Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Simple parabolic antenna, Marx Generator driven (EMP)

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
The Imp
Sun Jan 15 2012, 09:47AM Print
The Imp Registered Member #4325 Joined: Mon Jan 09 2012, 04:54AM
I'm definitely no expert in antenna theory but I realize that for a highly directional pulse there are designs with either a TEM horn or a TEM horn-fed pulse to a parabolic antenna. But what about having two electrodes placed at either end of a parabolic reflector's focus in terms of gain? I put a crudish image below to show that. The issue is gain and not having deconstructive interference in the far field (from what I learned). What'd this kind of simplistic design offer? The assumption is that the reflector is of high quality with no imperfections to affect positive gain.

A couple things about the design: aiming for 200kv marx output to a 24 inch reflector. When researching antennas I don't see this kind of simplisitic design which leads me to believe it offers nothing or is terribly inefficient somehow. The closest thing I saw was a dipole antenna centered at the focus, but not sure how a spark gap would be coupled with that. Suggestions appreciated in general!
1326620839 4325 FT0 Reflector
Sulaiman
Sun Jan 15 2012, 10:01AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Your plan is specifically forbidden in just about every nation on earth !

You have no idea what frequencies or intensities you will be broadcasting,
what is the purpose of the device?
The Imp
Sun Jan 15 2012, 10:14AM
I have a set of cheap calculators and want to experiment building various shielding enclosures to test with. What you mention about not knowing about what frequencies it'd broadcast on raises a good point too. It may cause excessive interference like a spark gap transmitter, although its just intended to be one pulse and not a continuous transmission. Not sure, perhaps not going through building it is better idea... but plenty of people here have build marx generators, so is the issue not the generator but rather the antenna being a problem? The point of the antenna is partly for gain but mostly so it doesn't affect surrounding electronics by focusing the energy away from it. Although that in itself I have no idea if my idea would achieve that properly.

Is there a design I should consider like much lower voltage marx to still be able to test with but not cause problems? Sounds like naive question, actually.
Steve Conner
Sun Jan 15 2012, 10:30AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Marx generators are pretty good at radiating and destroying electronics even without an antenna. The generator tower itself, and the wiring carrying the discharge current back to the tower base, acts as quite a good antenna.

To make a directional EMP source suitable for experiments without being too dangerous, I'd use a UHF TV antenna, a length of good quality coax (pulse forming line?) a car ignition coil and a spark gap. I leave it as an exercise to the reader as to how to wire it up. tongue
The Imp
Sun Jan 15 2012, 10:34AM
Yeah, the wires themselves will radiate EMI too which will be undesirable for me if I can't have a relatively controlled environment. Perhaps the best solution is to build a gigantic faraday cage. $$$ :(
Proud Mary
Sun Jan 15 2012, 10:41AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
The gain of a parabolic antenna rises with the square of the ratio of aperture width to wavelength, so parabolics are not suitable for true UWB use, though very large aperture astronomical parabolics could have a good go at it.

The biggest unresolved problem with high energy UWB antennas fed by Marx impulse generators is transmission line flashover, which has resulted in some hopelessly inefficient antenna designs, such as bow ties with terminating resistors, where a compromise match is attempted at the price of energy burnt off in the resistors.
Steve Conner
Sun Jan 15 2012, 10:56AM
Yes, you quickly reach a contradiction where the antenna needs to have parts close together to work well at the high frequency end, but the same parts have to be far apart to stand off the high voltages.

Another way of saying the same thing: if you design a Marx for very high output voltage, it becomes a tall tower so the top won't just arc to the bottom. It then has high inductance as a result of its shape, so the output pulse has a slow rise time and doesn't contain much high frequency energy.

Around the same time as Nikola Tesla, the Indian physicist Bose (not the speaker guy!) was experimenting with millimetre wave generators based on small spark gaps. A google search should turn up some of his designs.
Proud Mary
Sun Jan 15 2012, 11:07AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Around the same time as Nikola Tesla, the Indian physicist Bose (not the speaker guy!) was experimenting with millimetre wave generators based on small spark gaps.

I recall some very interesting experiments where metal particles suspended in a dielectric fluid were excited with an HV discharge to produce millimetric waves. The particles acted as lumped-constant tuned radiators.
Steve Conner
Sun Jan 15 2012, 12:12PM
Interesting, do you have any links for further reading?
The Imp
Sun Jan 15 2012, 12:16PM
I'm fairly sure that I'd be faced with slow rise times with my design unless I can improve the switching somehow. Only easy thing I can do is keep the gaps aligned so that the first gap can help irradiate the other gaps. But that only goes so far.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: