Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Laser Pointer

Move Thread LAN_403
Tetris
Wed Apr 11 2012, 12:00AM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
richnormand wrote ...

@HighVoltageChick

May I suggest reading this before exploring further,
Link2
In particular the note about IR leakage from DPSS lasers (what you have here) later in the article they comment on how to separate the IR from the visible. Considering that in some cases the IR could account to close to half the output power it is generous to call that leakage!

Another link you should explore is;
Link2

and

Link2

Happy reading and keep safe. These small units can roll or topple and the beam can hit your eye. It takes only a fraction of a second to result in a retinal burn or worse. To give you an idea at that power level (100mW) in my lab we have a door interlock and all personnel have laser google.

I read the first one. Luckily I have a webcam and the laser came with its own diffraction grating. I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking for on the screen, but I also tested it with a CD. I'm going to post two YouTube videos below once I finish uploading them. (combined 10 minutes, some talking)

testtest
Fri Apr 13 2012, 09:01PM
testtest Registered Member #3271 Joined: Mon Oct 04 2010, 02:29AM
richnormand wrote ...

richnormand wrote ...

@HighVoltageChick

May I suggest reading this before exploring further,
Link2
In particular the note about IR leakage from DPSS lasers (what you have here) later in the article they comment on how to separate the IR from the visible. Considering that in some cases the IR could account to close to half the output power it is generous to call that leakage!

Another link you should explore is;
Link2

and

Link2

Happy reading and keep safe. These small units can roll or topple and the beam can hit your eye. It takes only a fraction of a second to result in a retinal burn or worse. To give you an idea at that power level (100mW) in my lab we have a door interlock and all personnel have laser google.
Took some pics, hope that helps.

Setup is composed of a green laser module designed for a pen enclosure similar to the one you have. I embedded it in an Al heatsink to run it CW. Camera was an Olympus E500 with its IR filter present. I used a FGW Find-R-Scope IR to visible converter to image the IR light. Power was about 20 mW, as read with a Newport 1815C calorimeter power meter (reads heat from all wavelengths simultaneously) The diffraction grating was a cheap plastic 1" square from Edmonds used in school demos.

First photo is the setup with the laser on the right, grating in the middle taped to a 2 by 4 wood block and a screen made from a 8 by 11 notepad.. You can see the FGW on the table beside it. My glasses are next to it because I am wearing laser goggles while doing this.

Second is the screen with the visible first and second 532nm green spots and markings on the location of the 800nm pump IR and 1060nm fundamental IR beam as located with the FGW.

Next (#3) is an IR image with the FGW. Note the light spot and mess of scattered light at 800 nm right in the middle. This looks green because the FGW green phospor (as in the night vision googles). Compare with the second photo or the last photo in the dark in the visible only: there is nothing there. In the IR you see lots of light all over the place. The foremost left and right spots are the visible green light and the mess and extra spot in the middle is the laser light you do not see. But wait there is more!

The 1060nm light is focussed and right next to the second order diffrated green light on the right. It is hard to see on the camera, almost where the green is and just as bright but located about 1mm to the outside as indicated on the screen in the second photo. I would need a closeup lens for that or post a trace from the spectrometer. But I think the point is made. The nice green spot you see mask a lot of other IR ligth that has to be well filtered in a good laser. By omitting these filters one get an inflated reading from the power meeter from the IR light "leaking".

1334350403 3271 FT136668 P4136682 Medium

1334350403 3271 FT136668 P4136683 Medium

1334350700 3271 FT136668 P4136688 Medium

1334350700 3271 FT136668 P4136689 Medium

klugesmith
Sat Apr 14 2012, 03:47AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
richnormand wrote ...

richnormand wrote ...

richnormand wrote ...
May I suggest reading this before exploring further,...
Took some pics, hope that helps....
Fantastic photos and explanation there, Rich.
Is the disreputable laser module in "as purchased" condition?

Did you then accidentally bump your own post, adding no new content?
Original has the time label 13:58, quoted entirely in reply at 14:01 (PDT).
Conundrum
Sat Apr 14 2012, 06:37AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Yeah, I second others re. being careful.
green light is particularly bad as it is right in the centre of peak eye response so permanent damage is likely.

I'd use it for holography, as that little IR diode can be switched at high speed.
The circuit that I'd recommend is a preheater which gets the diode to subthreshold but no green emission, and a current pulser which increases current in a sharp spike to full power then "tailbites" the diode to shut down all emission.
Such a circuit would be handy as it generates very short pulses of coherent green light which would avoid blurring on the film.

Another interesting idea, build a simple laser TV setup.
Again you'd need to modulate the diode but this is feasible with a handful of parts.
Even building a resonant mirror using a pair of piezo speakers with carefully soldered sprung brass from a broken road lamp carcass, and mirror on one end.
use hall sensors to tune for resonance and for feedback.
-A
-A
testtest
Sat Apr 14 2012, 02:11PM
testtest Registered Member #3271 Joined: Mon Oct 04 2010, 02:29AM
klugesmith wrote ...

richnormand wrote ...

richnormand wrote ...

richnormand wrote ...
May I suggest reading this before exploring further,...
Took some pics, hope that helps....
Fantastic photos and explanation there, Rich.
Is the disreputable laser module in "as purchased" condition?

Did you then accidentally bump your own post, adding no new content?
Original has the time label 13:58, quoted entirely in reply at 14:01 (PDT).

Laser module is a cheapo from ebay. No mods done. they also have a pen kit to put the module in with the battery.
Probably representative of many of these green lasers found on the market.

Yes to the bumping! I contacted the mods to get the redondant post removed. Bjørn quickly cleaned it up.
Dont really know what happened but I was logged off while posting the last photo and I could not edit or remove the original

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: