Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SGTC V2.0 - My Second Tesla Coil (UPDATED AGAIN)

Move Thread LAN_403
Sigurthr
Thu May 03 2012, 07:52AM Print
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Okay! I finished the coil tonight! Man it was hard work but it came out nice! Tomorrow I fire her up for the first time and tune her up.

Note: NO HV points are touching any wood at all. I used Nylon 1/4-20 bolts and nuts for all HV connections and tie downs. There is a sheet of plexiglass under the primary, and the stationary primary lead (for the first turn) is inside a 1" PVC tube. The spark gap is now in a 2" section of 1" pvc tube for increased airflow and HV insulation. The HV terminal on the secondary is never routed inside the coilform to avoid interal arcs/streamers.

Primary is tapped at the predicted 13.0 turns. Up to 14.75 turns are supported. Topload is only resting on the top cap for easy removal. Secondary is removable for easy transportation/storage.

Picture: Link2

Video: May I present: Sigurthr's SGTC V2.0 - YouTube

UPDATE: 5/3/12
I tested the coil today and found numerous pitfalls. What is clear to me now is that I am severed undercoupled and this coil requires more work. I will update the thread with all progress.

UPDATE: 5/4/12
It turns out the table I was working on has a steel plate under the wood and was sapping the inductance of my primary circuit, leading me to believe that the secondary had too much capacitance. I moved the coil inside and set it up on one of my wood only tables and it worked! I repaired/remade the primary tap with a better battery clamp and flexible stranded wire (the old one was 10ga solid and it broke from flexing) and put on a much smaller topload, and it tuned right up! I am quite happy with the coil now and feeling much better!

UPDATE: 5/14/12
I've made significant changes to the build and now achieving regular 18" streamers. Estimated output voltage 458kV.
Video: Link2
brandon3055
Thu May 31 2012, 04:41AM
brandon3055 Registered Member #4548 Joined: Mon Apr 23 2012, 03:52AM
Looks cool what are the specs?
Sigurthr
Fri Jun 01 2012, 10:24AM
Thanks!

Secondary: 18.5" of 30AWG HPN wire on a 4.5" dia form. hand wound 1/6" of a turn at a time, with no jig. (insanity)
Primary: 55 feet of 1/4" dia soft copper tubing - 6" ID, 25" OD, interturn spacing between 1/8" and 1/4", up to 14.75 turns.
Topload: 4" steel spheroid + breakout point
Tank Capacitors: 942C20S47K-F 0.01764uF x 16kV MMC
HV transformer: 7.5kV 30mA NST
Spark Gap: single stationary gap set to fire at 10kVp-p using two 1/4" brass sphere electrodes.
Quenching fan: Blower out of a $9 hair dryer. Powered by a 20VAC 10VA stepdown transformer.
All wires 14GA stranded or better.
All HV is isolated from the plywood base by plexiglass sheeting and nylon bolts.

It runs great now since the last change where I upgraded the wiring and fine tuned it. Regular streamers of 18" in length. There is some unfortunate breakout along the lead running from the final turn of the secondary to the topload, but I've mostly contained it with hot glue insulation. it looks ugly but helps performance. I'd love an alternative to fix the problem but I couldn't think of any. It even arcs under and around the hot glue a bit, but not very badly, it's just barely thicker than corona. Far better than it was without the hot glue.
Steve Conner
Fri Jun 01 2012, 10:45AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Sigurthr wrote ...

There is some unfortunate breakout along the lead running from the final turn of the secondary to the topload, but I've mostly contained it with hot glue insulation. it looks ugly but helps performance. I'd love an alternative to fix the problem but I couldn't think of any.

First of all congrats on your new coil! :)

To fix the unwanted breakout I suggest using a bigger topload that shields the top of the resonator better.

Insulation will only help to a certain extent. Eventually the high frequency corona will eat through it or set it on fire.
Sigurthr
Fri Jun 01 2012, 11:36AM
Hi Steve, thanks for the suggestion!
That is what I was afraid of, I went with such a small topload because I am at the edge of my tuning capability... 55feet of coil isn't enough if I were to move to a larger topload! I am tapped at 13 out of 14.75 possible turns on the primary. I had to solder on the outer 4.75 turns during post-production because it would not tune up even with no topload, the original design was for 10 turns but the secondary has way more capacitance than JavaTC and TeslaMap predicted.

So far the hot glue has held up to corona corrosion perfectly, but the PVC form has not. On the section of the wire where it breaks out, the HF tunnels underneath the hot glue making a (non-carbonized) channel in the PVC. In one section I managed to fully encapsulate the wire in hot glue which completely stopped breakout, but I couldn't do that to all the areas breaking out without risking a parial unwinding. The coil is polyurethaned, but not under the electrical tape which held the coil tight during coating. If I were to remove the hot glue from the area where it is breaking out I would also have to remove the electrical tape underneath it which is holding ~10turns in place. The wire there doesn't have missing insulation so it may be the ultimate fix but I'm a bit sqeamish about unwinding any of the coil, haha.
brandon3055
Fri Jun 01 2012, 01:42PM
brandon3055 Registered Member #4548 Joined: Mon Apr 23 2012, 03:52AM
I don't now if it would fix your problem but this is how I terminated the ends of the primary on my SSTC
1338558160 4548 FT137872 Imag0190

1338558160 4548 FT137872 Imag0192

1338558160 4548 FT137872 Imag0193

1338558160 4548 FT137872 Imag0197
it also makes disasembly very fast and easy no nuts or bolts required

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: