inductance to the one you want, and then rewind it with more or less turns to get it right. If you just want it for a filter however, the inductance is far from critical; the right order of magnitude should do!
Experimentonomen
Mon Mar 23 2015, 01:01PM
Experimentonomen Registered Member #941 Joined: Sun Aug 05 2007, 10:09AM
hen918 wrote ...

Signification wrote ...

Link2

In answer to your last question, yes, there is a massive range of different permeability materials, that will give massively different inductances per turn. I would buy a toroidal inductor that is a similar inductance to the one you want, and then rewind it with more or less turns to get it right. If you just want it for a filter however, the inductance is far from critical; the right order of magnitude should do!

In my opinion the mazzilli/royer based ih circuit is not worth the time and effort.
hen918
Mon Mar 23 2015, 06:34PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Ahhh yes, just looked at sig's link: If it is a Mazzilli circuit, the "filter" inductor can be anything between 30 and 200uf from experimentation, I tend to use a 3 series 3 parallel arrangement of 2Amp little torroidal inductors. I have found high powered Mazzilli circuits to be difficult to get right: I had a lot of problems with the MOSFETs dissipating an awful lot of heat. I have since realised this was probably due to "fake" MOSFETs. I'll have to get some from farnell and try again.
Signification
Tue Mar 24 2015, 10:43AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
hen918 wrote ...

I had a lot of problems with the MOSFETs dissipating an awful lot of heat. I have since realised this was probably due to "fake" MOSFETs. I'll have to get some from farnell and try again.

What's a fake MOSFET?
I'm guessing maybe those cheap things from China? If so, then I suppose the data sheet is totally useless...unless they make one for the 'fake'. In fact, this is where I got the MOSFETS (STP30NF10) that I am about to use for the I.D. The package was marked (very dimly)as P30NF10. Note the missing "ST". I also just purchased a batch of low-cost HCPL-3120 gate drivers (to switch large IGBt's) which, IIRC, a while back were somewhat hard to find and quite expensive. Similarly, they are dimly marked only as "3120". I haven't used them yet, but the IGBT's are going to be switching 1200v at several hundred amps--now I'm worried!
Wolfram
Tue Mar 24 2015, 11:14AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Stick to the topic guys, this thread is about RateReducer's induction heater.

Great job on the heater RateReducer, it looks very solid. Do you control power by detuning? I notice the videos have the same titles as mine in my induction heater thread, is this by chance or intentional? smile

RateReducer
Fri Mar 27 2015, 09:48AM
RateReducer Registered Member #4603 Joined: Wed Apr 25 2012, 07:33PM
Thanks, Wolfram.
I have no power control - just an inrush current limiter ^^

Oh i did not notice that... Just by chance.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: