Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tablet

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Andy
Mon Feb 03 2014, 10:51PM Print
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
I'm planning on making a tablet with a multimeter and oscilloscope built in, found that mucking around with electronics without testing tools you don't get there far. The tablet will have a basic OS with the software doing the heavy lifting.

I've order a PicKit3 to program picmx110f016b which is a 32bit PicMicro with a 10bit analog to digital converter. I've allready got the pics.
Drawing up a test multimeter circuit, about to send it away to this crowd Link2 it should be $85nz for one, this is just for experiments and to get the programing sused.
Parts on hand 10 hex inverters, 6 mosfets IRF540N, will have to order some caps and resistors.
Have to get a LCD screen to display the results, witch should plug into the circuit.

This is going to be a slow project.
Andy
Mon Feb 03 2014, 10:51PM

1391573507 4266 FT1630 Tappy

This is going to be the layout.
At the top there is a magnetic and electric field sensor for input, which will supply input for the current data, picking up signal radiated by the antennas, to detect maybe underground cables, measure voltage from a stand off, or what ever function software wants to do with the input.
Below that is the multimeter and scope, which I'll work on first, it will have voltage,frequency,wave form,inductance and capacitance, it will be able to get data from the rf module.
To the left is a high voltage source connected to the B&E sensor, for some reason from software.
The CPUs linkup the different modules, and run a OS.
To the right is the network module, things like ethernet/wifi/zigbee, with protocols for decoding etc for the cpu.
The bottom module high frequency, does all the well I don't know...

This is level 1, top level out of three, this has the multimeter and the B&E sensors. This has a couple of resonance filters, three cap phase shift for more accuracy, a cap and inductor series/parallel for finding out the sizes for caps and inductors. It has a group of inductors for detecting magnetic fields,and a electric field part. A voltage range of 30small steps and a total of 120volt.Added two ad converters at 16bit, they have a high frequency filter connected to one Pic which is connected to another with a slower(wider bandwidth), for Fourier wave in wave functions. I've got some room on this board, if anyone has a suggestion of what I can add, that as high voltage, I'm all hears.

file
1391895158 4266 FT1630 Cap
x
Edit, added noise cancellation , and another two efield sensors, place software frequency select(the transformers top right), the bottom Pic has connections display.

Gerber file

]gerber.zip[/file]
If you are going to use the gerber file, you might want to check that all holes are there, and the clerances, when the test PCB arrives, will find out weather the design could work

Level one should be done, when the test PCB arrives, will start coding, I'm trying to make it so the hardware kitchen sink is in there and the software from the OS mixes and matches different parts to make some function, Looking into running code from RAM, each Pic will have small functions that code from RAM combines.

The 2 level is the CPUs/network breakout boards and the battery. The 3 level is the high frequency generator and signal processing.

Version two of the multimeter, replace the other Pic with this one Link2 Its giving more space on the board and has a fast clock speed, the V3 will probable have more cap/inductor parts to select a large distance range when used with the e-senses.

1392109329 4266 FT1630 Cap

This should be the final version, added vias on the top/bottom connection and just a couple of changes, the Pic on the far right will be connected to LCD for tests, but the CPU for the final thing.
Theres just one thing about the design I'm unsure, it say in the manuals that the MCLR line should have a cap on it because of the frequency it operates at, but most of the other Pic range does, you might want to check if you use it like this.

1392283345 4266 FT1630 Cap

]gerber.zip[/file]
Andy
Mon Feb 03 2014, 10:52PM
Source

Will update as I go along and learn some, this should sample once, the code at the top of the for loop, checks the value of the hex inverter lines, to work out multiples of 3.5volt(3.5/7/10.5/14v), grabs a sample, then stores it to compare against a peak value, which will get passed to a LCD, it will also workout the waveforms, how long it stayed at the peak, before getting close to zero(0.5%+-), and from peak to zero back to peak, and workout from the timing of code what the frequency is)

Will post the code in zip files, incremental , it pretty basic at the moment, the idea is make it the CPU level sends commands to the level1 section which allows the device to be programed at run time, to make it easily hackable, it will have a hardcoded program which it can fall back to.

Revsion 3, I've manged to slow a 200mhz chip down to about 1mhz cheesey , I'v still got to write high level functions, which should allow the speed to go back up, has a basic program of what it should be like.

]level1.zip[/file]

Revsion 2,Cleaned it up, it now has mov/lea/adc/add/and/or/sub/mul/div/xor
Needs jump table at the start to speed up jumping to the right opcode.
RV2.0

]level1.zip[/file]

Andy
Mon Feb 03 2014, 10:54PM
Multimeter
Parts
2 hexinverters Link2
6 Mosfets IRF540N(80volt) Link2
7 1Mohm resistor Link2
2 0.1uF caps Link2
1 LCD Link2
1 voltage reference Link2
1 28pin socket Link2
1 10kohm resistor Link2
Dimensions 105mm*85mm
1 470ohm resistor Link2
3 diodes Link2

1391497226 4266 FT1630 Tap

The above one won't work with dc. Just for testing to get the programing sorted.
Extra parts
Mosfet driver Link2
Voltage reg 3.3volt 500mA Link2
Inductors Link2 Link2
AD converter Link2
Capactors Link2
Andy
The Pickit 3 arrived, unlike the Pickit 2 can't replace the chip and reprogram another chip, and my test board has got the interface for that as well, at least will see how well Eagle to PCB turns out, and if the schematics above will come out right.
Ordered the screen, will test it on the demo board from the kit(PIC18f45k20), It has a adc and enough ports for a parallel setup, should beadle to test the screen in 6 days.

They did a good job of the PCB, sent two for $120, I think I stuffed up on selecting the size of the Pic thought. Should be all good to send a larger schematic away when finished. Link2

1392239606 4266 FT1630 P1000338

1392239606 4266 FT1630 P1000339

1391497226 4266 FT1630 Tap

The TFT display arrived, putting it in storage, will be taking a break from this project for a couple of months, to get my business setup.

1392967853 4266 FT1630 P1000342

1392967853 4266 FT1630 P1000343
Andy
Shrad
Tue Feb 04 2014, 06:52AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I have an explorer16 board with pic32MX360 and pic 24fj PIMs for sale, please PM me is interested

integrated pic18F4550 has been flashed with pickit2 firmware and is programming and debugging all the supported devices of pickit2

all you have to do for LCD support is either add a graphical extension, or exploit the existing connection

what I'd do is use a standard serial programmed LCD panel with built in controller and serial touchpad though

please send me a PM if interested, I can get you some things to start up with

this pic32MX360 has USB OTG device and host and heaps of functions at 80Mhz and would easily fulfill requirements for something like android or µclinux
Sulaiman
Tue Feb 04 2014, 03:05PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
just about every project that I had not put in an enclosure with decent terminals etc. has ended up re-cycled or lost.

Aren't there loads of little uC boards on eBay for most requirements?
If you are considering selling a multimeter-type thing,
consider safety isolation VERY CAREFULLY !
Andy
Tue Feb 04 2014, 05:58PM
I was thinking about having a rectangle shape with "u" shape connection on the ends for people to put there hand in between, so they can use it one handed.Once the tests were done, was going to put expandable form in there, with the idea the case can be dropped from the roof of a building and still work.

What plastic type would you use?

Don't know much about uC boards, I'm guessing there would be something like this out there. Planning on having more than just the multimeter, hopefully have space to put alot of stuff the trades would use, electrician,cabling technician,surveyor.

Cheers
Andy
Fri Feb 07 2014, 06:52PM
I'm planing on installing a LCD, I've got this one I'll like, but the connection is SMD, what do you need to do to join this to a PCB, I don't know were to start with SMD soldering.

Thanks

Link2
Link2
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: