All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Calculating self-resonant frequency of HV Transformer?

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Sun Feb 10 2013, 11:22AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Tony Matt wrote ...

In a pancaque the 51th turn is wond on top of the 49th turn, the 52 turn is on top of the 48th turn ..........the 99th turn is on top of the first turn. ( the voltage between the 49 and 51 may be 56V only , between the 48th and 52th may be 96V and so and so )
if a layer of 50 turns is running at 28V per turn the total volt per layer will be 1400V ( between the first turn and the 50th turn)
Then the voltage between the first turn to the 51th turn will be 1428V,.... and the voltage between frst and the 100th will be 2800V ...Note that the 100th turn is laying on top of the first. So, the insulation between layers has to be sized to manage 2800V plus a safety factor.

I am planning on winding the 51st turn superjacent to the first turn. There is plenty of room in my secondary design to wind the first layer, then wind some insulation, then take the wire back to the start, then wind some more insulation, then start the second layer. This gives 1400V between any subjacent and superjacent turn. I believe others have said this also reduces inter-layer capacitance, as well as requiring less insulation.

Tony Matt wrote ...

Yes, the leakage dispersion inductance is a pain when you deal with hV transformer that requires big distance between the coils.
The the goal is to keep 100kV insulation between any pancake and primary, 100 kV between any pancake and core, 25 kV beween any two sequencial pancakes (if 4 pancakes are in the secondary).
As the secondary pancakes are in series and works as a uniique secondary coil the leakage inductance is not different in both arrangements.
But for construction, a unique primary simplifies the construction a lot.

A unique primary would simplify construction greatly, but the 'pie winding' method illustrated above is supposed to reduce leakage inductance by , I think, keeping all the flux within the windings. Unique primaries don't do this, apparently. The 2:4:4:2 arrangement of the primaries is supposed to equalise the flux between the three secondaries, as I understand it. I think it also reduces capacitance within the windings.

I wonder if winding two parallel primaries, one under the secondaries, and one around the secondaries would have any benefits over using just one, either under or over the secondaries?

It looks like I may have to wind a few different ones, and then measure resonance, etc.
Tony Matt
Sun Feb 10 2013, 02:35PM
Tony Matt Registered Member #3700 Joined: Sat Feb 19 2011, 12:59PM
Ash:
If you wind the 51st turn superjacent to the first turn the max inter layer voltage will be 1400V and save insulation asd space .

I never have try this, am affraid that in the end could be a trouble when the wire make the transposition from the 50 to 51th turn and will require more insulation....

As you want to wind and experiment a few different primaries the pancakes shall be self supported and rigid to allow be assembled and dissasembled several times.

Why not use circular bobin forms? Eliptical or oval forms are a nightmare to wind. Try to wind just one pancake to verify the dificulties. You may use kraft paper from liquor store, free....

Regards
Ash Small
Sun Feb 10 2013, 02:51PM
A circular bobbin won't fit in the 'window'. I'm using two sets of cores side by side to get the Bmax that I need.

I realise the difficulties involved in winding an eliptical form, but it's not really any more difficult than winding onto a square form. You just have to maintain the correct tension.
Tony Matt
Sun Feb 10 2013, 06:35PM
Tony Matt Registered Member #3700 Joined: Sat Feb 19 2011, 12:59PM
Hi Ash,
Here one suggestion. This dwg is only to open the discussions, DO NOT use for construction.
The core dimensions is not clear for me, you can check and correct.
Regards

EDIT: because the core window is small, I believe that it will be nescessary to provide a secondary center tap and ground togheter the ferrite core, limiting the HV gradients. The final drawing will provide informatio for this requirement

]trafo_ash_small_inverter_data_4hv.pdf[/file]
]trafo_ash_small_inverter_drawing_4hv.pdf[/file]
Ash Small
Sun Feb 10 2013, 08:18PM
That's certainly worth considering, Tony, it would definitely improve cooling.

Newton Brawn
Wed Feb 20 2013, 03:18AM
Newton Brawn Registered Member #3343 Joined: Thu Oct 21 2010, 04:06PM
Hi Ash 1

I just was comparing your drawing with the Tony dwg...

The core do not provide too much room for the 100kV insulation between the pancake and core, ( and between the pancake and primary), so the secondary has to be ct and grounded with the core . In this way the max voltage between core and pancakes will be 50 kV ( and 52 kV for pancake to primary )

If the primary stray inductance is about 5uH , the reactance @ 25kHz will be about 0.82 ohm,
So the voltage drop at 20A could be 16 volts.
I think this is acceptable, for a high voltage transformer.

Do you have another core with larger window ??

PLS confirm the inter layer insulation thickness.

tks

Ash Small
Wed Feb 20 2013, 10:27AM
Newton Brawn wrote ...

Hi Ash 1

I just was comparing your drawing with the Tony dwg...

The core do not provide too much room for the 100kV insulation between the pancake and core, ( and between the pancake and primary), so the secondary has to be ct and grounded with the core . In this way the max voltage between core and pancakes will be 50 kV ( and 52 kV for pancake to primary )

Hi Newton, centre tapped and grounded does sound like a good idea, as long as the insulation between core and primary is sufficient, thanks.

Newton Brawn wrote ...

If the primary stray inductance is about 5uH , the reactance @ 25kHz will be about 0.82 ohm,
So the voltage drop at 20A could be 16 volts.
I think this is acceptable, for a high voltage transformer.

Do you have another core with larger window ??

That will be a last resort, I'm more interested in minimizing the stray inductance and capacitance at the moment. I think I can get sufficient insulation using a combination of oil and plastic,

Newton Brawn wrote ...

PLS confirm the inter layer insulation thickness.

tks

I'm planning to use 1mm insulation between layers, oil impregnated kraft paper, but I think it could be a bit more if I need to reduce inter layer capacitance

My main questions at the moment are these: " Will Tony Matt's design using six pancakes have less capacitance than my design using three pancakes?" And "Will my design using 'pie windings' have less stray inductance than Tony's design using a primary over the secondaries?" Which leads to the question "Which design will have the higher resonant frequency?"

My 'gut feeling' is that six smaller capacitors in series will have less capacitance than three larger capacitors in series, for the same overall voltage, but that the 'pie windings' will reduce stray inductance.

As I'm not a mathematician, I'll have to build both, and measure them, I think.

I hope to post some more drawings later this week, if I get time.
Sulaiman
Wed Feb 20 2013, 06:03PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Just a small note for multi-layer secondaries to increase resonant frequency
wind one layer then run the wire across the windings back to the start of the layer then start a new layer,
i.e. all layers are wound left-to-right (or all layers are wound right-to-left)
insulate as required.
This technique reduces the voltage stress to half and the inter-layer capacitance to one quarter - doubling the resonant frequency .... ideally.
I've tried it and it works.
Ash Small
Wed Feb 20 2013, 08:31PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

Just a small note for multi-layer secondaries to increase resonant frequency
wind one layer then run the wire across the windings back to the start of the layer then start a new layer,
i.e. all layers are wound left-to-right (or all layers are wound right-to-left)
insulate as required.
This technique reduces the voltage stress to half and the inter-layer capacitance to one quarter - doubling the resonant frequency .... ideally.
I've tried it and it works.

I was planning to do this anyway, Sulaiman, although I'm not certain it actually does improve the voltage stress.

Say you have 1mm insulation between layers, and each layer is 1.25kV, If you wind right to left, then left to right, you have 2.5kV between the beginning of the first layer and the end of the second layer, so 2.5kV per mm of insulation. If you wind right to left, then wind 0.5mm insulation, then take the wire back to the start, wind another 0.5mm insulation, then wind the second layer right to left, you have 1.25kV between the beginning of the first layer and the end of the wire that you take back to the start after 0.5mm insulation, and the same from the start of the 'return wire' and the end of layer two.

1.25kV over 0.5mm insulation still equals 2.5kV per mm, or am I missing something?

I believe you've mentioned before that it decreasers inter-layer capacitance, but I didn't realise that it reduces it by so much. Thanks.
Sulaiman
Wed Feb 20 2013, 08:46PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
If your insulation is (say) one and one eighth of a turn
the return wire can run between the overlap.

Stagger each return wire by say 3/8 turn each layer and the nett effect will be
9 layers of insulation per 8 layers of windings.

Some insulation overlap per layer is required anyway so you loose very little space.

I keep mentioning this because it's simple and it works !
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: