Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The zvs is working

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
GrantX
Fri Feb 15 2013, 06:25AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Arcingnoob wrote ...

Please answer :3. The arcs start as big thick arcs and end as smaller arcs. at 32 volts input. once started i read normal voltages. Then i stretch that arc. Once it dies. the volts drops to 19 also the ceramics. always smoke now. what can i do. starting to run out of them

It sounds like the ceramic capacitors are being damaged slowly. They start out fine, but as they heat up they may lose some capacitance, or dielectric losses may increase (I think, I need a clarification from someone more experienced). Can you find a datasheet for the specific caps you are using?

Ceramic caps aren't recommended for a ZVS driver, film/foil polypropylene (MKP, FKP) caps are the ideal choice.
StormInABottle
Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:19AM
StormInABottle Registered Member #9252 Joined: Fri Jan 04 2013, 06:27AM
Uhh. The power supply is 2 1200 watts and 1 1000 watts power supply. Tho they are all diffferejt i will be getting number four today.also the last capacitor died. Any way to make ceramics not die
Platinum
Fri Feb 15 2013, 02:18PM
Platinum Registered Member #3926 Joined: Fri Jun 03 2011, 08:32PM
Arcingnoob wrote ...

Uhh. The power supply is 2 1200 watts and 1 1000 watts power supply. Tho they are all diffferejt i will be getting number four today.also the last capacitor died. Any way to make ceramics not die

Build the circuit properly.
StormInABottle
Fri Feb 15 2013, 03:10PM
Hello :P ceramics are not recommended anyway. but are the only thing i can get. The circuit is built properly
Ash Small
Fri Feb 15 2013, 04:53PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
You MAY get less heating if you use more lower value ceramics in parallel. Each capacitor will then have less current to 'deal with'.

You could also try a series/parallel array using the same value capacitors that you are using, eg four strings of four capacitors will have the same capacitance as one of the ones you are using, but the current will be 'shared' between them, so each will heat up much less.
StormInABottle
Fri Feb 15 2013, 06:21PM
I get nice results at 2 uf. I got 20 100 nf 400 volts ceramics. And they worked fine for like a longer min or two. Then all gave me one nice BIG explosion
Ash Small
Fri Feb 15 2013, 06:28PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
As others have suggested, can't you get some MKP's out of old TV's, computers, monitors, etc?
StormInABottle
Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:01PM
Well. Booth ways am out of munehs. Had some fun. Also discovered a nice secret about ceramics. If you use alligator clips to hold them. Then hold the metal pin and the body. Makes it last 5 mins more. I will see if i can get some moneys from mommy anyways those 5 mins. Did not have as much voltage drop turns out. If i start the zvs with the fbt sec shorted.i get drops. if not i can keep the voltage at 36. Also. My zvs specs are

irfp250, 490 ohm 40 watts cap. random inductor. 1n4007. 2 watt 10kohm 15 v half a watt zenner. And some 1 uf to 2 uf cap. and 5 +5 turns. Will that work if i crank it up to 50 volts. ? allllso. how can i stop a flyback diodes and the flyback itself from burning out. Some also explode. at 24 volts input. The flyback booms. While mosfets are bone cold
StormInABottle
Mon Feb 18 2013, 07:15PM
I will be pushing my zvs driver to 55 or 60 volts. You had the specs. also. The new weird flyback i bought. I got it because it is weird. gives some purple arcs. also i found a mmc cap. it still heats. but last ages longer. So can you guys give me the number codes. models. of the flybacks that held out the strongest and gave best results. I burnt out 2 expensive flybacks. Strongest and best results. And not something to burn in a few seconds. Note it will be a zvs. from the look of the power supply. Am pushing some nice atleast 400 watts. of energy. please answer :3.
Inducktion
Mon Feb 18 2013, 09:39PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Well firstly stop using IN4007's.... us UF4007's.

IN4007's good frequency range is up to 1khz I think. UF4007's are much higher, so they'll work a bit better.
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: