Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Avalanche (41)

Next birthdays
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Zvs driven ignition coil.

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
TwirlyWhirly555
Tue Mar 05 2013, 03:23PM
TwirlyWhirly555 Registered Member #4104 Joined: Fri Sept 23 2011, 06:54PM
^^ , so the same 12 volt battery that could supply 200 amps is now a 2400 watt battery ?? ,

batterys arent messured in watts , they are messure in amp hours , as a battery could supply 12 Volts at 10 A , 50 A or 200 A . The " watts " your are pulling may change , but the Ah capcity of the battery will remain the same .

Or have a just got that all wrong ? ..

Whats Frzz do igniton coils like to be run at ?
Platinum
Tue Mar 05 2013, 03:46PM
Platinum Registered Member #3926 Joined: Fri Jun 03 2011, 08:32PM
ArcingNoob, Ignition coils aren't really high power transformers. And like I said you don't measure batteries in watts.
StormInABottle
Tue Mar 05 2013, 04:03PM
StormInABottle Registered Member #9252 Joined: Fri Jan 04 2013, 06:27AM
I can squeeze a 600 watts of continious torture for about 5 mins with out failure? Yes? Excellent

Twirly. Thanks for the explanation :o :P. Anyway the insanity of the internet told me that 15 kh is near the maximum. And that they like from 100s of herts to thousands. But tho i am running them at thier high freq range Again :P Anyone who has a zvs driver and a ignition coil handy please do me a little test and post a video on youtube :P I don't have a ignition coil handy :(
Ash Small
Tue Mar 05 2013, 07:20PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Iggy=ignition coil.

A quick calculation suggests ~500Hz for a V8 ignition coil. The core will limit the frequency, and stray capacitance/leakage inductance may also do the same. It will operate at higher frequencies, but it won't be efficient. As I previously stated, iggy's are designed to run in flyback mode, not push-pull.

Removing the core, as per the link I posted, will allow you to run it at higher frequencies. You will also be able to push more power through it because the core won't saturate. With no core the coupling will be looser, though, although, as the link states, it's possible to get 250kV out of it (and Terry Fritz knows what he's talking about, he's very well respected on these forums).

Personally I think, if you want big arcs without spending money, you should get a few flyback cores, put them side by side, and wind your own primary and secondary coils around them. The power you can put through a cored transformer depends on the cross-sectional area of the core.

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I am in the process of researching and designing my own HV transformer.
StormInABottle
Tue Mar 05 2013, 08:34PM
I am okay with spending some 50 dollars on the transformer that i will drive. And the 250 kv is cool and all. And i try to respect all members here really. But the 250 kv won't have a single mili amp of current :(
Tho i always liked the idea of having a crazy high voltage that can produce some bizzare xrays and stuff but i need current. Some 100 mili amp ++++
Also instead of ufs. i would need to operate in maybe a thousand pf? Home made capacitors easily break a thousand pf And again. A home made transformer is the last of the last of the goddamn last choices. The classic cores i find in my flybacks have a tiny winding window.. With proper insulation i can fit 500 turns. which is not impressive. Anyway. So the core limits the freq. I can make the frequency lower by adding more capacitor. Problem solved. The dude who ran a iggy with zvs said he used 8 to 10 uf. Still if anyone has a zvs and a iggy handy please try :D
Ash Small
Tue Mar 05 2013, 11:05PM
Arcingnoob wrote ...

I am okay with spending some 50 dollars on the transformer that i will drive. And the 250 kv is cool and all. And i try to respect all members here really. But the 250 kv won't have a single mili amp of current :(
I didn't mean to imply you didn't respect him, I meant he has a lot more respect than people like me smile
Arcingnoob wrote ...

Tho i always liked the idea of having a crazy high voltage that can produce some bizzare xrays and stuff but i need current. Some 100 mili amp ++++
If you put three or four flyback cores together, you can push three or four times as many volts per turn, so 500 turns 'could' give 5-10kV (I think, if you push the Bmax), it will also give a lot of current (5kv@100mA is 500Watts, I think you could push at least 1000W through something like this, maybe more if you push it.)

Hopefully someone else will comment here, but I don't think I'm that far off the mark here.

As I said before, I'm still learning this stuff too.

If you decide to try this, remember it will be LETHAL if you have a mishap, so follow ALL the safety rules.
StormInABottle
Wed Mar 06 2013, 05:25AM
I need some 10kv plus. and more than a 100 ma. Your idea seem interesting. But for now. I will use cores that aren't broken. I have 2 . So 2 to go. Which i will gain through the history of destroying flybacks. And again. If anyone has a iggy handy. Try the crazy idea :P

And thanks alot ashsmall :D

If i use 4 cores. What happens if i wind 5+5 4 times. And parallel them all. And each one of the four draws the usual 10 to 13 amps. If i parallel 4 primaries. each draws 10 that means 40 amps. At 50 volts.
For those 50 volts i will use 10 atx power supplies. With thier ultra high current 5 volt regulated rails. And i might get really high curent output :P
Maybe the current drawn will divide evenly among them. Like in a bifilar winding. But with 4 different windings.

And if you open the core of a flyback. And remove airgaps. Then i can open the core of a iggy and remove the air gap
Ash Small
Thu Mar 07 2013, 02:40AM
Arcingnoob wrote ...

I need some 10kv plus. and more than a 100 ma. Your idea seem interesting. But for now. I will use cores that aren't broken. I have 2 . So 2 to go. Which i will gain through the history of destroying flybacks. And again. If anyone has a iggy handy. Try the crazy idea :P

And thanks alot ashsmall :D

If i use 4 cores. What happens if i wind 5+5 4 times. And parallel them all. And each one of the four draws the usual 10 to 13 amps. If i parallel 4 primaries. each draws 10 that means 40 amps. At 50 volts.
For those 50 volts i will use 10 atx power supplies. With thier ultra high current 5 volt regulated rails. And i might get really high curent output :P
Maybe the current drawn will divide evenly among them. Like in a bifilar winding. But with 4 different windings.

And if you open the core of a flyback. And remove airgaps. Then i can open the core of a iggy and remove the air gap
Why not just wind one 2+2 or 3+3 primary around all four flybacks?

I think Iggy's (the can type) just have a round bar as a core, but I've never taken one apart. I don't know whether the laminated core types have airgaps or not. I don't have one to hand, but I have one (GM) that I can pick up in a few weeks, when I get my lathe.
paris
Thu Mar 07 2013, 03:38AM
paris Registered Member #3042 Joined: Wed Jul 28 2010, 12:36AM
In all the old coils Ive found laminates , I think moderns have ferrite dont know for sure
pri and sec are connected , theres + and - and HV op lead connected to the core/laminates.
Ive wondered about nissan sky line coils = 1 on each sparkplug, they might be ferrite

Ive only found 1 that is short enough to fit on a FBT core , Im working myself up to soldering leads and stuff for a little some thing. at least I know theres no diodes in there but its paper insulation usually soaked in oil.

pri with yellow tape is on card board . to remove from can just pry back lip on top of can , its aluminium.

1362627522 3042 FT151387 E 002
CompWiz
Fri Apr 05 2013, 12:26AM
CompWiz Registered Member #1038 Joined: Mon Oct 01 2007, 08:02PM
I actually uploaded that video, I had to add a lot of capacitance to bring the frequency low enough for it to work. In hindsight I probably should have worked on optimizing the turns ratio on the flyback core. But I was only doing it to see if it would work at all. I think I had 6uF on it or so.

If I recall right, the coil was getting slightly warm, but the main problem was the corona discharge burning /everything/ as seen in the video. Went though liquid electrical tape like it wasn't even there.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: