Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A Buck Current-fed Push-Pull Converter

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Goodchild
Wed Jan 15 2014, 03:25PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Finn, great project! I did have a question though, you mention that you fab your own PCBs. I noticed that you have vias on your board, how did you yet them to plate threw to the other side of the board for electrical connectivity?

I'm also glad to see you back into electronics, you are too good not to be!

All the best,
Eric
Finn Hammer
Wed Jan 15 2014, 08:06PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Thank you for your kind words, Eric

The vias are tiny copper tube rivets, which are supposed to work even without soldering them in, I don´t trust it without solder though.

(picture 1,2)

1389812908 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2893 1389812908 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2894

I did a bit of work on the converter today. This first picture shows the gate waveform on the 2 push-pull transistors, and the overlap that is important in order to maintain a current path for the buck inductor.

(picture 3)

1389812978 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2887
In the next picture, I have installed 10ohms resistors from buck inductor to drains of push-pull transistors, so that I can inspect switching behaviour under an ideal load. This test checks out as it should.

(picture 4)
1389813317 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2888

In this picture, a zoom in on the switching period, reveals that the 2 switches share current during switching.

(picture 5)
1389813317 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2889

At this point I feel it is time to attach a transformer to the converter, and why not use the one I want to use in the final project. The core is the big UU from Magnetics, which at 100kHz and 37.5 volts per turn are driven at 0.15 Tesla, which is a fair loss limited flux density.
The reason for using such an oversized core is the high volt/turn ratio, enabling a 10kV secondary winding with only 266 turns. The associated low winding capacitance should make it possible to create a 10kV transformer at 100kHz. Anyway, along these lines are my assumptions.
For now, however, I am satisfied with a transformer that will support 70volt in, and out, so a nice 1:1:1 winding stack, with 2 turns of copper strip was wound:

(picture 6,7,8,9)

First turn is prepared.          Mylar brought around.          First turn completed.         The finished article.
1389814220 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2895 1389814220 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2896 1389814220 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2897 1389814220 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2898

The secondary is sandwiched between push pull primarys, so I expected a nice, close to ideal transformer action.

Here in the next picture, the transformer has been wired into the circuit, and the load resistor is in place too:

(picture 10)

1389814976 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2899

So what do I get from my effort:

(picture 11)

1389815066 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2900

This is not the waveform I expected! I see transformer action, there is symmerty around x-axis, but the signals were supposed to show the buck inductor current, just like in (picture 4) above, but with the current waveforms flipped around x-axis.

In a desparate attempt to sort of harmonize the machanical ratio of buck inductor and transformer, I wound a quick and dirty tranny on an old gate transformer, a big one, and down at 12.5kHz, managed to get something that looked right, but it is not:

(picture 12,13)

1389815696 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2902 1389815696 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 2903

I am transferring power, because the load resistor gets smoking hot, if I go for it, but why on earth does the big transformer not transfer the waveform as expected?

Anyway, the palace is still standing, so not all is bad.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Thomas W
Wed Jan 15 2014, 08:46PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
Wow! very nice work, im curious, did you use any referances for calculating the transformer information, and if so, would you be willing to provide where you got the calculations?

Im seeing some great work here, with some luck i may get round to messing with some of these topologys now ive fixed my lovely 0-72V 0-20A SMPS power supply

Keep up with the good work!
Finn Hammer
Wed Jan 15 2014, 10:00PM
__=|(:3)-|--{__ wrote ...

Wow! very nice work, im curious, did you use any referances for calculating the transformer information, and if so, would you be willing to provide where you got the calculations?

Tom,
Yes, the ability to calculate number of turns on a transformer is an important one, so read the article linked below, it is all in there under transformer calculations. Be aware that it is in CGS units, so flux density is in gauss etc. Ferrites are are used over a vast range of frequencies, so different rules apply, with regard to flux density in the core. Whereas in an iron core for 50Hz operation, you would drive it close to saturation as you dare, this does only apply for ferrites untill 20kHz. Above 20kHz, the losses get so big that flux density has to be lowered in order to keep the core cool. So although the power ferrites saturate around 0.3-0.4Tesla, they are rarely driven beyond 0.15 T @ 100kHz, 0.1 T @ 300kHz and 0.05 t @ mHz. The phrase you will meet is that the ferrites are flux density limited up to 20kHz, beyond that they are loss limited.
i hope you will pick up on transformers, I know I have had a lot of satisfaction (and frustrations) working with them..

Link2

Also, over at Texas Instruments, there are some good PDF´s from Lloyd Dixon, look for *slupxxx.pdf:* there are quite a lot of them, and they are all you need.
Link2

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Thomas W
Wed Jan 15 2014, 11:10PM
Huge thanks for the info, Finn, i will read though the TI ones tommorow (just finished reading the Magnetics Inc one.

I intend to have a play around with this stuff tommorow, going to contact a local company that winds transformers and buy some ferrites + bobbins off him, mabye some copper strips too :)

Thanks again,
looking forward to see more awesome from Denmark!
Finn Hammer
Sat Jan 18 2014, 12:20PM
It is amazing how a lack of experience can make things look irrepairaple wrong, and then after much pondering, and methodic fault finding, the problem suddenly disappears without a trace.
Today I went trough one of these cycles. An abundance of noise kept an amplifier from behaving, and after dismantling the circuit, and putting it back together, the problem disappeared with out a clue, go figure.
The object of my focus was the current sense amplifier, if you look at the block diagram below, you see it at pin 7,8 and 9.

1390047580 205 FT159820 Udklip

This amplifier is strapped across the current sense resistor on the back of the board, and this resistor is 0.1 ohms. This resistor sits in the ground return path of the converter, so for every ampere that is passed trough the load, 0.1 V is generated across it.

The output of this current sense amplifier is connected internally to a comparator that has the ability to terminate the gate signal to the buck switch, cycle by cycle. This happens when the output of the current sense amplifier rises to 3V, since this is the reference on the other input of the comparator. This feature enables the controller to perform cycle by cycle current limiting and thus provide protection of the buck transistor.

To make the amplifier reach 3 volts, a corresponding amplification factor has to be established, relating to the current that should trigger current limit, and since the voltage that is fed to the input is of negative polarity, the amplifier has to be configured as an inverting one.

With 0.1v/amp, and a (for now) desire to perform current limiting at 2A, the amplification should be 3/0.2=15 times.
This is acheived by using a 1K input resistor to the negative pin, grounding the positive pin, and strapping a 15K resistor from output pin to negative pin.

I have little experience with opamps, and frankly, I took for granted that the amplified output would trace the input, with complete fidelity, only with magnified amplitude. This is not so, compared to the input, the waveshape is distorted, but ok, the levels seem to match, so in the end things may work out. This is something that takes some getting used to, and perhaps I should try to breadboard a couple of different opamps to see how they perform. I made a precision rectifier once, and seem to recall that it takes some pretty expensive opamps to maintain fidelity on the output side, anyway:

In the little video I am going to show how the current sense amplifier works, in conjunction with the current sense resistor, and the current limit comparator, to terminate the output to the buck transistor. Another way to look at it is to say that the duty cycle is adjusted on the fly.

Interesting to see, how at first, only one of the cycles is adjusted, probably due to a slight difference in the size of the load resistors:

The bottom trace shows voltage at switching node, at 10V/div
The yellow trace at the top, shows inverted, the buck inductor curent at 1A/div

Finally, the cyan trace in the middle, shows output of current sense amplifier, at 1V/div.

Notice how, when it reaches 3 volts, the duty cycle is starting to reduce, and how this at first only happens at every second cycle, due to minor difference in load at each push pull transistor.

Link2

This is a wonderfull method to limit current, because it can go on forever without stressing any components, instead it relies on operation as usual, only with slightly altered timing.
This output of the current sense amplifier sets the final brute force protection in a worst case scenario, but the same signal is also used, at lower current levels, to perform average current limiting, in conjunction with the current error amplifier and the voltage error ampifier, the latter of which will be the focus for my next installment to this series.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Finn Hammer
Tue Jan 21 2014, 09:47PM
Today I closed the loop of the buck stage, and it worked.
It is the first time in my life I have ever closed a feedback loop, and it opens up to a lot of new possibilities, so I guess if I had been into the whole alcohol thing, it would have been Champagne!, but since I am not, I went to my Yoga class.

Anyway, The voltage error amplifier is the topic of todays progressive step, but let me first recover what has been acheived up to now. The buck stage has been built and it functions to a point where I can controll the duty cycle, and thus the output voltage as a percentage of input voltage, and the 2 push pull switches work too. I have seen that the duty cycle is controlled by a positive voltage of 0-2.6V and that the highest voltage produces the highest duty cycle.

In order to controll the duty cycle with the voltage error amp, it is therefore necessary for this amp to start out with an output that is high, and this output should then decrease, when the controll voltage from the voltage divider across the output, rises above the voltage reference delivered from the chip.

In short, the voltage error amp should be configured as an inverting differential amplifier.

I have grown accustomed to being cautious before hooking something permanently up, so I breadboarded the intended layout to see if it functioned as desired, and it did. I have become fond of the small and inexpensive chinese powersupplies with digital controll, because they are so handy down on the bench, right next to the circuit. And did I mention that they are Inexpensive Link2

1390338253 205 FT159820 Img 13921

With a 30k resistor from output to inverting input, where the voltage divider is also attached, the voltage out decreased from 2.6V to0V with an increase of Vin of only 0.14V. This means that the duty cycle would drop from full to zero if the voltage (at the measuring node) would overshoot with 0.14 volts.

This looked good, so I mounted the resistors on the board, turned up the voltage and saw that it worked.

In the video, you see the switching node voltage as the Magenta trace at the bottom, you will see it rise up as it follows the input voltage.
At the same time, the green trace above it shows the output voltage also rising.

At some point the output voltage stops rising, and at the same time, although the switch node voltage continues to rise, the duty cycle starts decreasing. This demonstrates, that the voltage error amplifier has taken over the controll of the duty cycle.

Enjoy: Link2

So where to go from now? I guess I need to check the stability of the loop by applying step loads, and this is probably what I will doo next.
There is also the whole thing about current mode controll, which is supposed to take over controll from the voltage loop at some point when the supply approaches full power, but I can't quite grasp what it is good for.
Perhaps if I have the attention of the more proficient members of this society, they will step in with advice on the virtues of current mode controll?

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Thomas W
Tue Jan 21 2014, 10:19PM
Very nice, excellent work there Finn!

My buck-boost ICs/ PMW controllers and such arrived to day, so in the next week or so i may have a few pictures up in a thread.

Thanks for the insperation to get a move on with my own electronics!

Those powersupplys look rather nice, a bit too pricy for me, i think i could probibly, when i become more competent, build a few of those at a lower price each.

Keep up the good work!

TCW!
Finn Hammer
Sat Feb 15 2014, 11:36PM
At the present, the converter is able to meet a part of the design criteria, and that is putting out 31V across 4.7 ohm = 204W, close enough to the 200W I am aiming at.

In order to be able to measure this, I built this fan cooled resistive load:

1392505175 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 3069

It consists of, apart from the heatsink and fan, 4pcs. DSEI60-06 Ultrafast FRED diodes in a bridge, 7500µF of smoothing caps and 4.7Ohms of load resistors, rated at 50W each. With this, I can load the supply continously at full output.

The transformer has 2 turns on both push pull windings, as well as the middle one, the output winding, and these windings are made of 10mm wide 0.3mm thick foil. I cannot think of any way to get better coupling between windings than that.

1392505588 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 3060

Still, I am getting some awfull turn off spikes from the transformer. as seen here at reduced input, just to make room for the full event on the scope:

1392505774 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 3061

That overshoot is 5 times the amplitude.

I can reduce it with a 10nF/10ohm snubber:

1392505921 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 3062

But this happens at the expense of a lot of heat: The top trace is the current trough the snubber, at this reduced power level the peaks are 1 amp, at full output, it amounts to 4 amps.

As measured with a tek type 134/P6021 current probe:

1392506095 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 3066 1392506095 205 FT159820 Tn Dsc 3067

Transistors are running hot, snubbers are running hot, ferrite is getting warm, as expected, but I am not having the impression that this is an efficient supply. The buck stage is ok, but the push.pull stage is not. There is too much energy in those oscillations.
I can hardly believe that this is

The Magnitude of the turn off spike is baffeling me, and I hereby hope for help to solve it.

1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: