Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

5mW 445nm laser?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Hon1nbo
Thu Dec 15 2011, 03:50AM Print
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
Hi guys,

I have been looking into making a 445nm, or similar, laser for a gun sight. However I have read in scattered places, without citations unfortunately, that the very popular and easy to obtain Casio 445nm laser diodes will not even lase below 25mW.

I found one laser from a trusted vendor that is 5mW (at ThinkGeek) but that has a $300+ price tag just to take it apart and potentially break it.

Not going to use 405nm.

Any ideas?

-Jimmy
Weston
Thu Dec 15 2011, 05:16AM
Weston Registered Member #1316 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2008, 03:35AM
Why can't you use a Casio diode at the lowest possible lasing threshold and then further attenuate the beam with a filter?
Hon1nbo
Thu Dec 15 2011, 06:31AM
Weston wrote ...

Why can't you use a Casio diode at the lowest possible lasing threshold and then further attenuate the beam with a filter?

I'm hoping to minimize optics as the laser will take a LOT of abuse (12ga shotguns don't exactly have the best recoil and parts stress of the gun lots).
Essentially the last thing I want is for a filter to break while in use and end up with a higher power beam.
Also, I was asking for clarification about the actual lasing threshold for the casio diodes if I didn't make that clear enough.

-Jimmy
Weston
Thu Dec 15 2011, 06:40AM
Weston Registered Member #1316 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2008, 03:35AM
A filter would be as simple as 2 cut plastic polarizers at any point in the beam path. Not much to go wrong with that.
Hon1nbo
Thu Dec 15 2011, 08:17AM
Weston wrote ...

A filter would be as simple as 2 cut plastic polarizers at any point in the beam path. Not much to go wrong with that.

I guess not, I'd have to get access to the school's laser lab to do a power test anyways, I'd probably be able to get some time to work on it and tweak it right.

-Jimmy
dmg
Thu Dec 15 2011, 03:16PM
dmg Registered Member #2628 Joined: Fri Jan 15 2010, 12:23AM
The crapio diodes (A-130/A-140/M-140) have a threshold current of about 150mA or so (-/+ 50ma diode to diode) and can well do those low powers, a diode can be had for ~40$.

Problem is, for gunsight use with those diodes is two things.

First, <50mw of 445nm still isn't very visable unless in the dark, in daylight or a well lit room you will not see the dot clearly if at all. This makes 405nm even less suitable, you will need much more power from it to even get close to 100mw of 445nm in terms of visability.
so IMO, <25mw of 445nm, or any lower wavelenth such as 405nm, is absolutely useless for what you are trying to do anyways. (at that point, your dollarstore 5mw 650nm is brighter.)

Second is the beam profile of the crapios, even lasing at such a low threshold (which it will singlemode, rather then multimode at higher powers) will still result in fairly undesirable divegance. (in comparison to a 660nm (LPC-815) with a much nicer gaussian profile).

Thinkgeek a trusted vendor? LOL.
A 300$ price tag is a complete rip-off for ANY 445nm laser.. you can find some lasers ~80$ that out 50mw-80mw, but you will need to look for ones that use the osram/opnex diode (3.8mm 450nm diode, single mode and better beam profile). And likewise for crapio diode lasers, the pricing is a bit higher, but not by much (DIY for instance)

In all I can't see why you would spend more then 100$ for this.

Im personally for the LPC-815 660nm diodes, cheap (can buy a new sled for ~7$), excellent beam profile and not much optics to go along with it so it will take abuse, a simple Ar coated 3 element lens will do you well. (and at the end of the day, 200mw of 660nm is still brighter then 50mw of 445nm)

But if you *really* must have blue, these diodes are probably better then the crapios, it will output the power range you are looking for, has a higher wavelenth so its more visable, and a single mode output with a nicer beam profile then the A-140s.

Link2

Cheers.
Hon1nbo
Thu Dec 15 2011, 07:00PM
Doomguy wrote ...

The crapio diodes (A-130/A-140/M-140) have a threshold current of about 150mA or so (-/+ 50ma diode to diode) and can well do those low powers, a diode can be had for ~40$.

Problem is, for gunsight use with those diodes is two things.

First, <50mw of 445nm still isn't very visable unless in the dark, in daylight or a well lit room you will not see the dot clearly if at all. This makes 405nm even less suitable, you will need much more power from it to even get close to 100mw of 445nm in terms of visability.
so IMO, <25mw of 445nm, or any lower wavelenth such as 405nm, is absolutely useless for what you are trying to do anyways. (at that point, your dollarstore 5mw 650nm is brighter.)

Second is the beam profile of the crapios, even lasing at such a low threshold (which it will singlemode, rather then multimode at higher powers) will still result in fairly undesirable divegance. (in comparison to a 660nm (LPC-815) with a much nicer gaussian profile).

Thinkgeek a trusted vendor? LOL.
A 300$ price tag is a complete rip-off for ANY 445nm laser.. you can find some lasers ~80$ that out 50mw-80mw, but you will need to look for ones that use the osram/opnex diode (3.8mm 450nm diode, single mode and better beam profile). And likewise for crapio diode lasers, the pricing is a bit higher, but not by much (DIY for instance)

In all I can't see why you would spend more then 100$ for this.

Im personally for the LPC-815 660nm diodes, cheap (can buy a new sled for ~7$), excellent beam profile and not much optics to go along with it so it will take abuse, a simple Ar coated 3 element lens will do you well. (and at the end of the day, 200mw of 660nm is still brighter then 50mw of 445nm)

But if you *really* must have blue, these diodes are probably better then the crapios, it will output the power range you are looking for, has a higher wavelenth so its more visable, and a single mode output with a nicer beam profile then the A-140s.

Link2

Cheers.

This would be for for use in darker conditions (night home defense, etc).
Also, I'm planning on actually having three lasers mounted, one 650nm (built into my sight already), one 532nm (weaver), and a ~445nm (weaver). Each has their own advantages (green during the day, red during dusk/nights, and blue at night).
On top of that I thought it might be interesting, so if it turns out to not work well at all then I at least made a project out of it.

You also say that that diode has a longer wavelength, but the specifications I can find list the same wavelength?

-Jimmy
dmg
Thu Dec 15 2011, 07:20PM
dmg Registered Member #2628 Joined: Fri Jan 15 2010, 12:23AM
The wavelenth specification is often mislabeling, if I can find the thread on LPF regarding the spectrometer readout, that diode does have a higher wavelenth.

I see what your doing now, I suppose in a dark indoors it would be alright then.

Id worry about the green though, it better be made by a reputable company otherwise the DPSS will get knocked out of alignment or won't work in TEM00 after the first few shots.
Hon1nbo
Fri Dec 16 2011, 04:03AM
Doomguy wrote ...

The wavelenth specification is often mislabeling, if I can find the thread on LPF regarding the spectrometer readout, that diode does have a higher wavelenth.

I see what your doing now, I suppose in a dark indoors it would be alright then.

Id worry about the green though, it better be made by a reputable company otherwise the DPSS will get knocked out of alignment or won't work in TEM00 after the first few shots.

The green laser is designed for guns. I'm only custom building the blue one.

-Jimmy
Shrad
Fri Dec 16 2011, 10:24AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
have a search for 9 color mini laser projector

a RGB color projector out of a PS3 laser sled and you have RGB, and can choose any color you like (even a 4017 and you can cycle colours)
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: