All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Have I just built a flyback transformer, and how can I stop it arcing internally?

Move Thread LAN_403
TBJ
Tue Mar 05 2013, 09:30PM Print
TBJ Registered Member #5374 Joined: Mon Jun 18 2012, 06:54PM
Messing about in the lab tonight, I came up with this transformer as a high voltage power source for my capacitive wireless power experiments.

83UGiekl
TISSP2Il

I broke the toroid apart to wind the secondary winding (many turns of .15mm) and primary, then glued it back together, so I guess it has an air gap.

Seems to generate a few KV, when it's not arcing internally.

I'm driving it with a variant of the ZVS driver.

Could this be considered to be a flyback transformer? How do people stop small HV transformers like this from arcing internally - any tips?

Cheers

R

edit: resized picture and added another picture
Yandersen
Tue Mar 05 2013, 10:01PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
If it is a HV flyback with primary and secondary, protect primary with TVS diode to limit the voltage spike from here. Say, critical voltage over secondary is 10kV and turn ratio is 1:100. Then put 100V rated bidirectional TVS diode in parallel with primary. Heatsink required.
TBJ
Tue Mar 05 2013, 10:12PM
TBJ Registered Member #5374 Joined: Mon Jun 18 2012, 06:54PM
I wasn't sure if it was immediately obvious what the transformer was in the picture, so I added another one - it's the little green toroid. You can just about see a bit of arcing in the top picture.

Is it not because my secondary winding only has one layer? Should I use more layers and insulate between them?
Yandersen
Tue Mar 05 2013, 10:28PM
Here is a secondary I wound once with 0.15mm wire over the same kind of toroid:

1362522493 6944 FT151450 Dscf0133

It is a part of 800V flyback converter, so did not need to insulate anything except that i put a tape over it before winding the primary - the epoxy coating, as datasheet says, is 1000V guaranteed. If you get kV, then you need to add additional insulation between core and secondary. If you don't have an output cap and feedback Vctrl circuit, then your voltage spike is not limited by anything and you will end up either with the arc over secondary or blown mosfet.
To wind easily, make a cut through the toroid using the diamond disc and rotary tool. For each turn you add pass a wire through the gap. Flyback need an air gap anyway. The one on a picture was wound without the gap initially - it was added later. But I had many others wound through the gap.
paris
Wed Mar 06 2013, 12:46AM
paris Registered Member #3042 Joined: Wed Jul 28 2010, 12:36AM
^^ thats cool ,I thought about it but never did it because I thought they were too brittle to cut. I got the ferrite non conductive ones, I thought the colored ones were conductive
Yandersen
Wed Mar 06 2013, 04:33AM
They all somewhat conductive - for HV it is surely an issue, even low permeability ones. So additional few layers of insulating tape over the core before winding is a right idea.
Diamond disc (~$10) goes through ferrite like a knife through the butter and I cut half a dozen of cores without problems - disc is still perfect. Here is how it looks like:
1362544386 6944 FT151450 Dscf0175

Be careful with cut cores though - if dropped on hard surface, surely brakes on halves.
StormInABottle
Wed Mar 06 2013, 07:19AM
StormInABottle Registered Member #9252 Joined: Fri Jan 04 2013, 06:27AM
Try putting it in oil. If you hate oil. Then try paraffin. If no. Then use another
Steve Conner
Wed Mar 06 2013, 01:33PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Toroids are a bad idea for really high voltage transformers. Too much ferrite, not enough winding window to cram in the insulation you need. Try an E core set with a plastic bobbin.

Technically, a flyback transformer would be any transformer used in a flyback converter. But in order for a transformer to work in a flyback circuit, the magnetic circuit must be designed to store energy. Either ferrite with an air gap, or iron powder or MPP.

You're using a ZVS, which is a forward converter, not a flyback converter.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: