Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rebuilding an x-ray tube.

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
plazmatron
Wed Apr 04 2012, 06:21PM Print
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
As some of you know, I have done quite a bit of x-ray work on here, and I also produce x-ray prints on a fairly regular basis as a hobby.

For a lot of the work, I have been using the Russian BSV-25 tubes. These are x-ray diffraction tubes, and are excellent for low keV radiography, from 2-20 keV.

1333560697 1134 FT0 Bsv25

Surplus tubes however, are quite old, and I have not yet, out of any I have bought, managed to run them, for more than 6 months before they start to become unstable. After 10 months or so, they become unusable.

For an undetermined reason the vacuum becomes 'soft' over time, and eventually the tubes flash over internally. This softness does not seem to happen during their 30 years of storage, but happens during use. They have always been run within the specified parameters, and so I conclude it is either outgassing of the internal components, or leakage through the beryllium window seals, due to radiation damage.

These tubes were pretty expensive (£80 to £100), and for the last few months seem to be no longer available, so not wanting to be deprived of my x-rays, I set out to rebuild the tube.

First of all the tube was sawn open with a diamond saw. The glass was discarded, and the Anode, and heated cathode retrieved. (measurements of the cathode to anode distance, and others were taken here!)

The Anode was turned down on the lathe to mate with a brass NW-40 vacuum flange. It was designed to be a tight fit, and was hammered on, and then the joins, inside and out, were silver soldered. Silver solder is the method of choice here, as it has a much higher melting point than lead tin solder, and a much lower vapour pressure.
A 10 mm hole was also bored into the anode body, to accept a 10mm diameter copper tube, and an NW-10 flange for connection to the vacuum system.

1333561410 1134 FT0 Anode1 1333561453 1134 FT0 Anode2

A short length of Pyrex tubing was acquired for the tube body, and this was epoxied into NW-40 Aluminium flanges. Ordinary epoxy cannot be used. It must be vacuum compatible, and the choices are Torr-Seal or Hysol 1C. I used the latter since it is MUCH cheaper!

Body

An NW-40 stainless steel flange was obtained for the Cathode end of the tube, into which was soldered a ceramic feedthrough for the heater. A turned copper ring was soldered to the inside face to provide support for the cathode assembly.

1333562098 1134 FT0 Feedthru 1333562136 1134 FT0 Cathodeparts

An aluminium tube was carefully machined, to push fit over the copper ring on the inside of the cathode flange, and the other end push fits into the stainless steel cathode jacket. A hole was machined into the side of the Aluminium support, to allow access to the heater connections.

1333562329 1134 FT0 Cathodemounted

NW flanges were chosen, since it makes assembly, and disassembly very convenient and easy.

Tube1 1333562572 1134 FT0 Filament

Above are images of the cathode assembly mounted in the tube body, and a view of the filament itself.

1333562652 1134 FT0 Finishedtube

And above is the assembled tube.

It should be noted that this re-built tube is designed to be permanently connected to a high vacuum system. I use a small Edwards EO50/60 diffusion pump, backed by a refrigeration service pump. The combination will reach operating pressure in around 7 minutes .

The biggest bonus here, is that the tube will essentially last forever. Being demountable, means I can clean the internal glass surfaces, re-finish the anode surface, and even replace the filament!

The tube has so far been on the vacuum rig to check for serious leaks, and is good. I have even produced x-rays with it at reduced voltage, and current. I am still awaiting some vacuum fittings, so it can be re-installed into its lead lined steel case.

Leslie Wright
Proud Mary
Wed Apr 04 2012, 07:11PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Industrious and ingenious, and good to see an old horse shod with new shoes. smile
Thomas W
Wed Apr 04 2012, 07:18PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
that is VERY well made, looks epic :D
N_N
Thu Apr 05 2012, 10:43PM
N_N Registered Member #4000 Joined: Wed Jul 13 2011, 06:27PM
That's awesome amazed
Nice job!

I have an experience in using such a tubes (BSV series) in x-ray diffractometers they are intended for. Normally the good ones work for years and usual reason of malfunctioning is than filament failure.
If the tube (usually at first run) flash over internally it is often helpful to run it without anode voltage with filament current close to maximal for a specific time (hours). Then the filament works as a getter.
plazmatron
Fri Apr 06 2012, 01:09PM
Thanks Guys and Gals!

Regarding the flashover, it never occurred at first run, and seemed to be a gradual thing.
I tried all the usual tricks including running the heater for hours, and applying anode voltage, at a very low duty cycle (1s on 30s off) for hours on end too, and whilst this improved the vacuum somewhat, it was only a temporary solution. Eventually the vacuum become so poor, that the tube would sustain a discharge with no heater voltage applied, and judging from the discharge, and the voltage that would initiate it, it looked by then to be at a pressure of around 1x10e-3 torr. My rotary pump can pull a better vacuum.

I even tried flashing the getter, though at this pressure it was doomed to fail. Yes the tube has a getter! If you remove the cathode connections, (one part unscrews, and the other parts must be unsoldered, and removed, as must the block of white silicone rubber (a very entertaining job getting you soldering iron down that end of the tube I might add!)) you will find a third lead that has been cut off, and this is for the getter.

1333717100 1134 FT136598 Getter

If you click the image above an take a look in the rectangular window in the side, you can see the getter filaments (there are two in parallel).

Interestingly, if you look at the sixth picture in the above post at the cathode assembly, you will see it is in two parts. There is an outer stainless steel shell, and the plain steel cathode assembly. If you enlarge the picture you will note two brown stains on the surface of that steel assembly. It is rust! That was noted the moment it was removed from the tube, and the tube still had some vacuum, before I cracked it open!

So who knows, I could have just been unlucky, and gotten tubes from a bad batch, or maybe they had been stored in a cold wet warehouse somewhere (I have actually seen really badly corroded tubes show up on fleabay).

Ultimately, they would have died anyway, as you say from the filament going open circuit. As I recall from the datasheet the lifetime quoted was pretty low.

cheesey
Proud Mary
Fri Apr 06 2012, 02:02PM
Les, you didn't mention at what voltage these flashovers occured, and with what anode elements, and I wondered how much thse variables might have to do with it.

I'm sure you will have done all the necessary graduated 'ageing' and such to re-absorb out-gassed gas, so perhaps you are right in thinking of slow leakage - permeability, porosity - of the windows or their seals over the years.

My own BSV-25 has a silver anode, and I have run it for five periods of 72 hours at 8kVDC without noticing any change of parameters - though this is hardly a stressful test, and few will be interested in this tube's very capable low energy performance.

I have also seen tubes offered for sale on ebay which may well have come from landfills, or ruined buildings, the plain brown cardboard of Soviet packaging buckled by wet, and black pits of corrosion visible on the tube windows.
plazmatron
Fri Apr 06 2012, 04:40PM
The flash overs on the last tube started at around started at around 20kv to begin with (you could actually hear it, long before the discharge became visible), and as the tube aged dropped to around 10kv, where is was no longer a flash over, but a sustained pale white discharge.

I lost one Fe anode tube, which I am quite annoyed about, and two Mo anode tubes. I'm annoyed about the Fe anode tube more because of the ~6keV peak, which was very useful. However, now I have the opportunity to use any anode material of my choice wink

One of the things I did note, which pointed me in the direction of Be windows, was that when the tubes were purchased, it was evident they had a coating on the Be windows (which fits with what I know from the patents). During the use of the tube, the coating changes from clear to brown, in the exact portions exposed to the x-rays. An image of the anode heel was quite visible on the windows. On the third tube I re-coated the windows with a substance called Vacseal by SPI. This is one of the coating materials used by modern tube manufacturers to coat the windows on x-ray tubes, as well as to bond camera tube faceplates etc etc. It was very expensive at £80 for 0.5 floz! And in the end didn't cure the problem, but it sure will come in handy in the future no doubt!.

The windows themselves seem to be bonded in with an epoxy, so it possible that they failed somehow.

These tubes, especially after the first one quit, were really well looked after by me. They were run in properly, cooled properly and powered appropriately, however I got far more than 72 hours use out of each. I have taken well over 400 good radiographs with them, with exposures ranging from 20 minutes, to over an hour and a half.

Yes, some did indeed look like they had been pulled from landfills!
Like I said, there is every possibility I just got unlucky!

Although losing tubes is pretty heartbreaking, I now have a much more useful and flexible tube.....

Proud Mary
Fri Apr 06 2012, 05:43PM
I've also noticed the state of the varnish or resinous coating on the windows, but have avoided poking it for obvious reasons. I've never been quite sure of its role - whether to add mechanical strength to the window, protect it from oxidation and corrosive gases, or add a secondary seal over the whole window assembly - or all of these things at once.

Yes, you will be able to sample the full à la carte anode menu with your new demountable tube. Even scandium! smile

1333733813 543 FT0 Scandium Spectrum

plazmatron
Fri Apr 06 2012, 07:27PM
From what I have read it is described variously as either an environmental barrier, or to prevent gasses leaking through the windows.

I was just looking at Scandium earlier, from the Amptek emission line chart you once sent me! High melting point too!

Incidentally, the anodes in these tubes are coated somehow with the target material. It looks like metal foil of the material of choice has been fused to the heavy copper anode. It is maybe 0.5mm thick.

I will have to build some form of spring clip arrangement, that will allow me to mount thin metal samples over the original anode.
Proud Mary
Fri Apr 06 2012, 07:46PM
Effective thermal coupling between your target sample and the anode block might present a challenge, but I suppose it doesn't matter that much if the target pits and starts to vapourise, if you have a trap of some sort in the pump line.

I noted you are using a fridge pump for backing now. Did your Javac conk out?

PS: I see that Denys has sold out of everything except some doubtful looking BSM1-Fe and BH3-Ge, which I've never much liked the look of, so that's that for exotic anodes at affordable prices for the time being, at any rate.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: