Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Experiments with inductive power transfer

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Wed Nov 02 2011, 12:16AM Print
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
This thread will be about unicorns.

I remember reading an article a long time ago about how you can put one turn of wire around your house, feed some audio into it and be able to pick that up anywhere in the house with a coil and an amplifier. So I figure the same might apply to inductive power transfer.

Proceeded to make myself some big coils. About 10 inches or so in diameter, coil one is a 2+2 turn one hooked up to what else but a royer. With a 680nF cap the thing resonates at 67kHz, so the inductance is 8.3uH. My harvesting coil is 4 turns of similar diameter, the load being an SSCP-7 LED, attached with no regard for its well being. Link2

Initial tests with no resonant cap seemed decent. From the brightness of the LED and my memory, it seemed like it was running at it's max rating of 19W. Link2

A book's worth of distance decreased the power to 75%, Link2 and it all but stopped glowing at about 6 inches. Link2

Bringing some resonance to the party with a 480nF cap across the LED, there was what seemed to be a 2 fold increase in power. The max distance increased to 10 inches Link2 and the poor little LED was being beaten with about 5 amps here Link2 Interestingly, the entire system is still more efficient than just burning off the extra voltage from that battery with a resistor.

I noticed that there were dead zones in where there was no transfer. Along the horizontal axis, there seems to be a certain area both outside and inside the powermaking coil where nothing happens. Link2 Some sharpie marker to clarify, seems to be about 1/6'th the diameter of the coil, 1/6'th of the way in and out. Link2

And a youtube video. Link2

With the coils perpendicular, the dead zone seemed to be in the center, 1/3 the diameter of the coil. Moving it out of here made light. Link2

I plan on making larger and larger coils to see if anything interesting happens. Next coil will probably be 3 feet across...
Inducktion
Wed Nov 02 2011, 12:32AM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Now make an Ipod charger with it and sell it.

Also, with the whole dead-zone thing...is it perhaps standing waves causing that?
Marko
Wed Nov 02 2011, 02:37AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi grenadier

The phasing of magnetic flux (think of it as static field lines if you wish) passing through your receiving coil is opposite for when the coil is on side of the transmitter, compared to being atop of it

As you move the coils perpendicularly it's natural to expect that at some point the total flux caught by receiving coil will be zero.
I also demonstrate the effect in my unicorn video.

Marko
Adam Munich
Wed Nov 02 2011, 02:45AM
I'm surprised that I could push 25W through a coil with such little copper in a system with such little loss.

Looking forward to making some bigger coils and running at higher frequencies, because that might be the key to useful wireless power. smile

Adam Munich
Wed Nov 02 2011, 11:21PM
W00t! My hypothesis appears to be correct.

No matter where the harvester coil is located within the solenoid, power transfer remains unchanged. I'm about to make a 4 foot coil now to see if this scales up...
Adam Munich
Thu Nov 03 2011, 12:03AM
Alright sorry for post #3 but seeing as this is already #1 on the threadlist...

It did not scale up. Center was dead as can be. Link2

So I decided to play with different coil shapes, and it looks like a long thin coil works ok. Link2

However, most surfaces are not long and thin. :-/ So, I decided to put some 'intruders' into the coil in an effort to increase its physical size. It worked Link2 but there were dead zones. Link2

Then I realized, I can just squeeze those dead zones tight , thereby eliminating them! Link2

So, I seem to have stumbled on the ideal coil for a flat surface. Neat. I need to get me some foamboard tomorrow...
Inducktion
Thu Nov 03 2011, 12:15AM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
I thought that a good form for a coil on a flat surface was a pancake. Like those used in disc launchers.
Adam Munich
Thu Nov 03 2011, 12:19AM
Only if the harvester coil is centered on the pancake. Plus, spiral coils are a pain in the ass to make.
Mattski
Thu Nov 03 2011, 06:12AM
Mattski Registered Member #1792 Joined: Fri Oct 31 2008, 08:12PM
Grenadier wrote ...

Alright sorry for post #3 but seeing as this is already #1 on the threadlist...

It did not scale up. Center was dead as can be. Link2

Were you getting a good amount of current through it at a high frequency? The inductance will be much larger with such a large coil, so the amount of current and frequency might have dropped. Plus with the larger area the magnetic flux density will also have dropped. Couple all of that together and the voltage will be lower. The voltage on your pickup coil is the equal to rate at which the total flux through the coil is changing ( Link2 ). For a "dumb" load like an LED you want a high voltage to get highest power, so for the most power you want high current, high frequency, and high field intensity. But these are balanced against things like cost, efficiency, and coverage area...
Conundrum
Thu Nov 03 2011, 08:13AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Have you considered making a "star coil" ?

This is essentially a circular coil but with the points facing inwards so that the coil flux is homogenous.

One way to explore this is to use magnetic viewing film, making a small copy of your proposed coil design and passing DC current through it.

Also, another idea to help keep it in resonance is to use two banks of reverse biased LEDs in inverse parallel with a DC bias current applied 180 degrees out of phase with the tuned circuit frequency.

One of my projects is to make a fully wireless Lifter powered by resonant power transfer, estimated altitude could be as much as 6 feet (!)

Kind regards, -A
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: