Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

1978 Schluter Mini Boy Helicopter Restoration

Move Thread LAN_403
Chip Fixes
Wed Jul 04 2012, 03:16AM Print
Chip Fixes Registered Member #3781 Joined: Sat Mar 26 2011, 02:25AM
Ah my uncle won this from a friend in a bet and gave it to me a year later because he doesn't know much about it and it needs some work. I would love to at least get the engine running and hopefully get it off the ground. I was wondering if anyone has/does own one of these or if anyone has had any experience with engine powered helicoptors and could give me some help/advice.

I have a scanned copy of the manual (unfortunately no pictures) and have looked up pictures of it on google and from what I can see, there is not a lot that is missing. That being said I know that I need a whole fuel system (hoses and tank) along with the coil and wires for the spark plug. I have no idea where to get this stuff or what fuel I need to use.

Both the heli and the controller use rechargeable batteries and since they're both original I stopped down at the battery store and had them rebuilt with lipo cells. Unfortunately, the battery is in the transmitter itself and wired to a charging port. I do not have the charger so I am going to have to switch out the original charging port with something that will fit a wal wart charger.

The engine is an OS Max 45-F
The controller is a Futaba FP-T6FG
The removable RF transmitter is a Futaba FP-FT-AM
The receiver is a 6 channel Futaba FP-R6L There are 4 Futaba FP-S28 servos plugged into it.

I don't think it's ever been flown and the engine and electronics look to be in fantastic shape! If anyone knows of any good forums dedicated to RC helicopters or any other forums that could be of additional help, it would be cool if you could post the link.

Some pictures are posted below, I can provide additional pictures.

Thu Jul 05 2012, 05:53AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I am pretty sure that is a glow plug not a spark plug, all that should be needed to get it running is a fuel tank, some nitro model plane gas (10% nitro should work fine, if you have the engine manual you can confirm). There is a special clip you can get at a hobby store which clips onto the glow plug and you connect across a 1.2v nicad cell, which heats the glow plug for starting, after the engine is running you can unclip it after it is running. Also, you may want to get a few more glowplugs, they can get fouled when you are breaking in/tuning the engine, and I have found them to the #1 reason for a nitro engine not starting.

Is there any reason you want to ditch the nica cells in the transmitter? I think you will find that if you replace them with a fresh pack of nicads the transmitter will run for hours, and no fancy charging circuitry required smile

Looks like a fun toy, is there a model aircraft club nearby that can help you learn to fly it?
Chip Fixes
Thu Jul 05 2012, 05:27PM
Yes, you are right about the glow plug, my mistake. Thanks for the advice!

I decided to have the battery rebuilt so I'm guessing that they'll just use fresh nicad's. The battery can't be removed without taking apart the controller so I'm going to have to figure out a different charging port anyway :/

I'm going to Milwaukee in the fall for college and there are a couple flight clubs around :)
Electroholic
Fri Jul 06 2012, 04:10PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Looks fun, and a 4 servo setup that just screams old school. Get some blade tuning jigs, power up the servos and make sure the blades are tracking properly.
Chip Fixes
Sun Jul 08 2012, 03:01AM
Alright, I'll do that.

Also, I found some more information:
Building Instructions: Link2
Pictures: Link2
Set-up: Link2

Anyone know where to get a cone starter for it?
lightlinked
Sun Jul 08 2012, 10:36AM
lightlinked Registered Member #2087 Joined: Tue Apr 21 2009, 08:32AM
awesome! retro rc. have you flown before?
you'll want a modern gyro, as opposed to no gyro.
with a modern computer radio you could probably do a 120 degree ccpm conversion.
Chip Fixes
Mon Jul 09 2012, 03:36AM
No I have not, I definitely plan on learning though! Thank you for the gyro recommendation! I added it to my list of stuff to buy. Does anyone have any recommendation on modeling paint for wood/metal? If I'm going to spend the time and money restoring it, I might as well go all out :P

EDIT:
Would this be suitable for a gyro? Link2 I know it's cheap but the reviews say it's very good. I'd rather not spend $70+ if I don't have to.
lightlinked
Thu Jul 12 2012, 11:04PM
lightlinked Registered Member #2087 Joined: Tue Apr 21 2009, 08:32AM
if you havent flown before you should try to find a local to help you out since setting up the head/trimming and flying it out can be kind of complicated. not to mention the annoyances of glow plug engines. I would recommend starting with a heli that you can get parts for, you will need them. ideally you would want to train on a simulator since they are really tricky to fly. if you have a local hobby shop they probably have a simulator demo you can try out.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: