Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Wireless power transmitter

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
radhoo
Wed Jul 13 2011, 07:08PM Print
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
A proof of concept that works surprisingly well. Nice range and good efficiency.

Circuit diagram:
300x226

Other details here: Link2

Operating frequency : 63.1KHz
Xray
Mon Jul 18 2011, 06:30PM
Xray Registered Member #3429 Joined: Sun Nov 21 2010, 02:04AM
I built a similar project back in 1975. The idea goes back to the days of Nikola Tesla, and therefore it is nothing new. Some companies that make portable electronic gagets (such as cell phones and cordless toothbrushes) are just now starting to utilize this scheme for recharging their devices without using an electrical contact of any kind.
radhoo
Mon Jul 18 2011, 08:31PM
yes, tesla did this using spark gap oscillators, like in the early radio transmitters. I never said it was something new, but since I completed another project I thought it was a good idea to share it with the community. Bet tesla's design wasn't this compact :)
haxor5354
Mon Jul 18 2011, 08:51PM
haxor5354 Registered Member #2063 Joined: Sat Apr 04 2009, 03:16PM
the only problem with this technology is that the reciver have to very close to the transmitter. the recived power prabably follows the inverse square law.
Inducktion
Mon Jul 18 2011, 09:34PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
What if you up the frequency? ._.
Xray
Tue Jul 19 2011, 04:35AM
Xray Registered Member #3429 Joined: Sun Nov 21 2010, 02:04AM
radhoo wrote ...

yes, tesla did this using spark gap oscillators, like in the early radio transmitters. I never said it was something new, but since I completed another project I thought it was a good idea to share it with the community. Bet tesla's design wasn't this compact :)

I agree, this is a great project for electronic hobbyists, and you have given a good example of how it can be constructed. You did a nice job, and it looks professionally assembled. smile

Many years ago, I wanted to make a wireless headphone that would allow me to walk around my house while listening to an audio source that originated in my basement. I first tried the transformer technique by winding a VERY large primary coil around the entire perimeter of my basement ceiling, and the headphones were connected to a secondary coil that I carried on my belt. The unit was a little clumsy because of its size but it did work. But some time later I used the tuned circuit technique like you did in your project, and it was much smaller than my first attempt, and the secondary coil was also much smaller and easier to lug around. The circuitry was more complex than the simple transformer technique of coupling, but overall it was much better. In my case, I wasn't transmitting power to light a bulb or charge a battery, but I was transmitting modulated power, not unlike a standard AM radio transmitter. I used a carrier frequency of around 500KHz.

Patrick
Tue Jul 19 2011, 04:38AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Radoo what program did you use to make the schematic?
ZakWolf
Tue Jul 19 2011, 05:16AM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
any one try this one, looks fairly descent. Link2
Patrick
Tue Jul 19 2011, 05:24AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
SublimeVolts wrote ...

any one try this one, looks fairly descent. Link2

I meant the graphics part of his schematics pics (his look like steve wards) ... not the component values or connections.
radhoo
Tue Jul 19 2011, 02:27PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys, I was about to think you're all away on some exotic holidays, drinking cocktails and having fun cry

@haxor5354: all electromagnetic waves (radio, light, X-rays, etc.) obey the inverse-square law. so yes, distance can be a problem.
@Inducktion: I believe that would increase the power density. I can change the capacitor to increase the frequency.
@Xray: actually there is an easy way around that, probably you've all seen self-powered little radios using just a few components. would love to see your project, but since it was long ago, you probably don't have any pics.
@Patrick: I used ExpressSCH . It comes in a bundle with ExpressPCB
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: