Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rf Power supply @ 4kV

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Noah Hoppis
Tue Mar 12 2013, 04:26AM Print
Noah Hoppis Registered Member #10072 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2013, 05:12AM
I need a power supply with two 811a triodes (or one) that gives about 4kV. It is going to be driving the dee(s) in a cyclotron, so no real current will be spent. The requirements are that one dee is + charged then the other dee is + charged (the charge could be negative, more info on cyclotrons). There could only be one dee but it would need to be + then - in rapid succession.This is a bit of a different animal than amps I've dealt with in the past. Any help would be greatly appreciated. i have attached a PDF of the supply so far...
]cyclotron-supply.pdf[/file]
Ash Small
Tue Mar 12 2013, 10:14AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Hi Noah, It's good to see you here.

I'd suggest either using a microwave oven transformer, with the doubler circuit (microwave oven capacitor and microwave oven diode), to give you the 4kV (you could use the power supply from an inverter type microwave oven instead, but these circuits are more tricky to 'hack')

I'm working on a circuit that uses one of these setups to charge a capacitor to 4kV, then using a valve (vacuum tube) to power a magnetron for my ion source (to give more control over the magnetron, a bit more complex than the 'simple' circuit I've outlined on Cyclotrons.net). If you are just powering the 'D's' in a cyclotron, I imagine this setup would give plenty of current for your requirements.

I hope this suggestion helps.

EDIT: another possibly better option, which I think is used with some cyclotrons, is to add another capacitor to increase the capacitance of the 'D's' (add the capacitor in parallel), and add an inductor to form a resonant 20MHz circuit.

(I think synchro-cylcotrons utilise a variable capacitor, so that the frequency can be increased as the particles accelerate.)

I'll look for some links later.

Steve Conner
Tue Mar 12 2013, 10:51AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Look at ham radio linear amps for inspiration, it is essentially the same thing.
Proud Mary
Tue Mar 12 2013, 12:17PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Below is a push-pull Colpitts power oscillator, and is a tested design for driving a 50 kW 120 kHz full-wave C&W multiplier. I know very little about cyclotrons, and their needs, but I'd guess that a circuit on these lines would be used for driving the Dees in a bare bones design. The inductance of the RFCs, the values of C, and the push-pull transformer properties selected will depend on the operating frequency required.

I see from the 811A datasheet that it has an absolute maximum anode voltage of 1500V when used as an RF amplifier/Oscillator. Clearly, it will be destroyed quickly if you try to run it at 4 kV.

The costs and labour of building a cyclotron are likely to be such that it would be a completely false economy to try and build one using microwave oven transformers and incorrectly specified valves. With all that pumping down, vacuum instruments, shielding, dosimetry, and all the rest it will probably cost as much as a new car, and very much more if you live in a country where the design, construction, and operation of particle accelerators is controlled and regulated by law.

Pull Power Oscillator
Ash Small
Tue Mar 12 2013, 01:04PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Below is a push-pull power oscillator, and is a tested design for driving a 50 kW 120 kHz full-wave C&W multiplier. I know very little about cyclotrons, and their needs, but I'd guess that a circuit on these lines would be used for driving the Dees in a bare bones design. The inductance of the RFCs, the values of C, and the push-pull transformer properties selected will depend on the operating frequency required.

I see from the 811A datasheet that it has an absolute maximum anode voltage of 1500V when used as an RF amplifier/Oscillator. Clearly, it will be destroyed quickly if you try to run it at 4 kV.

The costs and labour of building a cyclotron are likely to be such that it would be a completely false economy to try and build one using microwave oven transformers and incorrectly specified valves. With all that pumping down, vacuum instruments, shielding, dosimetry, and all the rest it will probably cost as much as a new car, and very much more if you live in a country where the design, construction, and operation of particle accelerators is controlled and regulated by law.

Pull Power Oscillator

I was wondering if the 811a was up to the job, but thought I'd leave that bit to someone more knowlegable than myself on these matters. I believe my own research into 4kV+ valves has brought up a few, I think one is the GU5B, from memory.

I understand that (in UK, at least), any device that accelerates particles to an energy of less that 1MeV does not require licensing.

The only 'expensive' part of a cyclotron is the magnet, vacuum systems can be put together quite cheaply, especially if you use a diff. pump. Guages can be obtained cheaply (I've at least a dozen assorted ones, along with some controllers, etc, and I've only spent a total of a few hundred pounds on my system)

If an MOT supplies sufficient current, and they can supply several hundred watts even after losses, and you need 4kV, why not use the 4kV supply from a microwave oven? It leaves more of your budget to spend on the magnet. (and suitable valves/tubes)

(I understand, from reading a thread on another forum, that Noah is considering winding his own coils for the magnet, and that he can obtain copper for scrap value. As most of the expense is the copper for the coils and cooling pipes, this could well end up being the cheapest ~8" cyclotron ever built.)
Proud Mary
Tue Mar 12 2013, 01:50PM
Yes, I believe there is a good choice of Soviet-era RF power triodes to be had on ebay, Mr Ash.

As for what you call licensing, in the European Union particle accelerators of less than 1 MeV do not require prior design approval, site inspection &c. before construction can begin.
Ash Small
Tue Mar 12 2013, 02:15PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

As for what you call licensing, in the European Union particle accelerators of less than 1 MeV do not require prior design approval, site inspection &c. before construction can begin.

The type of cyclotron Noah is considering building is 'portable', although you'd need lifting gear to move the magnet, and maybe the 'D's'. At these power levels, cyclotron radiation/bremhstrallung radiation is only an issue if you are accelerating electrons.
Noah Hoppis
Tue Mar 12 2013, 03:35PM
Yes the device would be fairly small, and I don't worry too much about radiation ( though it will be run remotely...). This is similar to a linear amplifier, and the design was so that I would have two outputs for the two dees but one would work for one dee, and I have been over doing it trying to get + and - signals. what would I do if I just used a GU5B? the 811a's would be out of phase and only amplifying one side of the wave, and thus only seeing 2000V. Anybody have a design for a GU5B single tube linear amp?
Proud Mary
Tue Mar 12 2013, 05:18PM
Why does it have to be a linear amplifier, Noah? I would have expected Class C for CW.
Noah Hoppis
Tue Mar 12 2013, 07:00PM
it doesn't have to be a linear amp; to be frank I know very little about amplifiers, only that triodes could be used. all I know about amps came from the feedback circiut in my recently constructed 572b VTTC. Really I just need help finding a simple HV amp.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: