Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Audio mod ZVS?

Move Thread LAN_403
U4R1A
Sat Mar 23 2013, 07:17PM Print
U4R1A Registered Member #3505 Joined: Sun Dec 12 2010, 06:03AM
I got bored and threw together a little ZVS driver. I've seen online in several places that people have audio modulated these guys in varies ways. Of the ones that I have seen there was one that did not require a separate amp and implemented the audio by biasing a mosfet in series with the (+) rail. I've tried to replicate this in a few different ways but I'm getting zero audio output. Would anyone happen to have a schematic laying around that they would like to share or some pointers? Thanks in advance.

-Justin
Sigurthr
Sat Mar 23 2013, 09:47PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
The way you are attempting with the mosfet in series with the DC rail basically makes the mosfet a Class-A amplifier. Having the mosfet on the + DC rail requires that your audio source is isolated from any common power source that the ZVS might be on, as the mosfet's Source pin will be at the DC bus voltage (minus Vdrop across the Rds). Class-A amps at best waste half the power going in to them as heat.

Aside from that the audio signal you are pumping in to the gate has to have a relatively large Vp-p swing to move the Rds of the mosfet between just before full ON and conduction threshold. Mosfets require about 10V between Gate and Source to fully turn on and generally have a threshold near 4V. So, you would want an audio signal of around +- 2.5V (5Vp-p) and a voltage divider set up to bias the Gate around 7V. This means on full modulation upswing you would see 9.5V between Gate and Source and on full modulation downswing you would see 4.5V between Gate and Source. You're probably not getting any audio out because you either don't have the gate biased properly or you are feeding it the 100mVp-p signal most line level or headphone out jacks deliver.

It's a pretty simple circuit actually, but terribly inefficent and requires a ton of cooling on the Class-A amp. My advice is to place the mosfet in series with the negative line of the ZVS's input (Mosfet Drain to ZVS Neg DC input, Mosfet Source to power supply negative). This way the audio source doesn't need to be isolated.
Microwatt
Sun Mar 24 2013, 01:41AM
Microwatt Registered Member #3282 Joined: Wed Oct 06 2010, 05:01PM
i think i have an idea on how to do it. you need a VCO chip with the gates of the mosfet. the audio feeds into the vco and varies the frequency vs the audio voltage.
Ben Solon
Mon Mar 25 2013, 01:04PM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
There are two ways to do it: am and fm. With fm you might as well us a oscillator based driver, because as soon as you change the frequency in the zvs without changing the lc section zvs becomes pointless and inefficient. Which means the only way to do it becomes am. The class a amp method is really no different than changing the series resistance to the zvs to drop a voltage preportioal to the audio signal. I would recommend something along the lines of a class d amp for bus modulation at this power level. The amp through the transformer is all fine and well, but you can only push a transformer so far, a bridge of Fets or igbts and a wire are much more rugged.
U4R1A
Tue Mar 26 2013, 03:36AM
U4R1A Registered Member #3505 Joined: Sun Dec 12 2010, 06:03AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I got it working as a class A amp but the power loss makes the design highly inefficient. Ben I may end up trying a class D but what about a class AB? Seems like a good cheap compromise. It there any major issues with the AB amp?
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Mar 26 2013, 08:28AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
The negative rail of the ZVS driver can simply be PWM-ed by a MOSFET, but you need to put a fast diode from the FET's drain to the positive supply rail and bypass the supply with a cap close to the transistor-diode combo. You might then need to use a dedicated supply for the gates, or PWM the positive rail, but this needs isolated signal to the gate of the FET.
Ben Solon
Tue Mar 26 2013, 12:32PM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
U4R1A wrote ...

Thanks for the suggestions. I got it working as a class A amp but the power loss makes the design highly inefficient. Ben I may end up trying a class D but what about a class AB? Seems like a good cheap compromise. It there any major issues with the AB amp?

yes, it would work, but in the end you don't get much more efficiency. you're still relying on bjt's dropping power over themselves to modulate the remainder of the power to the zvs. the main benefit of ab over a and b is greatly reduced zero cross distortion.

you need a low impedance analog voltage to supply the rail of the zvs, which imo can only be achieved by class d due to the saturation of the switching devices. as long as they're linear you're eating huge chunks of power just to get your modulated bus.

Dr. Dark Current:

unfiltered pwm won't work, because it would interrupt the oscillation of the mazzilli driver itself. Once you pass over from PWM to filtered pwm, you're left with class d or synchronous buck. chopping up the power supplied to the circuit won't help, you need a low impedance analog voltage.
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Mar 26 2013, 01:21PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
ben123324: It doesn't interrupt the oscillation, the series inductor smooths out the current (it must be sufficiently big of course, which it should be anyway for efficient operation of the oscillator). Of course you need to maintain the supply for the gates, so either PWM the positive rail or make a dedicated isolated supply for the gates.
Sigurthr
Tue Mar 26 2013, 03:48PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
I still think the amplifier and series transformer is the simplest and most fool proof way to go. Rewind a mot and grab a cheap $40 motorcycle amp.

Here is mine in operation: Link2
note: still uploading the video at time of edit, so it may take a while to show up.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: